Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win or lose, Anthony Johnson's job is on the line at UFC 142
Per Mmajunkie.

"RIO DE JANEIRO – Dana White today told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com) that he's "beyond pissed" at Anthony Johnson (10-3 MMA, 7-3 UFC) after the fighter came in 11 pounds overweight for a bout with Vitor Belfort (20-9 MMA, 9-4 UFC) at UFC 142.

The UFC president said Johnson came within a pound-and-a-half of the 186-pound limit allowed for non-title middleweight fights but was forced by a doctor to rehydrate because "he couldn't make it."

Now, Johnson is fighting for his job, regardless of whether he wins or loses the co-main event fight, which takes place Saturday at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

"His job is on the line," White said. "His job is absolutely on the line, win or lose."

White's explanation for Johnson's miss differed sharply from the fighter's representative. Johnson's manager, Glenn Robinson, today told Yahoo! Sports that the fighter fell ill three hours before weigh-ins and was instructed by UFC doctor Jeff Davidson to put fluids back into his body. Those fluids pushed Johnson to 197 pounds. (Robinson declined comment to MMAjunkie.com.)

"Complete and absolute unprofessionalism – that's what happened," White said. "There's no other way it can be explained.

Johnson was fined 20 percent of his "show" purse. It's the third time he's come in over weight in the UFC: At UFC 76, he fought Rich Clementi at a catchweight of 177.5, and at UFC 104, he fought Yoshiyuki Yoshida at 176 pounds. Against Yoshida, he was also fined 20 percent of his "show" purse.

However, the penalty for this infraction could be much worse."

On top of the 20% fine, he is facing a fight day weigh in and has to come in under 205lbs or the fight will be cancelled.
From what I've heard he suffered a minor injury that did affected his weight-cut.

I hope he doesn't get cut, I'd be pretty bummed.
If he was injured he should have pulled out of the fight instead of waiting til the last minute and coming in 12 pounds overweight. I believe this is his last fight with the UFC, instead of hydrating all the way up until fight time, now he is going to be be watching his weight as he will face another weight in before the fight. That could throw his game completely off. It wasn't an injury from what I'm reading, but that he came into camp way out of shape. He woke up at 191 pounds the morning of weigh ins....and apparently the cut was too much on his body as he starting getting sick and doctors ordered him to get some fluids, which pushed his weight right back up. If he was that sick at 191, there is no way in the world he was going to make 185. I hope they do get rid of him. He signed a contract to fight a man at 185lbs and didnt do his job....for the third time. I say get rid of him.
204.2...The fight is on.
^ Which means he is going to get destroyed. Taking that much weight off exhausts your body! If he does not win this fight in the first 60 seconds, he is in deep trouble.
He's got a pretty good gas tank, I think he can go 3 rounds if needs be.
Your fired!!!!!