Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is RUPP really that tough to play in?
Watching the game from home Saturday when Kentucky played Vanderbuilt, I watched the fans support their beloved Wildcats. They clapped politely on their rears, as lobs went up and Davis slammed it home, I saw them pump their fists, on their rears. I saw fans that probably used the exit through the main floor because of the climb up the steps. I saw such a lack of enthusiasm, I wondered is Rupp really that intimidating to teams that travel there. I am not so sure. I look at other schools that have the same color shirt on and are jumping up and down. Our arena, people are only sometimes elevated out of their seats a couple times during the game. If you ask me, that is not good enough for Kentucky Basketball. We are getting ready to remodel, it is time to change the way seating is done.
Not me... I was in the front row of the E-Zone clapping, yelling, taunting, and jumping every chance I could.... As a new graduate, I have to sit in the rest of the arena fairly often...and yes that kills me because I want to be up jumping, and yelling! It just doesn't feel natural to sit when all of that action is going on. So until something is done about the atmosphere in Rupp (put students around the court), the crowds will continue to be completely reactionary to whatever is going on down on the court, instead of spuring on the energy of the team.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, Rupp is that intimidating. Not because of the crowd, but because of the mystique! No one, and mean NO ONE is not in awe when you come into that arena, look from top to bottom and see a sea of BLUE. Then look into the rafters and see all those banners. I don't care who you are, that is an amazing sight! No, the fans are not intimidating, but Rupp is!
Stardust Wrote:Yes, Rupp is that intimidating. Not because of the crowd, but because of the mystique! No one, and mean NO ONE is not in awe when you come into that arena, look from top to bottom and see a sea of BLUE. Then look into the rafters and see all those banners. I don't care who you are, that is an amazing sight! No, the fans are not intimidating, but Rupp is!

Well said!! I completely agree!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
It doesn't matter if the fans are standing or sitting, it gets loud in that building.
mrsportsfan Wrote:Watching the game from home Saturday when Kentucky played Vanderbuilt, I watched the fans support their beloved Wildcats. They clapped politely on their rears, as lobs went up and Davis slammed it home, I saw them pump their fists, on their rears. I saw fans that probably used the exit through the main floor because of the climb up the steps. I saw such a lack of enthusiasm, I wondered is Rupp really that intimidating to teams that travel there. I am not so sure. I look at other schools that have the same color shirt on and are jumping up and down. Our arena, people are only sometimes elevated out of their seats a couple times during the game. If you ask me, that is not good enough for Kentucky Basketball. We are getting ready to remodel, it is time to change the way seating is done.

You only see the old people behind the bench...you don't see the students at the end of the court jumping up and down constantly, nor do ya see the fans higher up.

Rupp IS that intimidating, one of the loudest and biggest arena's in the country. If it wasn't intimidating, we wouldn't have the longest home-winning streak in the country that spans over three seasons..
Kentucky plays there, isn't that intimidating enough?
evidently lol
Considering UK has more wins at home han anyone else playing at there home court, then id say hell yea. Check this out.....

Kentucky won 129 home court wins in a row from 1943 to 1955. Georgia Tech finally ended the streak when they beat Kentucky 59-58. St. Bonaventure is next with 99 from 1948 to 1961, followed by UCLA with 98 from 1970 to 1976.

This is a list of home winning streaks UK has had at home, (note that Rupp isnt apart of all of them because UK played at Memorial before Rupp). Considering everyone thinks our 50 or so home court winning streak is pretty amazing, it doesnt come close (or has anyone else) to our 129 home win streak we had back in the Rupp days at Memorial.

Wins Team Seasons Ended by Score

129 Kentucky 1943-55 Georgia Tech 59-58
99 St. Bonaventure 1948-61 Niagara 87-77
98 UCLA 1970-76 Oregon 65-45
86 Cincinnati 1957-64 Bradley 87-77
81 Arizona 1945-51 Kansas State 76-57
Marquette 1967-73 Notre Dame 71-69
80 Lamar 1978-84 Louisiana Tech 68-65
75 Long Beach St. 1968-74 San Francisco 94-84
72 UNLV 1974-78 New Mexico 102-98
71 Arizona 1987-92 UCLA 89-87
The reason UK has the longest win streak at home is the refs! The refs can give calls, change calls, and not even call anything. For instance Davis can Mug somebody and they wont call anything, on the other end, a player looks at davis funny and they call a foul. Its just part of being the home team, i know! But none the less UK gets those calls at crucial points in the game and it carries them to a victory!
SPARTY Wrote:The reason UK has the longest win streak at home is the refs! The refs can give calls, change calls, and not even call anything. For instance Davis can Mug somebody and they wont call anything, on the other end, a player looks at davis funny and they call a foul. Its just part of being the home team, i know! But none the less UK gets those calls at crucial points in the game and it carries them to a victory!

Confusederiously:
My avatar speaks for itself!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I think the beginning of this Uk - Georgia game answers this question.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Move the eRUPPtion Zone to the other side. Imagine how hard it would be to hear for the other team then.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“This is a great tradition that we have to live up to. It feels good that we were able to do this for Kentucky.” Brandon Knight

“it was a tough one, but we’re the real blue.” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

"This is MY state!" Anthony Davis
SPARTY Wrote:The reason UK has the longest win streak at home is the refs! The refs can give calls, change calls, and not even call anything. For instance Davis can Mug somebody and they wont call anything, on the other end, a player looks at davis funny and they call a foul. Its just part of being the home team, i know! But none the less UK gets those calls at crucial points in the game and it carries them to a victory!

Wow, the troll lives...
lol, looks like Sparty is back guys...hahahhahaha.
Iv been on the floor of a empty rupp arena. It honestly feels like you are inside of a canyon I couldnt even imagine how it would feel to be wearing the wrong colors with 24,000 people in that place.