Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(2) Madison Central 78 - (1) Trinity (Lou) 77
Final from Montgomery County
Boom!
HUGE win for Madison Central! Two very good basketball teams and judging by the score this one was probably a dandy to watch.
According to the Courier-Journal Madison Central had the ball out of bounds with .1 second left and a foul was called away from the ball on Trinity and Madison Central made 1 of 2 free throws.
If that's true.....
I don't think you are allowed to catch and shoot with .1 seconds left.
So if the players touched anyone they needed to be handed an invitation to the JV squad lol
I never expected this game to be this close to begin with. I have a newfound respect and appreciation for Madison Central
GREAT GAME!!!!

Best two teams in the State. (period)

The last play was a good call.

Hawkins might be the best player in the state. This kid is for real.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll give anything to watch this match up again on Saturday night in Sweet 16.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Upset city!!!
I thought Trinity would win this game, but I'm glad Mad. Central won.
Here is recap:

January 21, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

No. 1 Trinity Falls Via Free Throw After Time Expired
Five Fouls Called in Final 11.2 Seconds in Shocking Finish
MT. STERLING, Ky. – No. 1 Trinity saw a late five point lead disappear in shocking fashion as Madison Central was allowed free throws after time expired in a 78-77 win for the second ranked Indians in the Joe B. Hall Prep Classic at Montgomery County High School in Mt. Sterling.
The stunning finish saw five fouls called in the final 11.2 seconds of the game, including one after the final buzzer had sounded against Trinity that allowed the Indians a chance to win with 0.0 remaining.
Junior Darryl Hicks hit two free throws with 11.2 seconds remaining to give Trinity a 77-73 lead.
The Indians were then sent to the line with 5.8 remaining and Dominique Hawkins hit two free throws to cut the lead to 77-75.
Hicks returned to the line with 5.0 remaining, but missed both shots. The rebound bounced towards the baseline where Miles Rice was called for an foul, sending the Indians to the line to tie the game.
Madison Central’s Hunter Allen hit both free throws to tie the game with 4.6 remaining.
After the inbounds pass, the ball was ruled out of bounds off a Trinity player with 0.1 second remaining. The Indians inbounded in front of their own bench and Trinity was called for a foul despite the clock reading 0.0.
Quan Taylor missed the first free throw, but nailed the second with no time remaining to allow Madison Central to stay unbeaten.
The Shamrocks had their 12 game winning streak, tied for the second longest, end with the loss. It was Trinity’s second game in as many days. The Shamrocks defeated rival St. Xavier 63-45 on Friday night at historic Freedom Hall in Louisville in front of 5,753 fans.
Senior Nathan Dieudonne was dominant for the Shamrocks, finishing with 21 points, including an 8-of-11 performance from the free throw line.
Trinity returns to action on Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012 when the Shamrocks travel to Pleasure Ridge Park to take on the perennial sixth region power for the first time since 2006. Tipoff is set for 7:30 p.m. with complete coverage available on Twitter via @trinitysports.
^ Thank you
Thought the ref's made a terrible call at the end, and this game should've went to overtime, but I think they wanted to just end the game because the next game started at 9:15. I'm still glad Central won though Smile
Appears several outlets are reporting that free throw shots were made at 0.1 left.

Want to clarify that shots were awarded and shot with 0.0 remaining on the clock. No offensive or defensive players were allowed on free throw blocks.
sounds like Trinity got screwed from reading this.
This sounds so much like the Scott Co.-Lex Cath regional finals in 2009. I hope it wasn't the same official that made the phantom foul call at the end of the game.
Stardust Wrote:[Image: http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2012/01...uSt.79.jpg]

did he jump off his back lol
Indians20 Wrote:Thought the ref's made a terrible call at the end, and this game should've went to overtime, but I think they wanted to just end the game because the next game started at 9:15. I'm still glad Central won though Smile

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:sounds like Trinity got screwed from reading this.

It was good call... They were the only two players in the paint so you could see it clear as day.....

Trinity kid held the Taylor (Madison) down..... It was clear as day...

But the .1 should have still been on the clock, because the foul happen before anyone touched the ball.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]