Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coach Cal Talks About Kentucky's Great Myth
http://www.coachcal.com/11471/2012/02/th...r-program/
This is a great read, and we finally see his thoughts on the One and Done.
It was a great read and I really liked the example he gave abt giving the kids a reason to stay in school, the fund for their parents and giving them a stipend. I'm really against the one and dones anyway i think if you enroll in college then you have to stay 3 years or be 21 years of age which would cut down on the number of kids going over seas. Why would they wanna go over seas and play till their 21 when they can stay and go to college maybe even graduate early and make it to the league in the same amount of time and family and friends be able to watch you play.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:It was a great read and I really liked the example he gave abt giving the kids a reason to stay in school, the fund for their parents and giving them a stipend. I'm really against the one and dones anyway i think if you enroll in college then you have to stay 3 years or be 21 years of age which would cut down on the number of kids going over seas. Why would they wanna go over seas and play till their 21 when they can stay and go to college maybe even graduate early and make it to the league in the same amount of time and family and friends be able to watch you play.

There should be NO elgibility requirement, especially one based on age. Why should a potential NBA athlete wait till they are 21? Major League Baseball does not require an athlete to be anything other than a High School graduate. That could be a 16 or 17 year old. We have professional Soccer, Gold and Tennis players that are 15-16 years old, youngest being a 14 year-old female tennis player.

Nah, I completely disagree with age being a factor! If they complete High School, they should be eligible to make their own career choice! Finally, if you want to argue anything, then argue the fact that if a school gives an athlete a scholarship, then that scholarship should be for four years, not just one that must be renewed each the following years at teh schools discretion!
But without the age requirement we would have a bunch of young kids that are not ready going to the league. IMO it would hurt college basketball there would be less and less big time athletes not going to school. There would not discussion on where shabazz muhammed was going or Nerlens Noel, UK could have not gotten anthony davis, unc could have lost out on harrison barnes, uconn could have not got Mr. Drummonds, there would have never been a john wall or demarcus cousins an maybe no kevin durant for texas. Im not saying they wouldnt be any to come to school and even stay multiple years, just not as many and who knows maybe all of those would have went to school, i guess its just something we will never know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Good read, however I do not agree with the stipend for the player. They are already receiving a very good scholarship.

IMO, there should be two options, either you declare for the draft out of high school or you commit to school for 4 years if you accept their scholarship. There could be an exception to the 4 year policy if a player wants to leave for the NBA but then he must pay the University back for the scholarship years he will not be attending school. A possible third option would be to let the player enroll in school as a walk-on and then give them the option to leave early.
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:But without the age requirement we would have a bunch of young kids that are not ready going to the league. IMO it would hurt college basketball there would be less and less big time athletes not going to school. There would not discussion on where shabazz muhammed was going or Nerlens Noel, UK could have not gotten anthony davis, unc could have lost out on harrison barnes, uconn could have not got Mr. Drummonds, there would have never been a john wall or demarcus cousins an maybe no kevin durant for texas. Im not saying they wouldnt be any to come to school and even stay multiple years, just not as many and who knows maybe all of those would have went to school, i guess its just something we will never know.

That should not be your decision! There should be no age discrimination for your right to work! PERIOD!
Stardust Wrote:There should be NO elgibility requirement, especially one based on age. Why should a potential NBA athlete wait till they are 21? Major League Baseball does not require an athlete to be anything other than a High School graduate. That could be a 16 or 17 year old. We have professional Soccer, Gold and Tennis players that are 15-16 years old, youngest being a 14 year-old female tennis player.

Nah, I completely disagree with age being a factor! If they complete High School, they should be eligible to make their own career choice! Finally, if you want to argue anything, then argue the fact that if a school gives an athlete a scholarship, then that scholarship should be for four years, not just one that must be renewed each the following years at teh schools discretion!

Everyone knows our opinion on this lol

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.
I think to be an NBA player you should have to have a four year college degree.
I watched a documentary on kids that came straight out of High School to the NBA once. They buy expensive mansions and if they get hurt or don't renew their contract they lose them. One kid walked into walmart and spent 20k on random crap. One kid didn't know how to do laundry so he had one room in the house that he would just walk into and throw down multi-thousand-dollar suits and never wear them again. We could be setting them up for complete failure by letting them in the league out of HS.

If you're going to make millions of dollars you need to have the life-skills to manage it and college can teach you that.
That's not even mentioning the benefits it would have on college basketball.