Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(9) Kentucky 61 - (6) Tennessee 60 (Women's Basketball)
Final

Mathies with the game winner with 4 seconds left
Mathies finishes with 34
Great win for the women. Thought they were going to let it slip away, but Mathies made a huge play at the end.
Some people may think women's basketball is boring, but that was one heck of a game! A'Dia Mathies is unbelievable, and to make it even better, she is a KY girl.
Kentucky improves to 4-0 in the SEC for the first time ever. Matthew Mitchell is doing some great things with the UK women's program.
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- A'dia Mathies drove the lane and scored in traffic with 4.2 seconds left to finish with a career-high 34 points and No. 9 Kentucky beat No. 6 Tennessee 61-60 Thursday night to snap the Lady Volunteers' 36-game Southeastern Conference winning streak.

With Kentucky trailing 60-57, Mathies followed her own shot to cut it to one with 46 seconds left.

After Tennessee (12-4, 3-1) was called for a charge and Kentucky (15-2, 4-0) used a timeout, Mathies took the ball at halfcourt, dribbled into the lane and hit a 7-foot floater off the glass in the paint.

Kamiko Williams drove the length of the floor, but missed an off-balance 16-footer as time expired.

Tennessee lost for the first time since falling 53-50 at Georgia on Jan. 21, 2010.

http://espn.go.com/ncw/recap?gameId=320120096
HUGE win for the Lady Cats!!!
Well said blue1424!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I've been a season ticket holder for the lady cats and I dont regret spending a dime of it.
Great win for the UK Hoops program.
SEC champs anyone?...
Great win for UK. They've got what it takes to make a deep run into the tournament this year. But...I'm still trying to figure out what happened at Middle Tennessee, a 12 point loss. This Tennessee team is more important, though.
When all else fails, give A'dia Mathies the ball.

When the fancier things that Matthew Mitchell was drawing up were failing, the Kentucky coach opted to give his junior star the ball.

She did exactly what he expected, she drove the ball through two Tennessee defenders and scored with less than five seconds left to lift ninth-ranked Kentucky past No. 6 Tennessee 61-60 on Thursday night at a packed Memorial Coliseum.

"It was not a real genius coaching move," Mitchell said afterward. "It was a great player making a big-time move."

The junior made those moves over and over again in the big-time win for UK, which snapped Tennessee's 36-game Southeastern Conference win streak and helped the Cats move to 4-0 in the league for the first time in school history.

"Whenever they needed to score, they gave her the ball," UT senior Glory Johnson said.

That final bucket put Mathies over her career high and helped her finish with 34 points, nine rebounds, two assists and two steals for UK, which has won 15 straight at home.

"I looked up at the clock and was hoping it would buzz, but there was still four or five seconds left, so I just got back on defense," Mathies said when asked to describe the play that won the game.

Her coaches and teammates said they're never surprised by Mathies' ability to will her team to win.

"She's a great player and she's definitely our go-to player on this team," said senior Keyla Snowden, who had 11 points and four steals in the win. "With the ball in her hands, I'm very confident that she's going to make a play."

Behind Snowden and Mathies, Kentucky (15-2, 4-0 SEC) was able to build a commanding 12-point lead with 7:46 to play. Snowden scored seven in a row to help spark a 13-3 run.

In that span was a freakish series of events that saw Mathies heave up a three-pointer as the shot clock was about to sound. It went in and she was fouled by Vicki Baugh on the shot. Mathies put in the free throw, too.

"It was just one of those games," Mathies said when asked about that shot.

When the three-pointer went in, did Mitchell feel like maybe the moon and the stars had aligned perfectly that night?

"Well for two or three minutes," the coach said. "But then I thought they'd gotten out of whack again."

That's when Tennessee asserted itself, using an 18-4 run to go up again by as many as three points in the waning minutes of the game.

"We got so tentative on offense, playing not to lose instead of playing to win," he said. "Those were some big-time plays they made."

From Tennessee's perspective, it was points the Vols had been expecting all night from star players Shekinna Stricklen and Meighan Simmons, who went a combined 4-for-16.

"They hadn't hit a shot all night and then they finally hit two threes and got us back in the game," UT assistant coach Holly Warlick said of Stricklen and Simmons. "We have to have our two scorers step up and make plays."

Tennessee clung to a one-point lead with 45 seconds left after Mathies put back her own shot.

The Vols had the ball and the lead still before freshman Bria Goss took a charge to set up the last play.

Mitchell admitted he wasn't sure his team had anything left in the emotional tank after Tennessee (12-4, 3-1) made that late charge.

"That was a devastating run," Mitchell said. "For a team to have the character to come back — I mean it was not looking good — and to come back and win was great."

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/13/20262...essee.html
If I were Barnhart, I'd sign Mitchell to a life-long contract. When Summit steps down at UT, wait and see if they don't put the full court press on Matthew.
^ That will probably be at the end of this year
Congrats Lady Cats!
BCF4L Wrote:If I were Barnhart, I'd sign Mitchell to a life-long contract. When Summit steps down at UT, wait and see if they don't put the full court press on Matthew.

I agree. Matthew Mitchell has taken UK from the basement of the SEC to one of the best programs in the nation in 5 years. 3 years ago he had a very undersized team with just 2 post players that was picked to finished 11 out of 12 in the SEC. He lead that team to a 11-0 start, 11-5 record in the SEC, an appearance in the SEC championship game for the first time since the 1980's, and an appearance in the Elite 8 for the first time ever after blowing out 32-1 Nebraska. Over the last 3 years Kentucky has broken many records and beaten teams they hadn't beaten in a long time. Memorial is packed for every home game and a school record 14,508 fans showed up to watch UK beat 5th ranked Duke in Rupp Arena. UConn and Tennessee don't even have that many fans at their games. This past year he signed the best recruiting class in school history and now has 4 McDonald's All-American's on his roster. Kentucky had never had an All-American on their team before last year. The defense that he has his team play is called "40 minutes of dread". Kentucky may not be the biggest, strongest, or best shooting team, but they are going to full court press you for 40 minutes and go after every ball and contest every shot and give it their all. As good of a men's program Kentucky has, Matthew Mitchell is bringing the women's program right up there with them. I hope he stays for a long time.
BCF4L Wrote:If I were Barnhart, I'd sign Mitchell to a life-long contract. When Summit steps down at UT, wait and see if they don't put the full court press on Matthew.

I dont think UT is a threat to steal Mitchell. I think they have Mickie Demoss (UK's former coach) tagged as there next coach.

If anything, its one of the bigger programs that will be losing there coaches soon that will go after him.
Its a chance you take, any time you have a good coach who wins, of course teams will be after him.
IMHO, we should be paying Mitchell twice as much as Joker.
He has every advantage in the world at UK. I would love to see him win a national championship. Memorial needs some more banners in the rafters.
This is awesome..love it.

Also, anyone see that blonde beauty for Tennessee on the bench? I was praying she'd get in so I could see her butt, but no dice..