Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Would Impose Taxes On Illegal Drugs
Bowling Green (AP) A bill before the General Assembly would require drug dealers to purchase tax stamps and require buyers to pay taxes on the illegal drugs they purchase or face tax evasion charges.

The measure would require drug dealers to buy a tax identification number from the Kentucky Department of Revenue. The department is barred by law from sharing the information with law enforcement.

The state would be able to seize property during drug arrests of the person had not paid taxes under the measure.

The bill would allow the law enforcement agency making the arrest to receive 70 percent of the money with local prosecutors getting 7.5 percent and the rest would go toward the administrative costs of the program.

At least one drug task force is behind the measure, hoping it can raise money to support law enforcement.

State Representative Stephen Nunn of Glasgow says Tennessee has a similar measure and has "pretty good success" with it.
Thats Kinda Cazy
as with most of these laws they sound good but are not realistic.most drug dealers will end up serving time for the dealing and the tax evasion and do not have anything to forfeit for law enforcement other than a car or two and some cash which from the recent big sandy news report needs to be turned over to the jails to pay the bills there.society would far better off to pay all education costs to age 25 and require all to attend college,vocational school or national service such as military or peace corps.
If they can find out who is selling the drugs to impose taxes on them, why don't they just arrest them for selling the damn drugs in the first place?
Most drug dealers are breaking the law last time I checked.  Why would they obey a new law to break another!  Just think we are voting for the people that are coming up with this junk.

Confusedurrender:
[quote author=thetribe link=topic=20779.msg209822#msg209822 date=1142195108]
If they can find out who is selling the drugs to impose taxes on them, why don't they just arrest them for selling the damn drugs in the first place?
[/quote]

Amen
[quote author=BelfryJustice link=topic=20779.msg209840#msg209840 date=1142196499]
Most drug dealers are breaking the law last time I checked.  Why would they obey a new law to break another!  Just think we are voting for the people that are coming up with this junk.

Confusedurrender:
[/quote]
Sums of my thoughts. This will more than likely pass through the House and Senate. Not because they support drug dealing but because somewhere down the line they will make a law saying revenue statements can be shared with law enforcement and then all of the idiots who abided by this dumb law would get busted. Then both laws will be out of society because there will be no need for them . hehe. I know I am off the wall sometimes.
This will only make the rich richer and the poor poorer. The police get enough money under the table from the drug dealers who provide them with hundreds of thousands of dollars in a cut to protect them and warn them of bust so they can get rid of their drugs and come away scotch free. The police really need more money from drug dealers..
Believe it or not, sales on illegal drugs or other illegal conduct have always been taxable.  You must report all income from any source according to the Internal Revenue Code.  They got Al Capone on tax fraud, not murder, prostitution, etc.  The federal government even required a tax stamp for selling whiskey when it wasn't legal to sell it.  They were going to get their tax money no matter what.  Many bootleggers paid it to stay out of a federal charge if they were caught.  Easier to bribe local politicians and police than the IRS.
[quote author=JMac link=topic=20779.msg210402#msg210402 date=1142266196]
Believe it or not, sales on illegal drugs or other illegal conduct have always been taxable. You must report all income from any source according to the Internal Revenue Code. They got Al Capone on tax fraud, not murder, prostitution, etc. The federal government even required a tax stamp for selling whiskey when it wasn't legal to sell it. They were going to get their tax money no matter what. Many bootleggers paid it to stay out of a federal charge if they were caught. Easier to bribe local politicians and police than the IRS.
[/quote]

So True.  They will get there money one way or another.
the gov wants his cut
lol i love it.  if it was passed i know there would be at least 3 arrests of dumbass dealers
This is without a doubt the most retarded way I've ever seen the lawmakers try to trick someone.
[quote author=BelfryJustice link=topic=20779.msg209840#msg209840 date=1142196499]
Most drug dealers are breaking the law last time I checked. Why would they obey a new law to break another! Just think we are voting for the people that are coming up with this junk.

Confusedurrender:
[/quote]

I agree with you 1000%      :thumpsup:
[quote author=thetribe link=topic=20779.msg210352#msg210352 date=1142260569]
This will only make the rich richer and the poor poorer. The police get enough money under the table from the drug dealers who provide them with hundreds of thousands of dollars in a cut to protect them and warn them of bust so they can get rid of their drugs and come away scotch free. The police really need more money from drug dealers..
[/quote]

LOL.. while some dealers, do pay off cops, I have to say saying hundreds of thousands is a little ridiculous.. It don't take that much, especially since some cops are actually customers.. so to keep from getting cut off they will tell.. and around here, since some officials are users, it actually makes it pretty easy for everyone to find out.. 

why do you think that just the small timers are the ones that keep getting caught and not the big time dealers?  the ones who can bring it in from other states.. lol.. the ones who make about 75 bucks a pill.. that would be good to tax i guess but it won't happen lol..

Something does need to be done though
I was saying that in total hundreds of thousands of dollars could easily be made. If one cop promises one dealer to protect him for say a thousand every so often, then he turns around and tells a little bit bigger dealer the same thing but raises the price, and so on and so forth..then it adds up. Cops in total make lots of money running a crooked business and a crooked government. Cops are customers, very true, and only one more example on how crooked they really are.

Something needs to be done but this tax..well, even though it pinned Capone, I don't see it flying well here.