Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Tournament
That was a lot of points (above state scoring average) to be holding the ball?
HDE Wrote:Woolum was the best player on the floor the other night, but I've seen Smith play several times and she is very good.
I don't think there is a clear-cut choice as the best player in the region if you look at it objectively.
I do believe Smith and Morris will be No. 1 and No. 2 the next two years. I'm just not sure which order.
I think this year the top five would be Mitchell, Davenport, Smith, Morris and Mullins. You could make a case for any of them as No. 1.

For once i agree with you. Shocking isnt it?
Putting all trolling aside and getting real for a moment, your a 100% correct.
I obviously exxaggerate the level of play by Whitley to piss your Harlan friends off (and it works) but on a real note, this year you cant go against Mitchell. Clay has dominated everyone in this region, Harlan County and Whitley included. The thing about looking into next year is Smith and Morris will obviously be 1-2 in the region. As you said, either could be the best player over the next two years, but i honestly believe it will come down to whos team wins more. Luckily for Whitley, they return much more than Smith. Mullins is a great player, maybe the best indivdual player in the region, but Harlan just didnt give her any help. I know they played Whitley very early in the season, but it was very easy to see she carried that team. Take her out and Harlan doesnt get 10 wins.
Next year will be very interesting.
I think Clay is nearing the end of their regional championships. I think they'll win this year, but next year it may be wide open. They'll probably have to battle North just for a 49th district title.
Whitley will take the 50th next year with ease once again.
Knox will probably lock up the 51st again but do lose that Mills girl who is a good player.
In the 52nd, its Bell's to lose IMO. Harlan loses ms everytihn Mullins and HC will struggle mightily with a year older Morris.
bball lover Wrote:Just my opinion, but Harlan Co would have beaten Whitley, not easily, but they would have won. Either team would not have beaten Clay. Smith is a good player but definitely not on the same level as Mullins (#1 player in region, 20 ppg) Madden (probably tournament MVP this year, 18.5 ppg & 9.7 rebounds) or even Morris (who is a freshman 20ppg & 8 rebounds). Even Davenport is going to KY All Star tryouts (I know it is a senior event). Smith (18.4 ppg) doesnt rebound (2.7/game) has difficulty going left and shoots from below her waist. If she was the best in the region, you would know it because recruiters would be all over her and I am sure you would keep us posted on that. I dont know how you believe she is the BEST. Maybe she will be her senior year but as long as Morris is behing her it is doubtful. Plus NL's eighth grader stuck it to Whitley, so maybe Whitley should have pulled out that 7th grader you were talking about earlier. I will rank them for you very easily: 1-Mullins, 2-Madden, 3-Morris, 4-Woolum 5-Davenport and then 6-Smith

You obviously know nothing of the rest of the region.
Woolums was out most of the year and shes automatically the 4th best player in the region because of one good game?
You dont even mention Mitchell which is stupid, then you Davenport ahead of Smith when Smith had a much better season.
The players you listed are good, but if you would have seen Smith more than once this year as HDE did, you would change your opinion greatly.
Davenport had a very good year and played very well down the stretch when HCHS won 10 straight.

I wouldn't call it wide open next year.
North loses four starters. Their JV team was average at best. Clay wins that district again.
Mills is back at KC. Gregory graduates. KC still is the best there.
Whitley is No. 1 in the 50th with Corbin a solid second
Bell brings back four starters. HCHS will be good again. Harlan loses four starters and Middlesboro loses three.

1. Whitley County
2. Bell County
3. Clay County
4. Corbin
5. Harlan County
HDE Wrote:Davenport had a very good year and played very well down the stretch when HCHS won 10 straight.

I wouldn't call it wide open next year.
North loses four starters. Their JV team was average at best. Clay wins that district again.
Mills is back at KC. Gregory graduates. KC still is the best there.
Whitley is No. 1 in the 50th with Corbin a solid second
Bell brings back four starters. HCHS will be good again. Harlan loses four starters and Middlesboro loses three.

1. Whitley County
2. Bell County
3. Clay County
4. Corbin
5. Harlan County

I can agree with that, not just because you have Whitley number one, but you make very good points.
I didnt know North lost that ,much. That 8th grader was pretty good, but she'll have to be great with all of those players leaving.
The 51st is extremely weak. KC will roll through it just because there really noone else capable of giving them a run.
Corbin will be better. The Wilson twins are pretty good and will only get better. I wouldnt be surprised to see them play Whitley close next year. Bell and Harlan County will battle it out for the 52nd.

Next year i could see the region tournament being made up of the exact same teams it was this year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:She's a sophomore, of course there ot going to pick her.

How can you say that? Maci Morris from Bell Co. is just a freshman.
^
Morris didnt get picked either.
IMO, Morris and Smith were the two best players in the region this year.
But they always pick a upper classmen.

Smith will win it then Morris will.
Its just how it works.
Im just glad there so much young talent in this region.
Hey Run, I listed those girls because HDE used them in post #57. I do know a little bit about the region, I would bet as much as you, simply because I can admit when other players from other schools are better players. If you would like another opinion from me, try this on: Lets take Davenport and Woolum off of the list, Smith would not crack the top 3. Then lets add 4. Mitchell, then lets add 5. Stephny from Mboro (an 8th grader that no one on your team could stop. By the way that team almost got you like NL and their record is 6-22, then oh well, she would still be sixth. You talk about Mullins not having anyone to surround her, but she still excells. Would Smith excell as much if she were in Mullins position without help? I would say "doubtful!"