Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wrestling: Boyle County's Kody Wade wins regional title
Kody Wade took the fight to his opponents and walked off with a regional title.
The Boyle County senior beat No. 7 Nick Waits of Central Hardin 5-2 Saturday in the final of the 152-pound weight class at the Region 2 championships in Danville.
“I had a good wrestler, very talented wrester, very physical,”¿Wade said of Waits. “But I took my shots this time instead of letting people take shots on me. I came in today doing what I wanted to do — not what everybody else wanted to do — and it worked out this time.
“I was more aggressive — more taking it in my control instead of letting other people control me.”
Eight wrestlers qualified for next week’s state tournament at the Kentucky Horse Park, with four finishing as a regional runner-up.
Boyle’s Lucas McCain lost 8-0 to LaRue County’s Kyle Edlin, but was pleased with his day overall.
“It’s my second year and I got second place, so I’m happy,”¿said McCain, an alternate to state last year. “Overall, I think I did really well. In the beginning, I felt a little sick from losing weight, but after a while I got back into it and I think I finished pretty good, and I wrestled my best.”
At 126 pounds, Danville Daniel Lannum took second to Central Hardin’s Wyatt Overman, losing 6-4. Lannum, who was sixth at 112 pounds at state last year, said he did not wrestle the match he wanted in the final.
“I should have stayed a lot more in control than I was,”¿Lannum said. “I was jittery, nervous. Overall, it was a really good day, but taking a loss didn’t feel too good.”
Zack Cope of Boyle was seeded second at 145 pounds, and that is where he finished after dropping a 12-2 major decision to Anderson County’s Eric Spencer.
“I knew I was second seed, but there are some really good wrestlers and I’m really happy just making it that far,”¿Cope said. “(Spencer) definitely knew what he was doing. I know I gave it all I had, and he was just better.”
Rhodes Bell was the final area wrestler in the finals, falling to LaRue’s Caleb Canter 6-0 in the 170 pound final.
“I expected to be in the final, I just really wanted get Canter,”¿Bell said. “I would have liked to have had a another chance at Canter and finish off the day.
“He’s a tough kid, and I just didn’t get to work some of the stuff I wanted to.”
Elliott Porter of Danville placed third at 285 pounds after edging LaRue County’s Eli Meredith 3-2 in their third-place match.
Two other area wrestlers finished fourth to earn a berth to state.
At 160 pounds, Boyle’s Dallin Tritapoe lost to Jacob Vincent of Anderson County 3-1, and Boyle’s Austin Muntz was pinned in 48 seconds by Jared Mattingly at 220 pounds.

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...3168.story