Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swimming: Manual gets title, and Rist gets date
Konnor Rist helped her Manual High School swim team set two relay records and capture a team title in Saturday’s Region Two meet.

But perhaps as important was that Rist secured a date for her senior prom, popping the question to Kentucky Country Day junior Connor Lohman over the public-address system at the University of Louisville’s Ralph Wright Natatorium.

“He’s been my best friend since I was 10 years old,” Rist said. “I kind of hinted at it. I was like, ‘There’s going to be a big announcement. I need you to be here at this time.’ ”

Lohman’s “yes” was just one highlight of a big day for Rist and her teammates, who nipped Sacred Heart 338-337.5 for the team championship. The Lady Crimsons and Valkyries likely will be top contenders for the title at the State Meet set for Feb. 23-25 at U of L.

St. Xavier dominated the boys’ event, outpointing runner-up Trinity 469-213. Ballard was third with 150 points. St. X will be heavily favored to capture its 24th straight state title later this month.

Girls

Rist helped Manual get off to a fast start, swimming the first leg of the 200-yard medley relay team that posted a regional-record time of 1 minute, 45.54 seconds. Peyton Greenberg, Emily Holt and Jordan Caravona were other members of the squad.

“Beating Sacred Heart in the medley relay is a huge thing,” Manual coach J.C. Barnett said. “I can’t remember them losing a medley relay, and I go back to the ’70s.”

Moments later Rist went searching for a prom date — and got an assist from Barnett.

“I was standing next to the young man when she asked the question,” Barnett said. “So he only had one option as far as I was concerned. He gave her the thumps up, and I said, ‘That’s a good decision, kid.’ ”

Sarah Love (50 and 100 free) and Elizabeth House (200 free) won individual events for Manual, but Sacred Heart countered with victories from Miranda Mercke (200 individual medley and tied for first in 100 breaststroke) and Leah Stevens (500 free).

The competition for the team title came down to the final race, the 400 free relay. Manual trailed by 5½ points entering but gained a six-point advantage by winning in a meet-record time of 3:30.44. House, Rist, Love and Kimberly Zehnder were relay members.