Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(1) Kentucky 78 - (7) Florida 58
Good game by UK. Uk's defense shut out Florida's threes. You'd think with a 20 point lead Cal would try to play some of the other players at the end.
Holy crap. The last time I remember seeing a Florida team get thrashed like this at UK was 2003 when they came into Rupp as the #1 ranked team...Ironically UK was the #7 team at the time. GREAT win for UK. Teague and Gilchrist with double doubles...Davis being Davis...hot 3 point shooting for UK...what else can you say?

Now another big test - Vanderbilt!
Very impressive showing for UK tonight. It's not every day that you send the #7 team in the nation home with a 20-point spanking, but that's exactly what the Cats did.

I swear, the way Kentucky is playing right now, there's not a team in the country that can stay with them. Going back to the 24-point blowout down at LSU, then a 25-point blowout of the Vols, then the 34-point annihilation of South Carolina, and now this total domination of a top-10 team in Florida.

It's good to be a Cat fan right now.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Very impressive showing for UK tonight. It's not every day that you send the #7 team in the nation home with a 20-point spanking, but that's exactly what the Cats did.

I swear, the way Kentucky is playing right now, there's not a team in the country that can stay with them. Going back to the 24-point blowout down at LSU, then a 25-point blowout of the Vols, then the 34-point annihilation of South Carolina, and now this total domination of a top-10 team in Florida.

It's good to be a Cat fan right now.

lets see what they do saturday, if they win by 10 there then things are looking good..
This was Marquis Teague's best game of the season. Scoring, defense, distribution, he did it all tonight and continues to improve every game.
Cant say anything other than domination.
Game Ball - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist: He wasn't perfect, some of his shots were poorly selected and he made a couple ball-handling mistakes. But overall, he was simply indomitable. 13 points, 13 rebounds and 3 assists to go along with peerless defense. Magnificent game.

-----

Good Thoughts:

- Kentucky's defense, it was magnificent in most aspects...although I felt they yielded too many open looks from three. Kentucky harassed, annoyed and worried the Gators into some loathsome shooting, so bad in fact that the game was never competitive after the first 15 minutes.

- Anthony Davis was somewhat worthy of the gameball, he was offensively and defensively dominate, but I felt he didn't rebound enough grabbing only 6 rebounds. But 16 points & 4 blocks, along with several altered shots is very good.

- Marquis Teague may have played his best game tonight, and but for a few turnovers and a couple bad decisions, he was as close to his potential as he has been able to reach. 12 points & 10 assists were the highlights, but was a little marred by 5 turnovers.

- Darius Miller was what I expected him to be...a nightmare for Florida. They had trouble with him all-night long, and if he had wanted...he possibly could have scored 30 against them. 9 points, 1 rebound & 2 assists may not sound like much, but he was a major factor in many more plays than show up on the scoreboard.

- Doron Lamb was a scoring machine, and it was he who repeatedly crushed Florida's spirit by making the open looks that he is suppose to make. He played about as well as he ever has, at anytime. 18 points, 3 rebounds & 1 assist.

- I thought Kyle Wiltjer played well, as did Eloy Vargas. Wiltjer didn't shoot a high percentage from anywhere but three, but he got 3 rebounds & 1 block. Vargas did a good job defending Patric Young when he was in, and even tho he didn't effect the stat line, he did some good things.

- 11-11 in free throws. That is 100% folks.

-----

Not So Good Thoughts:

- I thought Kentucky turned the ball over a little too much tonight. 13 turnovers is about 3 more than I would have liked, and Teague had far too many for my liking. The pressure is still bothering him some, and that needs to improve.

- Terrence Jones was not aggressive tonight. He was a bit limited by fouls, but he did manage 7 rebounds. But he need more out of him.

- If Doron Lamb can get 3 rebounds at 6'4, then why can't Miller at 6'7. Just asking?

- Kentucky had a couple brain-dead stretches that a national champion team can't afford. Mostly due to lack of focus, they can do better.

- Even tho we were perfect from the free throw line, we should have gotten to the line more.
Davis 8 Field Goals, SEVEN DUNKS!!!!!
It was nice to see Coach Cal's new Recruiting Coordinator in the Arena, usually he is usually too busy out making deals that he can't make the games..... Wink

[Image: http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2012/02...uSt.79.jpg]

Stardust Wrote:It was nice to see Coach Cal's new Recruiting Coordinator in the Arena, usually he is usually too busy out making deals that he can't make the games..... Wink

LOL, what the hell?

I bet the big orange would die if they seen that.
Stardust Wrote:It was nice to see Coach Cal's new Recruiting Coordinator in the Arena, usually he is usually too busy out making deals that he can't make the games..... Wink

Please tell me you are joking.

On another note, some are saying that UK needs to lose at least one more game during the season to keep them grounded, does everyone agree/disagree?
judgementday Wrote:Please tell me you are joking.

On another note, some are saying that UK needs to lose at least one more game during the season to keep them grounded, does everyone agree/disagree?

I have coached for many years and I can HONESTLY say, I have never ever felt our team has ever "needed" a loss. Trust me, if your team is getting big headed and believing their hype, losses is not what corrects it. Coaches see it and coaches either choose to address it or ignore it. Have I ever experienced a team with a big head, heck yeah. What did I do? I got those guys so pissed at me from such a hard practice that they hated me! No, there is no such thing as a loss will do you good! A good long practice will cure those issues!
I loved this thrashing of the Gators. Now, let's go get Vandy and their educated wacko liberal fans.
To the above question of needing another loss, no. Probably a close game against a team they are much better than, just so they keep working hard, but certainly not a loss.

The way they are playing, come tournament time, there is no film of how to beat them. The only thing a person can say is pray there is a ref with a whistle stuck in his throat (whistle blows every time they breathe, lol) and shoot REALLY well from three. Davis has proven that he can stay out of foul trouble when a game is called regularly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No. 1 KENTUCKY 78, No. 8 FLORIDA 58

FLORIDA (19-5): Young 5-10 2-2 12, Murphy 3-11 0-0 7, Boynton 6-12 2-2 18, Walker 0-7 0-0 0, Beal 5-15 3-4 14, Rosario 1-4 1-2 3, Wilbekin 0-1 0-0 0, Yeguete 2-3 0-2 4. Totals 22-63 8-12 58.

KENTUCKY (24-1): Jones 2-7 0-0 4, Kidd-Gilchrist 4-8 5-5 13, Davis 8-13 0-0 16, Lamb 6-8 2-2 18, Teague 4-6 2-2 12, Miller 3-7 2-2 9, Vargas 0-1 0-0 0, Wiltjer 2-5 0-0 6. Totals 29-55 11-11 78.

Halftime_Kentucky 38-26. 3-Point Goals_Florida 6-27 (Boynton 4-8, Murphy 1-5, Beal 1-7, Wilbekin 0-1, Rosario 0-2, Walker 0-4), Kentucky 9-15 (Lamb 4-5, Wiltjer 2-2, Teague 2-3, Miller 1-4, Jones 0-1). Fouled Out_None. Rebounds_Florida 31 (Yeguete 7), Kentucky 38 (Kidd-Gilchrist 13). Assists_Florida 9 (Beal 3), Kentucky 18 (Teague 10). Total Fouls_Florida 12, Kentucky 13. A_24,389.
judgementday Wrote:On another note, some are saying that UK needs to lose at least one more game during the season to keep them grounded, does everyone agree/disagree?

Personally I don't think so. As scary as it is for other teams to think, I actually see more room for improvement in this team.

They haven't reached the max potential yet.
I missed this game due to a Calculus 2 exam but nothing better than the Gators losing
Beautifully played game by the cats! As everyone expected, Florida is a very one dimensional team, shooting the three roughly 30 times a game. The one and most important thing was to guard the threes, which we did very well. The game began to swing in UK's favor as the first half was nearing the midway point. I was rather impressed with the defensive showing in this game, which totally took Florida away from their gameplan. As the momentum and energy shifted completely in UK's favor the game was decided and hovered around 15-20 points. UK was lead on the defensive front by Anthony Davis (of course) and each player brought it. I loved the intensity, the passion, and the execution from the team last night and make 3 straight games with an A effort! They are beginning to round into the team we all envisioned at the start of the season!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
J-Rod Wrote:Personally I don't think so. As scary as it is for other teams to think, I actually see more room for improvement in this team.

They haven't reached the max potential yet.

Oh there's DEFINITELY room for improvement. This team has been
playing much better on offense, but I still wouldn't say they are
playing well. Still too much disjointedness on that end, and
despite the improvement, there's still a lack of dagger to the
heart focus for these guys. Thye did a much better job
against the Gators, but they still let a little lackadaisical
play slip in when they had them down big. We can live with it,
and we can win a title with it. But I'd rather see them get
that '96 team attititude where it's not enough to put you
away, but they have to dig you back up and stick a dagger through
your heart on top of it.

So yes they CAN get better, but that might be why some
folks think we need a loss to generate that killer instinct
I'm talking about.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Beautifully played game by the cats! As everyone expected, Florida is a very one dimensional team, shooting the three roughly 30 times a game. The one and most important thing was to guard the threes, which we did very well. The game began to swing in UK's favor as the first half was nearing the midway point. I was rather impressed with the defensive showing in this game, which totally took Florida away from their gameplan. As the momentum and energy shifted completely in UK's favor the game was decided and hovered around 15-20 points. UK was lead on the defensive front by Anthony Davis (of course) and each player brought it. I loved the intensity, the passion, and the execution from the team last night and make 3 straight games with an A effort! They are beginning to round into the team we all envisioned at the start of the season!

Many have contended they have peaked. That is just wishful thinking. I still see this team make mistakes, but the mistakes are fewer and fewer. There is still growth for this team, which makes them scary good!
Stardust Wrote:Many have contended they have peaked. That is just wishful thinking. I still see this team make mistakes, but the mistakes are fewer and fewer. There is still growth for this team, which makes them scary good!

Correct, I do not think that they have peaked, nor do I think they will until march. The youth/ceiling that the team has is almost potential for one of the most dynamic ending products we seen in a while. I can not wait for the Vandy game to help put things in perspective for our team. They are playing well, playing together, now they need to go through the fire together and learn how to pull the big time games out in clutch situations. Lets go big blue!! Occupy Memorial!!
[SIZE="4"]
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Occupy Memorial!!

:Thumbs:
Stardust Wrote:Many have contended they have peaked. That is just wishful thinking. I still see this team make mistakes, but the mistakes are fewer and fewer. There is still growth for this team, which makes them scary good!

If the arc resembles last year, they're just now starting to
grasp things and come together.
This year's team just seems to have the perfect blend of talent and experience to make an amazing season!! Completely living up to expectations!!!
[SIZE="4"]
This Kentucky team went from great to scary great over a couple of weeks.