Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Impressed' and 'Delighted' Warren Buffett Matches GOP Rep's Deficit Donations
Warren Buffett will be writing a check made out to the United States Treasury for just over $49,000 to help pay down the national debt.
He's matching voluntary contributions made this year and last year by Rep. Scott Rigell, a Republican representing Virginia.
In a letter to Rep. Rigell released today by Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett writes he's "particularly impressed that you took this action before my challenge."
[ See also: Why Mitt Romney's Tax Rate Matters ]
In his challenge, issued in a Time Magazine interview last week, Buffett promises to match voluntary contributions aimed at reducing the deficit by "all Republican members of Congress, and I'll even go three for one with (Senate Minority Leader Mitch) McConnell."
McConnell, and other critics of Buffett's call for higher tax rates on the super-rich, have been suggesting that if Buffett thinks he's not taxed enough then he should "send in a check" to the Treasury.
In his letter to Buffett, also released by Berkshire, Rep. Rigell writes, that he "appreciates" and "gladly accepts" Buffett's "generous offer."
Rigell says he makes it a practice to donate 15 percent of his Congressional salary "to pay down the debt." That amounted to $23,103.33 in 2011 and about $26,100 in 2012.
[ See also: When Will We See the World's First Trillionaire? ]
Rigell adds, "Though we differ on tax policy, as fellow Americans and businessmen I know that we share this common bond: a deep concern over the state and trajectory of our country's finances."
Buffett writes back that he hopes Rigell's action "spurs an intramural rivalry between Republicans and Democrats .. a form of competition between the two parties that the American people would applaud" as a "small step" toward "better cooperation between the two parties."
Buffett will wait until April 20 to write his check to see if anyone else accepts his challenge.
Buffett also invites Rigell to come for a visit if he's "ever traveling near Omaha."
As for Rigell's offer to provide "documentation" of his contributions, Buffett tells him, "Your word is good with me."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/impressed-...56439.html
I love the challenge AND that he backed it up.

I take back a little of what I have said about big-money greed. I knew there were always people willing to help, but I guess it restored some faith back in the rich.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:I love the challenge AND that he backed it up.

I take back a little of what I have said about big-money greed. I knew there were always people willing to help, but I guess it restored some faith back in the rich.

If he is so convicted, how about he just write that huge check on his own and send it in, instead of going through this show pony routine, and not worry about what anybody else does.

This is all just a publicity stunt.
Bob Seger Wrote:If he is so convicted, how about he just write that huge check on his own and send it in, instead of going through this show pony routine, and not worry about what anybody else does.

This is all just a publicity stunt.
I agree, it's merely a publicity stunt. If Buffet was really worried about the debt, he wouldn't stop at 50K, he would pay 35% taxes like I do. 50K is a weekend's worth of spending for someone like him, with his money.

On a good note with Buffet, he has pledged to leave 99% of his money to charity, one being http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gates_Foundation, of which he is one of the founders, along with Bill and Melinda Gates. According to Wiki, they are very transparent, though.
^Remember though, he is willing to match ANYONE in Congress. If every Congressman gave, he would match all of them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Warren, or anybody else as far as that goes that will voluntarily write a check (of any amount) to the United States Treasury in this day and time must like sticking money up a hog's ass. Ouch! What a stupid stunt!
LWC Wrote:^Remember though, he is willing to match ANYONE in Congress. If every Congressman gave, he would match all of them.

That is exactly right. I love it,
It's great that Buffett wrote a check to the government. How many hundreds of millions of dollars in back taxes does is company still owe? Buffett is a hypocrite of the first order.
Someone on here that favors taxing the rich more please explain something to me. Since Reagan was President, and we had a trillion dollar deficit, till now when we're approaching 14 trillion...Every President has promised to cut spending, freeze spending and balance the budget. With that being said, how can you agree that more taxes need to be confiscated from citizens (rich, middle class or poor) to be wasted by our government? Freezing spending is a ridiculous plan in this economy, it's way past time to CUT THE SPENDING
DRASTICALLY! It's pure bafoonery to go along with ANY tax increases our money confiscators in Washington puke from their mouths. Please explain why any of you would go along with any kind of tax increase...Please? And just how long do you think it will be before they want more? It's got to stop!