Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(9) Duke 85 - (5) North Carolina 84
Austin Rivers with the game winning 3 at the Buzzer

Rivers 29 pts, 6 3's
14 3's for Duke
Ouch!
If you're coaching a team and want to show them how to finish a team off when you have a double-digit lead late...
it could be a good learning tool to show them this game and explain how you should do everything UNC did only opposite
I would hate to be a North Carolina fan right now......
I would hate to be Tyler Zeller right now! He missed free throws at the end, tipped the ball into Duke's basket to keep them within 1 FG, and then let Austin Rivers shoot it in his eye for the win!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
So much for that "experience factor".

All we hear at the beginning of the year is how this teams experience would prevail against anybody at the end of games.

WELL, at home, up 10 with a couple minutes left, they blow it.

Congratulation UNC on being you. You never dissapoint us UK fans.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I would hate to be Tyler Zeller right now! He missed free throws at the end, tipped the ball into Duke's basket to keep them within 1 FG, and then let Austin Rivers shoot it in his eye for the win!

What was he thinking? Zeller lost his mind in the last two or three minutes. Foul him and send him to the line before you let him shoot a wide open three. UNC showed timothy that they are not really strong defensively, but that effort at the end was pathetic. I bet they still win at Cameron though.
Love it!
Rivers is the real deal. It was fun to see dad get to experience that game (and get booed to boot)
Duke is still not a good team IMO...

LOL @ Zeller
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

oh oh oh
zaga_fan Wrote:If you're coaching a team and want to show them how to finish a team off when you have a double-digit lead late...
it could be a good learning tool to show them this game and explain how you should do everything UNC did only opposite

I agree. Roy Williams will use this game to teach and help his team get better.
Stardust Wrote:Rivers is the real deal. It was fun to see dad get to experience that game (and get booed to boot)

It's true he stuck that jumper, but he's spent most of this season
as this year's Harrison Barnes. AKA super highly rated recruit who's face is on
a milk carton.
ekff Wrote:Duke is still not a good team IMO...

LOL @ Zeller

I'd say more accurately that Duke is not a really good or great team.
Because of their discipline and shooting, they'll beat a lot of teams
that are more physically talented in the top 20, but they're clearly
NOT a top 10 team as I was pointing out in December to great derision on
this forum. The big lesson from last night is that UNC's pounding to
FSU was not a fluke. UNC is a team that WILL QUIT.
Strikeout King Wrote:I would hate to be a North Carolina fan right now......

But I love for Carolina fans to be Carolina fans right now.
RoShamBo Wrote:What was he thinking? Zeller lost his mind in the last two or three minutes. Foul him and send him to the line before you let him shoot a wide open three. UNC showed timothy that they are not really strong defensively, but that effort at the end was pathetic. I bet they still win at Cameron though.

No way on this earth would I have fouled him at that point lol
I think you take your chances defending the 3 before you give him 2 freebies
RoShamBo Wrote:What was he thinking? Zeller lost his mind in the last two or three minutes. Foul him and send him to the line before you let him shoot a wide open three. UNC showed timothy that they are not really strong defensively, but that effort at the end was pathetic. I bet they still win at Cameron though.

No way you foul there... Zeller should have been up on Rivers, Zeller was playing Rivers to stop the drive. Up 2 you have to play the shooters tight. Take away the 3 and give up a driving lane. Zeller should have known that...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Duke, North Carolina, who cares? I don't like either.
zaga_fan Wrote:No way on this earth would I have fouled him at that point lol
I think you take your chances defending the 3 before you give him 2 freebies

Right, but the problem is he didn't defend the 3, so if he fouls playing tough defense he at least gives them a chance to win. Not playing defense at all, they lose.
DSRfan Wrote:I'd say more accurately that Duke is not a really good or great team.
Because of their discipline and shooting, they'll beat a lot of teams
that are more physically talented in the top 20, but they're clearly
NOT a top 10 team as I was pointing out in December to great derision on
this forum. The big lesson from last night is that UNC's pounding to
FSU was not a fluke. UNC is a team that WILL QUIT.

What do you expect from a team whose coach has quit on them.

And for the record I don't know who timothy is. Damn swype texting. :igiveup:
"Break it down NOW!"

Okay, so from UNC standpoint this game has to be the culmination to this point! Big build up, just maintain, lose it in the end. It was a complete microcosm of the season. The loss of Strickland is such a HUGE hit to this team in multiple aspects. They will still have to talent to win ANY game but they now are completely suseptable to so much more on defense as evidence in Duke hitting 14 threes and one player hitting 6 of them. Strickland was their lockdown defender and the main threat to keep teams best player under wraps. Now, they have to rely on their offense to completely overpower teams and "score more points" rather than "keep them from scoring points!" UNC is now on the brink of letting this magical blend of talent slip to a 2 seed possibly even a three seed. Credit has to go to Duke for not quitting down the stretch and working all the way back to have the chance to win. Bad luck and lack of foul shooting plauged Tyler Zeller and completly the perfect storm for the Tar Heels to lose!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:What do you expect from a team whose coach has quit on them.

Well Roy usually doesn't quit til March. World beater in December,
world class Choker in the tournament.
Austin Rivers is legit. The guy can absolutely fill it up as a scorer. His defense needs a lot of work though, but he is only a freshman and he will get better.
itzAmazing Wrote:Austin Rivers is legit. The guy can absolutely fill it up as a scorer. His defense needs a lot of work though, but he is only a freshman and he will get better.

He's got some big time talent, but his shot selection is pretty sketchy.
Doubly so for a Duke team that's ever more reliant on shooting than normal.
This team's front court is sad for a top 10 team, and it can't
afford bad shots. Credit to Rivers for taking and making the
game winner. Problem is he's likely to take similar shots
when unnecessary. And that was a BAD shot in any other
situation than time expiring desperation, and needing the
win not to the tie.
This is exactly why I can't stand duke. Just an incredibly lucky team sometimes. They hit some good shots, yes, but it took a little help from Zeller on that tip in (seriously, how often does that happen??) and a little luck to make a couple of the threes they took. Just like them getting away with a walk against Kansas this year before Thorton hit that crap three to put them ahead, just like them being down 10 to Maryland in 2001 with 50 seconds to go in the game and coming back to win in OT....yeah they're pretty good (I don't think this is one of their great teams though) but they just get the best crap luck of any team I've ever seen.

I turned this off when UNC went up 12...totally thought they had this one but I was wrong. Duke may take both games this year, it'll be awfully hard to win at duke. UNC made some dumb mistakes late...I don't care who you are, if you put 5 of us out there up 10 with 2:30 to go...we should be able to hang on and win that ball game. UNC did not. They will bounce back though and I'm sure they will be a force in the tournament.
I dont understand why Barnes is praised so much. I honestly dont think hes a game changer. Hes a god player, but IMO is just another role player.
itzAmazing Wrote:Austin Rivers is legit. The guy can absolutely fill it up as a scorer. His defense needs a lot of work though, but he is only a freshman and he will get better.

I don't think he's legit, not yet. He doesn't see teammates, is a proven ballhog, and takes way to many bad shots..way to many shots too. If he were at Kentucky, that style might work, but not at Duke. I just don't think he's that great of a player, he hasn't really shown it against good teams except this one really...
"the Expierence Factor" is a march madness thing! Thats when the inexpierenced get beat. But Austin Rivers a BEAST! He is the best guard of his class and will be great for Duke in the coming years! He has Ice water in his veins.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"