Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier boys win 24th straight state swim title
LOUISVILLE — Covington Catholic junior Max Williamson broke two state records, but it wasn't enough to prevent St. Xavier from securing its 24th straight boys' state swimming championship.

Williamson broke the 200-yard individual medley record (1:48.88) during Friday's preliminaries and the 500-yard freestyle record (4:28.89) at the Pannell Swim Shop/KHSAA Swimming and Diving Championship finals Saturday.

"Max is a special swimmer. He doesn't typically think it is all about him, although it is all about him when it comes to the media and the people in the stands and the swimmers he competes against," said Covington Catholic Coach Richard Dickmann. "He takes these high school meets as a chance to be part of the team and the results are obvious — two state records in two days."

Scott Ryan, who set the record in the 500 freestyle in 1987 for CovCath (4:29.67), presented the first-place medal to Williamson at the University of Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium.

"The most gratifying is the 500-freestyle record because it has been there so long, and to keep it in the Covington Catholic family," Williamson said. "It is a really good feeling."

Williamson's record-breaking performances led Covington Catholic to second place.

"You never can be too happy about second, but it has been a building process for us and we are starting to get some momentum," Dickmann said. "We have won five state championships and we look forward to the time we can get our sixth."

St. Xavier extended its streak of team championships to 24 years, outscoring Covington Catholic 484.5-235.

"Each team is entitled to their own place in that streak," said St. Xavier Coach Todd Larkin. St. X posted wins in the 200 medley relay, 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle relay and 100 backstroke.

"We knew we had the depth going in," Larkin said. "I am proud of how the team has trained all year long. We focus on what we control — our actions, our technique and our approach to the meet," Larkin said. "We had 26 individuals contribute to today's championship. That's where our focus will always be — on the team."

Tates Creek finished sixth with 99 points. The Commodores were sixth in the 400 freestyle relay and seventh in the 200 medley relay.

"I am really proud of our guys. They stepped up and swam really well," said Tates Creek Coach Dave Doolin. "For us, we are really young and graduate nobody — so the future looks really good."

Tates Creek sophomore Ethan Curl was fourth in the 500 freestyle and sixth in the 200 freestyle.

"I'm looking forward to next year," Curl said. "I think I am going to be a lot faster."

Fifth Region champ Paul Dunbar scored 93 points for seventh place. The Bulldogs were fourth in the 200 freestyle relay and fifth in the 400 freestyle relay.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/02/25/20838...rylink=cpy
The oldest high school swimming record in Kentucky was swept aside on Saturday by Covington Catholic junior Max Williamson, who smashed the second of two hallowed marks while erasing 38 years of history in two days at the KHSAA boys' swimming and diving championships.

Less than 24 hours after breaking a 13-year-old mark in the 200 individual medley in Friday's preliminaries, Williamson in Saturday's finals smashed the record in the 500 freestyle, a mark that had stood for 25 years.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Williamson's finishing time of 4 minutes and 28.89 seconds in the 500 free clipped Scott Ryan's clocking of 4:29.67 set in 1987. Ryan also swam for CovCath. He was at Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium to present Williamson his first-place medal.

"I had to thank him for giving me such an incredible goal to work for all these years," Williamson said of Ryan's mark. "Everyone likes to have them. But, at some point, they've got to go down."

Ryan drove from Cincinnati to see Williamson wipe his record from the books.

"It's shocking it stood for a quarter century," said Ryan, who set the mark at Eastern Kentucky University as a senior and later set the Big 10 record in the 500 free at Michigan. "I knew Max would get it this year and I'm overjoyed he did it."

Williamson got off to a torrid start in the 500 free, posting his fastest split of 24.01, but they slowed to between 27 and 28 seconds and CovCath coach Richard Dickmann became nervous. "He was putting up splits that weren't conducive for getting the record. I think the fact the guy coming up on him was making a move, and the crowd really getting into it, spurred him on."

Williamson touched the wall almost two seconds ahead of Ballard runner-up Jake Schultz. Highlands' defending champion Conner Downard finished fifth in the race. "I'm really happy but I hope my record doesn't last 25 years because that will mean we're not going fast enough," Williamson said.

He began his day in the 200 IM final with a winning time of 1:49.58, which fell less than a second short of his Friday record of 1:48.88. He capped it with a third state championship. He swam the first leg on CovCath's winning 400 freestyle relay team also including Hunter Pasek, Chase Vennefron and Sam Mullen. They came within less than a second of the 18-year-old meet record and left the Colonels something to shoot for next year following a second-place team finish.

St. Xavier with 484.5 points, won its 24th state championship in a row while more than doubling the Colonels' total of 235 points. Dixie Heights (89 points) was the next highest-placing local team in ninth, followed by Scott and Highlands who tied for 18th, and Beechwood in 21st.

"We might have finished second, but Max had an amazing meet," said Pasek who placed second in the 100 backstroke and third in the 100 butterfly. "Max was insane, just swimming so fast."

Vennefron added a fourth-place finish in the 100 breaststroke. Louie Hunt placed fifth in diving. CovCath finished second in the 200 medley relay with the team of Williamson, Vennefron, Mullen and Robbie Newman, and fifth in the 200 freestyle relay.

The Colonels improved one spot over last year's team placing of third and finished state runner-up for the fifth time in 11 years. "It's a step in the right direction," Dickmann said. "We've got quality swimmers; we just need to bulk up on our depth so we can compete with St. X."

http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...302250079/
Cooper sophomore Sharli Brady celebrated her first appearance at the KHSAA swimming and diving championships with a pair of state titles on Saturday. She became the first swimmer in Cooper's four-year history to win a championship, set a record and be named first-team all-state.

"Sharli is such a down-to-earth girl but she tries really hard, and usually success follows," Cooper coach Lisa Harkrader said.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Brady won the the 500-yard freestyle final in 4 minutes and 47.56 seconds at Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium, bettering the eight-year-old record of 4:48.79 by Sacred Heart's Caroline Burckle.

"She didn't know she was close to the record on Friday," Harkrader said of Bradi's season-finishing bursts. "When I told her she was close in the preliminaries, she said she could have held another breath."

Brady on Saturday also won the 200 individual medley final in 2:02.36 while helping the Jaguars to a program-best 10th-place team finish. "My goal is to always go as fast as I can and help my teammates," said Brady, who transferred from Notre Dame Academy.
SHE'S THE BOSS: Following the girls' meet, Cooper senior Samantha Bosshammer was awarded a $500 academic scholarship to the college of her choice. Picked from as many as 180 applicants, she is expecting to major in engineering at the University of Kentucky. Bosshammer's honor was based an essay about her academic accomplishments.
YOUTSEY THREE-PEAT: Beechwoood senior Justin Youtsey closed his high school career by winning his third consecutive state diving title. Youtsey, heading to Auburn on a diving scholarship, was pressed by Scott senior Logan Stevens before prevailing with 510.25 points. Runner-up Stevens, heading to Virginia Tech, finished the two-day, 11-dive event at 502.25. The final three dives were made during Saturday's finals following a preliminary round of eight. Youtsey fell short in his attempt to break the 13-year-old state record of 552.70 after shattering the regional record.

Beechwood also got a third-place finish from swimmer Annie Davies in the 100 freestyle event at Saturday's girls' meet and Ryle's Meredith Brownell placed second in the diving finals. Highlands' regional diving champion Carly Hill finished fifth and Beechwood's Madison Rylee was ninth.
DIXIE CONSISTENT: Coach Ed Cook's boys equaled their ninth-place showing of last season. They finished with 89 points after totaling 92 last year. Leading the way Saturday was fourth-place sophomore diver Bailey Harrison and senior swimmer Cole Garriott, who closed his prep career with a fourth-place finish in the 200 IM and fifth place in the 100 free.

Garriott also swam a leg on the Colonels' eighth-place 200 medley relay team featuring fellow senior Evan Dulaney and juniors Davis Hanna and Christopher Schoettker. Dixie placed eighth in the 400 freestyle relay with the same group.
http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...le?Avis=B2

For the St. Xavier swim team, the beat goes on and on and on.

The Tigers continued their dominance at the Ralph Wright Natatorium at the University of Louisville on Saturday, rolling to their 24th straight state title.

St. X, using superior depth, scored 484.5 points. Covington Catholic was a distant second with 235 points, followed by three more schools from Jefferson County – Trinity (189), Manual (144) and Ballard (131).

St. X coach Todd Larkin said state titles certainly don’t get old for the Tigers.

“Each year is special,” he said. “Each team is different.”

Larkin said he brought 26 individuals to the pool and they all had a hand in the Tigers’ success. “At St. X, we really stress the team aspect. That’s what it is all about.”

The Tigers got off to a solid start by winning the 200-yard medley in 1:34.26.

St. X won more events – William Buese the 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle relay and Michael Scheid Jr. the 100-yard backstroke.

Buese, a freshman, was taking part in his last meet for the Tigers because his family is moving to Baltimore in August.

“It’s really bittersweet for me,” he said. “It’s my first state meet and my last state meet. I wish I could swim here for three more years.”

In the 200-yard freestyle, Buese was edged by a friend, Ballard junior Jake Schultz.

Ballard coach Brad Hultz said he met Schultz about six months and ago and Schultz immediately started talking about the 200-yard freestyle.

“He’s been focused on this race,” said Hultz, who teaches English at Valley High School.

Hultz said the Ballard program is on the rise. “Every swimmer we put in the pool today will be back next year. If we can add two or three boys, we could challenge Trinity and St. X.”

One of the top individuals was Trinity sophomore Thomas Cooper, who grabbed the 50- and 100-yard freestyles.

Cooper set a state record in the 100 freestyle, swimming the preliminaries in 44.71. In the finals, he won in 45.09. Ballard’s Aaron Sexton was second in 46.89.

Cooper said he stayed focused. “I’ve learned never to take anything for granted. I was hoping to catch St. X. Maybe we can do it next year and topple the dynasty.”

Cooper wasn’t the only swimmer to break a state record.

Covington Catholic junior Max Williamson broke state records in the 200-yard individual medley and the 500-yard freestyle.

He set the record for the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:48.88 in the preliminaries. In the 500-yard freestyle, he set the record in the finals in 4:28.89.

Williamson broke the record of a fellow Covington Catholic swimmer, Scott Ryan, who set the record in 1987 .

Ryan, who went on to become the Big Ten Freshman Swimmer of the Year at the University of Michigan and now lives in Cincinnati, came down to watch Williamson break the record.

“That’s the only reason I came here – to watch him break the record,” Ryan said. “I knew he was going to do it.”

Williamson said: “His record stayed up there for a long time. It was great to finally knock it down.”