Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bud Selig to get extension as commish
Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig will receive an extension at the owners' meetings Thursday, as the owners have approved it, CBSSports.com insider Jon Heyman has learned. Earlier this week, Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported the extension would be for "at least two years."

Selig had previously said himself he would retire when his current contract expired -- which was set to be at the end of the 2012 season -- but evidently he's had a change of heart. This has happened at least twice before, when Selig said he would retire and ended up sticking around.

Allen H. "Bud" Selig, 77, took over as acting commissioner in 1992 and was then named full-time commissioner in 1998. He had previously been owner and team president of the Milwaukee Brewers.

Under Selig's watch, Major League Baseball has undergone significant changes. The wild card and newly realigned divisions came first.

Also, four expansion teams were introduced, interleague play was introduced, stiff penalties for performance-enhancing drug use have been implemented and limited use of instant replay is now used. Selig also started the World Baseball Classic and, of course, decided to award home-field advantage in the World Series to the league that wins the All-Star Game.

Moving forward, there are also further changes to the playoffs and the Astros will be moved to the American League.

Selig seems to be a rather polarizing figure among fans, so he'll continue to be that lightning rod for at least another two years. And at this point, it almost seems as though he'll be doing so for the rest of his life.

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.c...2/34308057
One thing he won't and won't let happen, as long as he is alive. Is let Pete back in! For this......I can't stand him! He needs to retire!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:One thing he won't and won't let happen, as long as he is alive. Is let Pete back in! For this......I can't stand him! He needs to retire!

So you think someone that bet on baseball, bet on his OWN TEAM, someone that screwed his team out of a World Series title deserves to be in the HOF? I do respect that he's the hit king but he screwed himself out of the HOF when he done that to his own team
Strikeout King Wrote:So you think someone that bet on baseball, bet on his OWN TEAM, someone that screwed his team out of a World Series title deserves to be in the HOF? I do respect that he's the hit king but he screwed himself out of the HOF when he done that to his own team

The player needs to be in the HOF. He never bet on his team to lose. So how could he have screwed them? And yes he does deserve to be in the HOF.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:The player needs to be in the HOF. He never bet on his team to lose. So how could he have screwed them? And yes he does deserve to be in the HOF.

you don't remember him betting against them to lose the world series? He caused a brawl with the Mets back in 1973 of the National League Championship Series.

Quote:1973 season

In 1973, Rose led the league with 230 hits and a .338 batting average en route to winning the NL MVP award, and leading "the Big Red Machine" to the 1973 National League Championship Series against the New York Mets.
During the fifth inning of game three of the series, Joe Morgan hit a double play ball to Mets first baseman John Milner with Rose on first. Rose's slide into second attempting to break up the double play incited a fight with Mets shortstop Bud Harrelson, resulting in a bench-clearing brawl. The game was nearly called off when, after the Reds took the field, the Shea Stadium crowd threw objects from the stands at Rose, causing Reds manager Sparky Anderson to pull his team off the field until order was restored. Mets Manager Yogi Berra and players Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Cleon Jones, and Rusty Staub were actually summoned by NL President Chub Feeney out to left field to calm the fans. The Reds ended up losing the game, 7-2, and the NLCS, 3-2, despite Rose’s .381 batting average in the series, and his eighth-inning home run to tie Game One and his 12th-inning home run to win Game Four.

According to the Dowd Report itself, "no evidence was discovered that Rose bet against the Reds."[2] This is in contrast to the case of "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and his teammates in the Black Sox Scandal, who were accused of intentionally losing the 1919 World Series. Those critical of Rose's behavior, including Ohio's own Hall of Fame baseball reporter Hal McCoy, have observed that "the major problem with Rose betting on baseball, particularly the Reds, is that as manager he could control games, make decisions that could enhance his chances of winning his bets, thus jeopardizing the integrity of the game."

In a December 2002 interview, investigator Dowd stated that he believed that Rose may have bet against the Reds while managing them

Quote:In March 2007 during an interview on The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, Rose said, "I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I bet on my team to win every night because I loved my team, I believed in my team," he said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."[25] Whether Rose bet every night is significant to whether he had an incentive to influence the team's performance depending on whether he had a bet down on a particular game. John Dowd disputed Rose's contention that he bet on the Reds every night, asserting that Rose did not bet on his team when Mario Soto or Bill Gullickson pitched.[26] Both Gullickson[27] and Soto had ERA's substantially poorer than others in the National League during 1987.
how is betting gonna make your team win? It doesn't
and it looks like Selig is gonna be the Commis through the 2014 Season.

Let me ask you this Hook, If, Say the Cubs or Cardinals had a player that bet on his team, not to lose, but if he bet on their team, would you want him to be in the HOF?
Strikeout King Wrote:you don't remember him betting against them to lose the world series? He caused a brawl with the Mets back in 1973 of the National League Championship Series.

OK...He tried to break up a DP. I've seen the play and don't have a problem with it. That is the way he ALWAYS played. What you just showed me is. He never bet on his team to lose. Always on them to win. And he did it as a manager. That's why I say the PLAYER needs to be in the HOF.

Betting on games is wrong. But, Pete didn't throw games to win any bets. That' is also why I think Shoeless Joe should be in the HOF as well. There was no proof that he tried to throw anything. JMO
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
but how is betting on your team gonna make them win? You say that he bet on them to win, how did he know what they was gonna do, win or lose?
^What I'm saying is. If you bet on your team to lose....you have a better chance of controlling the out come. ie....The Black Sox Scandal

How would you control the out come if you always bet to win?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
you can't control the outcome.

But why would you wanna risk your career, HOF, etc. etc. by doing a stupid thing by betting, even if you don't know the outcome of each game?
Gambling is a sickness, a disease. It makes people do things that they wouldn't normally do. Have you ever met anyone with a gambling addiction? I have. Art Sleister, I knew Art for quite some time and gambling destroyed his life.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Gambling is a horrible disease. I don't do it and don't see why anyone would do it. Just throwing their life's away
That's why I'm for Pete. He admitted he was wrong, even though he never attempted to throw any games. He got treatment for his problem and got back on the right track. He has done everything that Selig has asked him to do. He has been as low as you can go and humiliated himself all for his love of the game. I also think that when they do let Pete back in. They need to let Shoeless Joe back in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
not being mean but I seriously doubt them letting both of them in, I could be wrong, I've been wrong before and seen crazier things happen but I just don't see it
^I never thought I would see the Red Sox and White Sox win the World Series either....LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis