Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Jessamine girls’ soccer Lockridge signs with Kentucky soccer
The first member of the West Jessamine girls’ soccer team’s “Fab Four” has signed a national letter of intent.

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, senior Maddie Lockridge signed with the University of Kentucky.

“I think (Kentucky) has a top-notch coaching staff, and it just seemed like a really good fit for me,” Lockridge said. “I like that it’s close by and my parents can come watch me play.”

Lockridge was the Colts’ leading scorer this season, finding the net 24 times in 28 games. She also had six assists in her senior campaign, helping West to a 19-7-2 record, a district championship, and a region championship. The team advanced to the semifinals of the state tournament for the first time in school history.

Lockridge was named second-team all-state as a senior.

“She had a great season and great career,” West Jessamine coach Kevin Wright said during the signing. “(She’s) always had high character, been very coachable, very competitive; she holds high standards in the classroom and on the field ... UK’s very lucky to have her as a part of its team, and she’s going to do great things there. (She’s) always been a leader for our team and our young people.”

During her junior season, Lockridge scored 16 goals and dished out eight assists.

In her sophomore season, she scored seven goals and had 13 assists, was named MVP of the Colt Classic Championship game and named to the all-region tournament team.

In 2008, her freshman season, she scored three goals and handed out two assists. She helped the team to a district and regional championship and was named MVP of the Colt Classic Championship team.

During her four years, West went 67-18-9 overall; she recorded 50 goals and 29 assists.

Lockridge was almost more decorated off the field than on it.

She is ranked third in her class, is an AP scholar with honors, a DAR scholarship recipient, a member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club where she serves as the secretary, a member of Teens Against Tobacco Use (T.A.T.U.), and is a teacher’s aid.

She has also been a member of the Lexington Futbol Club for nine years and is a competitive dancer at Diana Evans School of Dance, winning numerous regional and national awards.

Lockridge will join former West Jessamine teammate Arin Gilliland who just completed her freshman season at UK.

Lockridge says she looks forward to being a part of the team next season.

“UK’s such a big sports school and I can tell that all the athletes are pretty close ... and I think it’s going to be a lot of fun and will keep me working hard and focused,” she said.

Lockridge has not decided on a major but is considering sports broadcast or sports management.
http://www.centralkynews.com/jessaminejo...6449.story