Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestling: Camels' Franck wills his way back to state
http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...302170157/

LEXINGTON — Motivated by a loss at last year’s KHSAA state wrestling championships, Mason Franck is focused on making another run for the heavyweight title.

Ranked second in the state at 285 pounds, the Campbell County senior won his first and second-round matches Friday at Alltech Arena. He is scheduled to face Graves County senior Shane Speed in today’s quarterfinals. If he wins, Franck could face top-ranked DeSales senior Trevor Ford in the semifinals.

“I’m pretty motivated,” Franck said. “It was tough to get through the first two weeks (after losing in the finals last year). I was completely devastated.

“It’s just one of those things you’ve got to get through to get ready for next year.”

Franck’s surprising run to the finals last year ended with a defeat to No. 1 Aaron House of North Hardin, and getting back to the state tournament this year hasn’t been easy.

A lineman on Campbell County’s football team, Franck suffered a broken bone in his right foot playing in the Camels’ opening-round playoff victory against Tates Creek in early November. The injury required surgery and sidelined Frank for eight weeks.

“I came back the first week of January,” Franck said. “Last week at regionals, the kid I wrestled in the finals I had lost to previously in the year because of the foot. I came back and I pinned him in the second period. Then I knew I was back 100 percent.”