Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uk recruiting class of 2012
WILLIE CAULEY
C | 6-10 | 215
High school: Olathe Northwest
Hometown: Olathe, Kan.

The second 2012 prospect to commit to Kentucky, Cauley will bring a unique skill set to Lexington next season. He’s listed as a center at anywhere from 6-10 to 7-0, but the Kansas native says he doesn’t think he’ll play a ’5′ at the next level. He runs the floor extremely well for a player of his size, is a tremendous shot blocker, and can even handle the ball on the perimeter. Cauley still needs to grow as an offensive player and rebounder. If he doesn’t put on weight as a senior, you can bet John Calipari will want him to bulk up his 215-pound frame before he suits up for the Wildcats. One plus for Cauley is that he’s highly unlikely to be a one-and-done player. When asked by the Herald-Leader how long he’ll be in college before entering the NBA draft, Cauley said, “Hopefully, two (years). No later than three.” PrepStars analyst Brick Oettinger predicts Cauley as a three-year college player, and told the Herald-Leader: “Maybe he goes the whole four. But by then, he’ll be ready for the NBA.” However long he’s in town, Cauley will be expected to start his career by teaming up with Kyle Wiltjer to give opponents matchup fits. Cauley will sign with Kentucky on Wednesday.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...leymug.jpg]
ARCHIE GOODWIN
SG | 6-4 | 180
High school: Sylvan Hills
Hometown: Little Rock, Ark.

Goodwin became the first member of UK’s recruiting class of 2012 when he announced in September that he was committing to the Cats. The news didn’t go over well in his home state of Arkansas — where many had long expected him to pick the Razorbacks — but it was met with a collective sigh of relief in the Bluegrass. UK fans watched as five-star recruit after five-star recruit went elsewhere, wondering if John Calipari’s run of No. 1 classes would come to an end. Goodwin won’t ensure that streak will continue, but he’s certainly a good start. Goodwin’s game is well suited for the dribble-drive offense. He can penetrate to the basket, shoot well from long range and is known to be an unselfish passer. He also plays with tremendous effort on the defensive end. Goodwin’s best at the ’2′ position, but like current Wildcat Doron Lamb, he will probably be counted on to play a little point guard at Kentucky. “I chose (UK) because I felt like I could accomplish what I need to for myself,” Goodwin told Rivals.com. “And be a contender for a championship. … I think I could bring energy (to UK’s lineup). Scoring, defense and leadership to the team.” Goodwin is expected to sign with the Cats this week.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...winmug.jpg]
ALEX POYTHRESS
F | 6-7 | 205
High school: Northeast
Hometown: Clarksville, Tenn.

Before signing with the Cats on the second day of the November period, Poythress had been near the top of John Calipari’s wish list since his breakout performance at last summer’s Peach Jam. The versatile small forward from Tennessee was recently described by Rivals.com senior analyst Jerry Meyer as “a more explosive athlete than Terrence Jones.” While that may seem hard to believe for UK fans, Poythress’ game is certainly impressive. He plays hard, runs the floor well, and — like Jones — can score by driving to the basket or shooting from outside. He’s also a great rebounder. “I just try to go out and play hard every time, I think that’s my strength,” Poythress told Rivals.com. “I think as an overall player with my size and my ability, I think that I can help any (school) right away.” Poythress selected Kentucky over Florida, Memphis and Vanderbilt, which was the first school to offer him a scholarship, almost two years ago.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...sssign.jpg]
ANTHONY BENNETT
PF | 6-8 | 230
High school: Findlay Prep (Nev.)
Hometown: Brampton, Canada

The highest-rated prospect on UK’s recruiting board not named Shabazz Muhammad, Bennett also might be John Calipari’s best shot at getting a true low-post player in the class of 2012. While Bennett can hit the three, he’s at his best in the post. The 6-foot-8, 230-pounder uses his big body well to create open shots and he’s also a powerful rebounder. That could come in handy on a 2012-13 Kentucky team that, at the moment, doesn’t project to have a physical inside force. Though he’s a consensus top 10 player, Bennett’s recruitment remained a complete mystery until January. The Ontario native admitted that he was still learning about college basketball and the various schools on his list. “To be honest, I don’t really know anything about colleges,” he told Cats Illustrated in July. “I’m just trying to get into it.” But Bennett has now cut his list to five schools — UK, Florida, UNLV, Washington and Oregon. Bennett’s recruitment will be one of the most intriguing to watch as the season progresses, and it will most likely stretch all the way until the regular signing period in April.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...ettmug.jpg]
AMILE JEFFERSON
SF | 6-7 | 185
High school: Friends Central
Hometown: Philadelphia

Jefferson is known as a hard worker on the court who makes up for his somewhat slight frame by being an excellent rebounder and shot blocker. The Philadelphia native would be a good fit on the wing in John Calipari’s dribble-drive offense, and UK’s interest in the combo forward has picked up over the fall. Jefferson made an official visit to Lexington the week after Big Blue Madness. The player’s father, Malcolm Musgrove, told ZagsBlog after the visit that Calipari “likes what he does as a combo forward. They think that his style of play suits what they do well, creating mismatches and that’s what he is. He’s a mismatch nightmare.” His other finalists are Villanova, N.C. State, Ohio State and Temple. Both Villanova and Temple would like to keep him in Philadelphia, and he’s already made official visits to Ohio State and N.C. State. Jefferson will sign in the spring.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...sonmug.jpg]
SHABAZZ MUHAMMAD
SF | 6-6 | 215
High school: Bishop Gorman
Hometown: Las Vegas

The unanimous choice as the top recruit in the country, Shabazz Muhammad has also emerged as John Calipari’s top recruiting target for 2012. With skills made for the dribble-drive offense, the left-hander mixes his talent of getting to the basket with a potent outside shot and the ability to play multiple positions. In addition to his offensive skills, Muhammad is a top-notch defender who will likely be able to guard three different positions at the college level. Most recruiting analysts believed that UCLA was the leader for Muhammad, but the Bruins’ slow start to the season might have jeopardized that standing. It now looks like UCLA is on even ground with UK, Duke and hometown UNLV. One point in UK’s favor could be Big Blue Madness, where Muhammad was the most prominent guest. The event served as the top recruit’s first official visit to any school, and his second to Lexington after taking in last season’s Senior Day victory over Vanderbilt. “The fans there are great,” Muhammad told Scout.com after Madness. “Their fan base is really supportive and their guys had a lot of fun and I had a lot of fun watching them. I really enjoyed myself.” Muhammad’s recruitment seems destined to last into the spring, so expect several more twists and turns before he ultimately announces his college destination.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...azzmug.jpg]
OTHER TARGETS: Ricardo Gathers | Savon Goodman | Tony Parker | Devonta Pollard
RICARDO GATHERS
PF | 6-7 | 235
High school: Riverside Academy
Hometown: Reserve, La.

Gathers, a highly talented, big-bodied power forward, joins Anthony Bennett and Amile Jefferson as possibilities to bolster UK’s post game in 2012-13. The four-star recruit committed to St. John’s before backing out the day before the fall signing period began. Gathers possesses a dominant mixture of power and quickness in the post, and he has been compared to former UK standout Chuck Hayes. “Ricardo has just always had those genes,” his older brother Greg Gathers, a former All-American football player at Georgia Tech, told Rivals.com “He’s just so strong and so quick and athletic. Some people, like myself, get one or the other, he got all of it.” UK and Duke emerged in December as suitors, and Gathers also lists St. John’s, Florida, LSU and Baylor among his top schools. He has not set a timetable for his decision.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...ersMug.jpg]
SAVON GOODMAN
PF | 6-6 | 220
High school: Constitution High
Hometown: Philadelphia

Goodman isn’t among the highest-ranked recruits that remain on UK’s 2012 wishlist, but he possesses the toughness that the Cats will be lacking in the post next season. The Philadelphia native isn’t afraid to get physical and has shown the potential to be an excellent rebounder at the college level. He said earlier this year that he needs to work on his skills from the wing in order to go on to a professional career, and pointed to UK as a school that would help him reach that goal. Goodman originally committed to hometown Villanova before decommitting from the Wildcats in August. He apparently still has Villanova on his list, which now also includes UCLA, Kentucky, Arizona, Kansas, Southern Cal, Memphis and Temple. There were rumblings that Goodman might reclassify to the class of 2013, but all signs point to him sticking with his current class and signing with a school in the spring

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...manmug.jpg]
TONY PARKER
PF | 6-9 | 265
High school: Miller Grove
Hometown: Lithonia, Ga

Of the high school big men UK has targeted in 2012, Parker is by far the biggest. The 6-foot-9, 265-pounder from Georgia backs up his massive frame with great hands and the ability to create his own opportunities near the basket. At this point, the only post options expected to be on UK’s roster in 2012-13 are finesse players Kyle Wiltjer and Willie Cauley, and the Cats could certainly use Parker’s bulk and skill in the paint. John Calipari didn’t get involved in his recruitment until December, and Ohio State, Duke, UCLA, Memphis and Georgetown have been after him for much longer. But that familiarity might not be an obstacle for UK. Parker’s father told the Cats’ Pause that they’re still waiting for a school to “reach out and grab them.” The Cats could be that school, and having Parker’s AAU teammate Alex Poythress already in the fold can’t hurt their cause. “They want a big man and they’re interested in Tony,” Parker’s father said. “They made that clear to me.” What isn’t clear is what took UK so long to get involved with the talented forward. But Parker has UK’s attention now, and Calipari and Co. still have plenty of time to work their magic.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...kermug.jpg]
DEVONTA POLLARD
SF | 6-7 | 195
High school: Kemper
Hometown: De Kalb, Miss.

Pollard has grown into one of the best high school players in the country despite dealing with a host of off-the-court obstacles — the death of his father in 2009 and a storm that completely destroyed his home earlier this year. On the court, the forward out of Mississippi brings an abundance of energy, especially on the defensive end (he averaged 5.3 blocks per game last season). Pollard’s recruitment so far has been a bit of a mystery, and he has yet to take any official visits. In an interview with Rivals.com in October, Pollard’s AAU coach implied that Texas and UK were the top two schools, with the Longhorns holding a slight edge. But a Scout.com report in November quoted Pollard as saying Missouri, Alabama, Mississippi State, Georgetown and Texas were the main five schools on his list. It’s unclear how hard UK will recruit him over the winter, and how much interest Pollard still has in the Cats. Pollard will not sign until the regular period, which starts in April.

[Image: http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/files/2...ardmug.jpg]
No Point Guard for next years recruiting class????
RIVALS.COM CLASS OF 2012 RANKINGS
1 Shabazz Muhammad, F Uncommitted
2 Kyle Anderson, G UCLA
3 Mitch McGary, F Michigan
4 Steven Adams, F Pittsburgh
5 Isaiah Austin, F Baylor
6 Rodney Purvis, G N.C. State
7 Anthony Bennett, F Uncommitted
8 Ricardo Ledo, G Providence
9 Devonta Pollard, F Uncommitted
10 Kris Dunn, G Providence
11 Jarnell Stokes, F Tennessee
12 Archie Goodwin, G Kentucky
13 Brandon Ashley, F Arizona
14 Marcus Smart, F Oklahoma St.
15 Danuel House, F Houston
16 Hanner Perea, F Indiana
17 Yogi Ferrell, G Indiana
18 Sam Dekker, F Wisconsin
19 Alex Poythress, F Kentucky
20 Kaleb Tarczewski, C Arizona
21 Cameron Ridley, C Texas
22 D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, G Georgetown
23 T.J. Warren, F N.C. State
24 Perry Ellis, F Kansas
25 Gary Harris, G Michigan State
26 Shaq Goodwin, F Memphis
27 Dajuan Coleman, C Syracuse
28 Robert Carter, F Georgia Tech
29 Daniel Ochefu, C Villanova
30 Cameron Biedscheid, F Notre Dame
31 Gabe York, G Arizona
32 Rasheed Sulaimon, G Duke
33 Tony Parker, C Uncommitted
34 Glenn Robinson III, F Michigan
35 Justin Anderson, F Virginia
36 Amile Jefferson, F Uncommitted
37 Ricardo Gathers, F Uncommitted
38 Omar Calhoun, G UConn
39 Willie Cauley, C Kentucky
40 Winston Shepard, F Uncommitted
41 Marcus Paige, G North Carolina
42 Adam Woodbury, C Iowa
43 Robert Upshaw, C Kansas State
44 Shaquille Cleare, C Maryland
45 Katin Reinhardt, G UNLV
46 Nino Jackson, G Uncommitted
47 Chicken Knowles, F Houston
48 Jeremy Hollowell, F Indiana
49 Brice Johnson, F North Carolina
50 Grant Jerrett, F Arizona
I think Teague will be with us next year. Plus, we have Twany Beckham. Archie will learn the Point a bit as well...
^ Dusty, to answer your question about the point guard, I think Ryan Harrow will be the one Calipari uses for PG next year (provided that Teague does not come back).

Anyone notice the slight resemblance in the face between Willie Cauley and DeMarcus Cousins?
^ Who is Ryan Harrow?
Solid PG transferring from NC State. Will be a sophomore next season, but he is ineligible this year due to the transfer rule. I keep thinking he averaged around 9 points and 3 assists per game. He did pretty solid, had your typical freshman weaknesses in his play, but showed good potential.
Hope they got Paypal.
Hope we can land Shabazz & Anthony Bennett.
Thanks for posting this dust.

IMO, is we can pick up Shabazz along with one of the two other big men, we will have the number 1 class again.
Im looking forward to next year. IMO, its will be just as good of a class or better than this year.
And you can bet money that Davis, MKG, Jones, and maybe Lamb will all be gone, along with the graduating Miller.
^ In the same mold as out last three PG's? I see the 5*, but it did not look like 5* numbers his Frosh year
Overrated Wrote:Hope they got Paypal.

Hope you don't have Bernie Fine.
Hope we land a few of them.
I've heard a lot of good things about Goodwin.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thanks for posting this dust.

IMO, is we can pick up Shabazz along with one of the two other big men, we will have the number 1 class again.
Im looking forward to next year. IMO, its will be just as good of a class or better than this year.
And you can bet money that Davis, MKG, Jones, and maybe Lamb will all be gone, along with the graduating Miller.

If we get Shabazz, along with Alex Polyshbsdbfsjkbfess who's already committed, we will have the 4th straight #1 class...now how damn awesome is that??

We just need to turn it into our 8th National Championship. Man, I'd give just about anything for it...I can't wait.
^
Shabazz alone will probably make whatever team he goes to the numer one class IMO.
Im not as much into #1 recruiting classes as i am national championships.
Stardust Wrote:^ In the same mold as out last three PG's? I see the 5*, but it did not look like 5* numbers his Frosh year

I heard Cal talking on his radio show monday night about Harrow.
He said he was a GREAT shooter. He's not the typical point guard. Not only can he pass and handle the ball, he's money from the 3.
He also said he gives Teague more than he wants just about everyday in practice.
I think Shabazz is staying home to play for UNLV....