Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestling: State Tournament - Campbell County wins state wrestling title
[Image: http://www.state-journal.com/images/medi...1812ts.jpg]
Franklin County's Jose Rebolledo wrestles Perry County Central's Steve Hollon in the 220-pound weight class consolation bracket match Saturday at the state wrestling championship at Alltech Arena. Rebolledo lost to Hollon 2-7.
[Image: http://www.state-journal.com/images/medi...1812ts.jpg]

Western Hills' Christian Wilkins battles Danville's Elliott Porter in the heavy-weight consolation bracket match Saturday at the state wrestling championships at Alltech Arena. Wilkins lost 1-4.
LEXINGTON — The semi-finals at the KHSAA state wrestling tournament wiped out any chance North Oldham, Oldham County or South Oldham had of a state championship.

But despite a semi-final loss, OCHS freshman John Shirkey said he quickly regained his focus. After all, his day and his season were not done yet.

Following his only loss of the state tournament, Shirkey pulled together two wins to take third place at 113 pounds.

Shirkey’s finish topped five OCHS and five NOHS placers. SOHS’ four wrestlers who qualified for the tournament failed to advance past the quarterfinals.

In his third place match, Shirkey turned a close match into a blowout. Tied at three with Meade County’s Chris Abernathy, Shirkey scored the next five points, before taking a decisive 17-7 win.

“I thought I had a real chance of taking (the championship) and I still think I do,” Shirkey said. “It kinda set me back. I knew I had to get my head in the right place, get prepared because I knew there was still a chance at third and I wasn’t gonna settle for less.”

OCHS senior Tyler Kaelin took fourth place at 132 pounds after falling to Ryle’s Corey Ahern, while Brady Emerson (106 pounds) and Mikey Caudill (285) took fifth place. Senior Zac Gnadinger (182) took seventh place for the Colonels.

Senior Loren Avera took NOHS’ highest finish, at fourth place, but senior Chase Rusch provided the most drama, at 160 pounds.

In his fifth place match against John Hardin’s Wade Holtzclaw, Rusch claimed a takedown with four seconds remaining to break a 7-7 tie and win 9-7.

“I just thought, I had to get a takedown to win,” Rusch said. “My second thought was not to get taken down. There was a lot of positive and negative, but I just didn’t want to go into overtime.”

Junior Will Conard (195 pounds) and eighth grader Keegan Duncan (120) each took fifth place for the Mustangs, while senior Dylan Marksberry (170 pounds) took seventh place.
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...302180056/

LEXINGTON - After 16 years at the Frankfort Convention Center, the state wrestling championships moved to a new venue this year.

The dirt show floor inside Alltech Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park was covered with temporary flooring and allowed for six wrestling matches to take place at once.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

“It’s like everything else, it probably could use a little fine-tuning here and there, but what a showcase facility to let these kids have those premier matches in,” Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA) commissioner Julian Tackett said before Saturday’s finals.

The 5,700-seat arena opened in 2010 for the Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games. The KHSAA signed a three-year agreement to hold the state championships at the venue, Tackett said.

“This place has a little room to grow for the fanbase,” Tackett said. “We’ve got a huge percentage of our kids that actually compete in wrestling are competing in the state tournament. I don’t know how much more realistic growth there is, but this is certainly a better way to culminate the year.”

Crowds for both days of the state meet were strong. Saturday’s crowd of 4,917 was the largest ever for the state finals.

ERVIN ENDS RUSCHELL’S REIGN: Ryle senior T.J. Ruschell returned to the finals after winning the 119-pound title last year. His opponent in the 126-pound final was Union County sophomore Brock Ervin, the top-ranked wrestler in the weight class, according to KentuckyWrestling.com, and last year’s state champion at 112 pounds.

Ervin won the match, 5-4.

HEY JUDE: Simon Kenton junior Hiero Chamblee entered the state meet ranked 15th in the 170-pound weight class. He reached the finals where he lost 6-3 to J.J. Jude of Johnson Central.

Signed to play football at Eastern Kentucky University, Jude became the state’s all-time leading rusher this past season and is ranked No. 1 in his wrestling weight class. He finished the season 53-0.

LOCAL ROUNDUP: Of the 17 wrestlers from Northern Kentucky who reached the semifinals in their weight classes, title hopes were dashed for seven.

Simon Kenton freshman Elijah Owens finished fourth at 106 pounds. Ryle advanced three juniors to the semifinals - Gus Adams (fifth at 113 pounds), Keegan North (sixth at 120 pounds) and Corey Ahern (third at 132 pounds).

Simon Kenton junior Joey Parrott finished fourth at 120 pounds.

Campbell County sophomore Sean Fausz lost to Union County sophomore Brock Ervin at 126 pounds. Ervin won the 112-pound title last year and returned to the finals on Saturday. Fausz finished third.

Dixie Heights senior Charlie Cornett lost to top-rated Larue County senior Drew Newberry in the 220-pound semifinals and finished fifth.

In other results: Walton Verona sophomore Clay Brown lost his quarterfinal match but wound up winning third place at 120 pounds. Simon Kenton junior Drew Harris (132) suffered a second-round loss but came back to finish fifth while teammates David Bergman and Colin Patrick finished seventh at 195 and 285 pounds.

Dixie Heights senior Anthony Castellano rebounded from a second-round loss at 126 pounds to finish fifth. Teammate Austin Jackson, a sophomore, wound up eighth at 138 pounds after losing his first-round match. Boone County junior Sam Steele lost his second-round match Friday but finished eighth in the 182-pound weight class.