Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK signees play at LexCath on Saturday
University of Kentucky basketball signess Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress will be in town this weekend to play in the Dunkin’ Donuts National Shootout at Lexington Catholic.

Goodwin, a 6-foot-5 senior guard at Sylvan Hills in Sherwood, Ark., will lead his team against LexCath at 7 p.m. Poythress, a 6-7 senior small forward at Clarksville (Tn.) Northeast, will lead his team against Lafayette at 8:30.

Tickets to the event are on sale at LexCath this week between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. for $9. Tickets at the gate on Saturday will be $10.

Two other games are also on the Dunkin’ Donuts schedule on Saturday. Sayre plays Wolfe County at 3:30 p.m., and Lincoln County takes on Harrison County at 5.
I am sure there will be a big crowd there to watch them.
After spending Saturday afternoon in Rupp Arena watching Kentucky whip South Carolina, UK signees Archie Goodwin and Alex Poythress showcased their skills in the Dunkin' Donuts National Shootout at Lexington Catholic Saturday night.

Poythress, a 6-foot-8 senior forward at Clarksville (Tenn.) Northeast, had 42 points, six rebounds, four blocked shots and four steals in a 78-68 win over Lafayette.

Goodwin, a 6-4 senior guard at Sylvan Hills in Little Rock, Ark., had 37 points and 10 rebounds but his team lost to Lexington Catholic 75-71 in overtime.

"I told my kids, 'Congratulations. You just held an NBA player to 37 points.' He's a great, great player," Lexington Catholic Coach Brandon Salsman said of Goodwin. "You'll see him guarding LeBron James in a couple of years."

UK Coach John Calipari and several players, including Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Marquis Teague and Kyle Wiltjer, were among those on hand to see the future Cats.

Goodwin spent most of the night at point guard where he's been the last four games.

"I like playing the point because I'm able to do more with the ball in my hands," he said. "I can create more for myself than at the two, and I'm more vocal."

Goodwin, who's averaging 27 points, was in attack-mode offensively: 12-for-32 from the field (4-for-12 on threes) and 9-for-10 from the foul line. He also had four steals, two assists and four turnovers.

Sylvan Hills Coach Kevin Davis said when Goodwin laces up his sneakers, "You better buy a ticket because that guy can come up with some stuff. He's so hard to guard because he brings so much variety to the game."

Goodwin was named Mr. Basketball by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette as a junior after averaging 29 points and eight rebounds. But Davis said he still has a big upside.

"That's what Lexington needs to be excited about. He's going to get better and better."

Goodwin said that's why he signed up with Calipari. "He's going to push me every day in practice and in games to get the best out of me, and that's what I'm looking for."

Despite Goodwin's performance, Lexington Catholic won with a balanced attack.

Jack Whitman, a 6-9 junior, had 25 points and five rebounds. Dillon Avare hit six of 11 threes for 18 points.

All eyes were on Poythress in the nightcap as he showed why Clarksville Coach Al Cooper thinks he'll make an impact as a college freshman.

"He's gonna bring loads of energy, No. 1, and No. 2, he's gonna bring a skill set ready to play immediately," Cooper said. "For a big guy, he can handle the ball, he can shoot the three-ball and he can put it on the floor.

"But the best thing he does is attack the basket."

Poythress was 14-for-24 from the field (1-for-4 on threes) and hit 13 of 19 free throws.

Cooper said Poythress was "like a little kid riding up here today, excited to show his teammates" his future UK home.

Poythress is having a monster senior year, averaging 30 points and 20 rebounds. He had a 46-point, 25-rebound, seven-blocked shots in a game a few weeks ago.

He said watched UK's game against South Carolina and imagined how he'd fit in.

"I like the way they play defense, and the way they get up and down the floor. I just want to play and do the best I can."

Poythress, who has a 3.9 GPA, is a soft-spoken star when asked about all the hoopla surrounding him.

"It's been a blessing," he said. "Not everyone gets a chance to do this. I'm trying stay humble and enjoy it."

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/01/08/20202...odwin.html
[Image: http://media.kentucky.com/smedia/2012/01...uSt.79.jpg]

Sylvan Hills' Archie Goodwin
Here is a small highlight video of the two.

http://www.nationofblue.com/f37/poythres...#post49168
That is awesome, can't wait to see these guys play at the college level.
Good pictures Stardust.