Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 13th Region Top 10
Whats your 13th region top ten up to this point?

1. Clay County
2. Harlan County
3. Whitley County
4. Bell County
5. Harlan
6. Corbin
7. Knox Central
8. South Laurel
9. Barbourville
10. Pineville
1. Clay County
2. Harlan County
3. Whitley County
4. Bell County
5. Harlan
6. Corbin
7. Barbourville
8. South Laurel
9. Knox Central
10. Pineville
I would most definantly put M'Boro ahead of both B'ville and P'ville.
Barbourville at #7? They have 6 wins against 6 teams without a winning record. You have then ahead of a team that beat them in South. Hope this was just a shot at humor.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Whats your 13th region top ten up to this point?

1. Clay County
2. Harlan County
3. Whitley County
4. Bell County
5. Harlan
6. Corbin
7. Knox Central
8. South Laurel
9. Barbourville
10. Pineville

I would put Harlan ahead of Bell Co. right now. They've played once already and Harlan beat them pretty comfortably. Also, I personally think South Laurel is a little better than Knox Central even though they barely squeaked by Barbourville in the Candy Cane Classic @ South. Therefore, my Top 10 would be as follows:

1. Clay Co.
2. Harlan Co.
3. Whitley Co.
4. Harlan
5. Bell Co.
6. Corbin
7. South Laurel
8. Knox Central
9. Barbourville
10.Middlesboro
^
I can agree with that.
^ Might want to go ahead and pencil the Harlan Lady Dragons in at second place behind Clay Co. after they beat Harlan Co. by 4 points at Harlan Co. tonight. I think they are the team to challenge Clay for the region this year. They are a senior led team this year and that will mean a lot come tournament time. Ashley Mullins would be my pick for region player of the year. She is an absolute monster inside. I would say she will be a D-1 pick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Unbelievable, especially after the score of the last game less than 2 weeks ago. Good job Lady Dragons!
Goes to show anybody can win on any given night. Last week HC blew Harlan out by 27. So I dont know if I would pencil HHS in just yet.
I got to looking at their schedule and at who's beat them. They have been inconsistent so far to this point but they have played some good teams fairly close and lost by large margins to lesser teams. If they could become more consistent they could be a top 25 in the state kind of team. Clay Co. didn't beat them near as bad as HC did last week and they played Bracken Co. down to the wire. Last year they came on very strong at tournament time and I expect them to do the same this year. They have been there before and coach Akal is a great coach. Their defense was pretty good tonight and they had several uncontested 3's that barely rimmed out or it could have been better game for them offensively.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Backwoods Wrote:^ Might want to go ahead and pencil the Harlan Lady Dragons in at second place behind Clay Co. after they beat Harlan Co. by 4 points at Harlan Co. tonight. I think they are the team to challenge Clay for the region this year. They are a senior led team this year and that will mean a lot come tournament time. Ashley Mullins would be my pick for region player of the year. She is an absolute monster inside. I would say she will be a D-1 pick.

Why?
Whitley has already beat Harlan this year. Only lost to clay by 4 after being up by double digits on them at halftime.
I say move Whitley up to number 2.
Harlan number 3
HC number 4.

Harlan didnt impress me that much.
Mullins did, but the team as a whole didnt.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Why?
Whitley has already beat Harlan this year. Only lost to clay by 4 after being up by double digits on them at halftime.
I say move Whitley up to number 2.
Harlan number 3
HC number 4.

I agree with Clay 1 and Whitley 2.
I think HCHS and Harlan are about even after the past week. No one else in the region has been consistent enough to rank higher than fifth.
HDE Wrote:I agree with Clay 1 and Whitley 2.
I think HCHS and Harlan are about even after the past week. No one else in the region has been consistent enough to rank higher than fifth.

I do think after he performances week after week that Mullins should be everyones pick for the regions player of the year.
I honestly believe if she was at Clay or Whitley, that team could make a deep deep run.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I do think after he performances week after week that Mullins should be everyones pick for the regions player of the year.
I honestly believe if she was at Clay or Whitley, that team could make a deep deep run.

I personally don't see how everyone can put whitley so far ahead of Harlan and actually put them in the same class as Clay Co.. Harlan is the best team that Whitley Co. has actually beaten and they played Clay Co. close once. Whitley only has one loss less than Harlan.Whitley Co. 8-5 and Harlan 9-6. Harlan Co. was ranked 32nd in the state and beat Harlan to death the first time around but got beat by 4 at home the second time around. Whitley beat Harlan by 14 in Harlan's first game of the season and I say you can't claim that you are that much better than a team after 1 game. HC certainly couldn't do it. We will know a little more about Whitley Co. when they match up with HC Jan.27. Other than Harlan,Knott Co. Central is the only team that Whitley has beaten that was ranked under 100 ,in the state,on another site. I say Harlan's post game is starting to get cranked up and when they are on they are the best in the region. Harlan came around late last season and they will do the same this season. I predict them to win their district tournament for the second year in a row and with the same team they done it with last time around. If they beat HC on feb.2 at Harlan they will win the regular season district title.They will make a run on Clay Co..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Backwoods Wrote:I personally don't see how everyone can put whitley so far ahead of Harlan and actually put them in the same class as Clay Co.. Harlan is the best team that Whitley Co. has actually beaten and they played Clay Co. close once. Whitley only has one loss less than Harlan.Whitley Co. 8-5 and Harlan 9-6. Harlan Co. was ranked 32nd in the state and beat Harlan to death the first time around but got beat by 4 at home the second time around. Whitley beat Harlan by 14 in Harlan's first game of the season and I say you can't claim that you are that much better than a team after 1 game. HC certainly couldn't do it. We will know a little more about Whitley Co. when they match up with HC Jan.27. Other than Harlan,Knott Co. Central is the only team that Whitley has beaten that was ranked under 100 ,in the state,on another site. I say Harlan's post game is starting to get cranked up and when they are on they are the best in the region. Harlan came around late last season and they will do the same this season. I predict them to win their district tournament for the second year in a row and with the same team they done it with last time around. If they beat HC on feb.2 at Harlan they will win the regular season district title.They will make a run on Clay Co..

Youll see how good Whitley really is on Jan 27th.
What you failed to mention is that Whitley has lost to NKY teams that would beat Harlan to death.
They lost by 8 to a Casey County team that played tough against Marion County. There other losses have been against teams that would probably beat any other team in the 13th.
Whitley lost to Boone County who is 13-1 and one of the top teams in the state.
Whitley lost to a Highlands team that has to play in a very tough region and plays top teams every week. (Boone Co. Conner, Notre Dame)
AND what you didnt read obviously is that Whitley was beating Clay to death before letting up in the second half and letting Clay back in the game. To say there not on the same level as Clay this year is idiotic. Whitley is very young and its not surprising a veteran Clay team come back and beat them. What i love is that Whitley top players will all be returning next year. Losing Anderson will be tough, but good post players is something were not short on. And IMO, we alread yhave the best guard in the region and she is only a sophomore.

Check your facts first because its obvious you dont know what other teams besides Harlan has done.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Youll see how good Whitley really is on Jan 27th.
What you failed to mention is that Whitley has lost to NKY teams that would beat Harlan to death.
They lost by 8 to a Casey County team that played tough against Marion County. There other losses have been against teams that would probably beat any other team in the 13th.
Whitley lost to Boone County who is 13-1 and one of the top teams in the state.
Whitley lost to a Highlands team that has to play in a very tough region and plays top teams every week. (Boone Co. Conner, Notre Dame)
AND what you didnt read obviously is that Whitley was beating Clay to death before letting up in the second half and letting Clay back in the game. To say there not on the same level as Clay this year is idiotic. Whitley is very young and its not surprising a veteran Clay team come back and beat them. What i love is that Whitley top players will all be returning next year. Losing Anderson will be tough, but good post players is something were not short on. And IMO, we alread yhave the best guard in the region and she is only a sophomore.

Check your facts first because its obvious you dont know what other teams besides Harlan has done.

I have checked the facts and the highest rated team that Whitley Co. has beat was Clark Co. at 79.9 (Lit.ratings) and the lowest rated team they lost to is Casey Co. at 88.3. Harlan beat Harlan Co. at 85.9 and also lost to them. You can't go on one game at your place,first game of the season,and say you're so much better than somebody. Yeah Whitley Co. lost by 3 to Clay Co. when Clay had a bad night. Truth is when Clay pulled it together Whitley couldn't stop them and they came back and won. Then when Whitley Co. plays lesser rated Boone Co. they got beat by 20. What happened to them that night? So far you've given me a list of who Whitley has lost too but the truth again is that Whitley hasn't beaten a team as highly rated as Harlan has. Also, Harlan has played 6 teams with a rating of 80.0 or better and Whitley Co. has played 4. Out of all those games Harlan won one of them,HC. I'm not going to rate my team on who they've lost too but,rather,who they have beaten. Right now I would give Whitley Co. only the slightest edge over Harlan. Both have a ways to go before they are on Clay's level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Backwoods Wrote:I have checked the facts and the highest rated team that Whitley Co. has beat was Clark Co. at 79.9 (Lit.ratings) and the lowest rated team they lost to is Casey Co. at 88.3. Harlan beat Harlan Co. at 85.9 and also lost to them. You can't go on one game at your place,first game of the season,and say you're so much better than somebody. Yeah Whitley Co. lost by 3 to Clay Co. when Clay had a bad night. Truth is when Clay pulled it together Whitley couldn't stop them and they came back and won. Then when Whitley Co. plays lesser rated Boone Co. they got beat by 20. What happened to them that night? So far you've given me a list of who Whitley has lost too but the truth again is that Whitley hasn't beaten a team as highly rated as Harlan has. Also, Harlan has played 6 teams with a rating of 80.0 or better and Whitley Co. has played 4. Out of all those games Harlan won one of them,HC. I'm not going to rate my team on who they've lost too but,rather,who they have beaten. Right now I would give Whitley Co. only the slightest edge over Harlan. Both have a ways to go before they are on Clay's level.

I dont look at this 49.242455 bull shit.
Ratings mean absoloutly nothing.
I dont care where your team is ranked. I dont care where Whitley is ranked.
If Harlan was to play Whitley again, Whitley would probably beat them by 20+.

To say Harlan is anywhere close to Whitley or Clay is just stupid.

Call me when Harlan gets more than one player on there team.
If Mullinss goes down to injury, Harlan goes from 4th or 5th best in the region to out of the top 10.
1 player cant beat a good TEAM.
Plus, your overhyping her. Its not like she puts up 40 a night.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont look at this 49.242455 bull shit.

If Mullinss goes down to injury, Harlan goes from 4th or 5th best in the region to out of the top 10.

Now now Runitupthegut you don't have to get so testy over the facts. You are way overhyping Whitley Co.. HC beat Harlan by 26 and thought they could do it again and they got beat at their house. 14 ain't no 26. And you are right,it's not like Mullin's score's 40 a night, it's more like 30 a night in the paint and yes,the hype is for real,she is the most dominating post player and probably most dominating player over all in the 13th region. As far as 4th or 5th in the region,you yourself agreed they should be in over Bell Co. on you own ranking. That puts them in at 4th and then they showed they were as good as HC who was at 3rd on your list. Harlan and Harlan Co. both will be coming to the region tournament RIUTG. Better get ready for'em. One of them will get Whitley Co. and your bashing of our district will be over.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I dont look at this 49.242455 bull shit.

My, opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that Clay, Whitley, Harlan Co, and Harlan are clearly the Top 4 teams in the 13th Region. The difference this year compared to previous years is that Clay Co. is not by themselves atop the 13th Region. Although I still feel they are the best team, it's not them and then everyone else like it has been in previous years. Whitley played them tough at Whitley and now, tonight, Harlan Co. played them within four at Clay.

I disagree with the fact that Harlan only has Mullins. Harlan has a very good team with a great coach in Akal and I fully expect them to be a factor in the 13th Region Tournament.

My hope is that Clay, Harlan, Whitley, and Harlan Co. all meet in the semifinals of the 13th Region Tournament as they should because, if so, we're all in for a treat.

I feel that Clay, Whitley Co., Harlan Co., and Harlan are all pretty evenly matched and I really look forward to seeing how this thing plays out. In years past, everyone was playing for 2nd but this year, these four teams all have a legitimate shot on a given night.

Throw out the rankings now, because this Region could be really fun at the end of the year as these teams improve, season, and tighten up some loose ends.

As for me, I'm looking forward to it!
Harlan being a legit Class A school is impressive to be ranked up there with Clay(6A), Whitley(6A), and Harlan County (6A). That is not a knock on the big schools, just giving credit to the small schools. This would be a great Final 4.
NewGuy Wrote:Harlan being a legit Class A school is impressive to be ranked up there with Clay(6A), Whitley(6A), and Harlan County (6A). That is not a knock on the big schools, just giving credit to the small schools. This would be a great Final 4.

Not that it matter, and yes i get your point, but Clay is a 4A school while Whitley and Harlan County are 5A schools.
UKFan8 Wrote:My, opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that Clay, Whitley, Harlan Co, and Harlan are clearly the Top 4 teams in the 13th Region. The difference this year compared to previous years is that Clay Co. is not by themselves atop the 13th Region. Although I still feel they are the best team, it's not them and then everyone else like it has been in previous years. Whitley played them tough at Whitley and now, tonight, Harlan Co. played them within four at Clay.

I disagree with the fact that Harlan only has Mullins. Harlan has a very good team with a great coach in Akal and I fully expect them to be a factor in the 13th Region Tournament.

My hope is that Clay, Harlan, Whitley, and Harlan Co. all meet in the semifinals of the 13th Region Tournament as they should because, if so, we're all in for a treat.

I feel that Clay, Whitley Co., Harlan Co., and Harlan are all pretty evenly matched and I really look forward to seeing how this thing plays out. In years past, everyone was playing for 2nd but this year, these four teams all have a legitimate shot on a given night.

Throw out the rankings now, because this Region could be really fun at the end of the year as these teams improve, season, and tighten up some loose ends.

I can agree with this.
You made the point i was trying to make in not so many words.
Clay is not head and shoulders above the rest of the region like they have been in years past.
IMHO, Whitley and Harlan COUNTY, will challenge them come region tourney time.
I honestly think Harlan IND and Corbin are the next two in line but as for now, i will agree with you.

After the last week id rank them...

1. Clay
2. Whitley
3. Harlan County
4. Harlan
5. Corbin
Backwoods Wrote:Now now Runitupthegut you don't have to get so testy over the facts. You are way overhyping Whitley Co.. HC beat Harlan by 26 and thought they could do it again and they got beat at their house. 14 ain't no 26. And you are right,it's not like Mullin's score's 40 a night, it's more like 30 a night in the paint and yes,the hype is for real,she is the most dominating post player and probably most dominating player over all in the 13th region. As far as 4th or 5th in the region,you yourself agreed they should be in over Bell Co. on you own ranking. That puts them in at 4th and then they showed they were as good as HC who was at 3rd on your list. Harlan and Harlan Co. both will be coming to the region tournament RIUTG. Better get ready for'em. One of them will get Whitley Co. and your bashing of our district will be over.

I apologize for my strong use of words.

Harlan and Harlan County are both legit region title contenders.
IMHO, Harlan County is better than Harlan. Everyone has an off night.
From what i seen when Harlan played at Whitley was they were trying way to hard to rely on Mullins. I have admitted that she is one of the regions top players and rightfully so, but when you play teams with depth like Clay and Whitley, you might play close for a while, but in the end will struggle to keep the gas tanks full.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Not that it matter, and yes i get your point, but Clay is a 4A school while Whitley and Harlan County are 5A schools.

It doesn't, but thanks for correcting me anyway.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I apologize for my strong use of words.

Harlan and Harlan County are both legit region title contenders.
IMHO, Harlan County is better than Harlan. Everyone has an off night.
From what i seen when Harlan played at Whitley was they were trying way to hard to rely on Mullins. I have admitted that she is one of the regions top players and rightfully so, but when you play teams with depth like Clay and Whitley, you might play close for a while, but in the end will struggle to keep the gas tanks full.

And for the record, I agree with your overall assessment of Harlan. It would be tough for Harlan to deal with the depth of the bigger schools.
UKFan8 Wrote:My, opinion, for whatever that's worth, is that Clay, Whitley, Harlan Co, and Harlan are clearly the Top 4 teams in the 13th Region. The difference this year compared to previous years is that Clay Co. is not by themselves atop the 13th Region. Although I still feel they are the best team, it's not them and then everyone else like it has been in previous years. Whitley played them tough at Whitley and now, tonight, Harlan Co. played them within four at Clay.

Agreed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Quote:she is the most dominating post player and probably most dominating player over all in the 13th region.

I would say a little post player at Clay would beg to differ. Cheyenne is not someone to sneeze at. She physically dominates her opponents over the course of the game. She is almost averaging a double/double against way better competition than Mullins on a nightly basis.
I don't know why everybody is acting like Mullins is a dominate "POST" player. When she played against Whitley Co. she spent most of her time outside the 3-point line. When she would drive to the basket....a real "POST" player Kandace Craig (a sophmore) would step over from her girl and block Mullins shot or cause her to miss. When she has to go up against a bruiser like "Craig" they take her out of the POST! So calling her a DOMINATE POST PLAYER IS A VERY BIG STRETCH AT BEST!!! :dudecomeon:
HARLAN (0-1)
Madison Ball 1-2 4-4 6, Kelly Cox 2-5 0-0 4, Jourdan Ledford 0-8 2-4 2, Gabrielle Rehnborg 2-4 2-2 6, Ashley Mullins 4-7 10-14 19, Samantha Henson 2-5 0-0 6, Torri Mitchell 0-0 0-0 0, Chiah Davis 0-0 0-0 0, Taylor Cochran 1-2 0-2 3, Masie Charles 0-0 0-0 0. Totals: 12-33 18-26 46.
WHITLEY COUNTY (1-0)
Bethany Powers 1-5 0-0 2, Brandi Smith 6-11 12-15 25, Sierra Anderson 3-8 7-9 13, Maria Johnson 1-6 0-0 3, Kandace Craig 3-5 0-1 6, Taylor Dingess 1-6 1-2 4, Hallie Jones 0-2 0-0 0, Sabrina Sizemore 0-2 0-0 0, Shawnee Holbrook 2-3 2-2 7, Lindsey Terry 0-0 0-0 0. Totals: 17-49 22-29 60

Harlan 13 7 8 18 — 46
Whitley County 9 14 11 26 — 60

3-point goals: Harlan 4-15 (Henson 2-4, Mullins 1-1, Cochran 1-2, Cox 0-1, Ledford 0-7), Whitley County 4-10 (Holbrook 1-1, Johnson 1-2, Smith 1-3, Dingess 1-3, Anderson 0-1). Rebounds: Harlan 28 (Mullins 10), Whitley County 29 (Craig 11). Turnovers: Harlan, 21 Whitley County 16. Fouled out: Harlan (Cochran).
I don't think it's counted as a block if you foul in the process. I think 19 points and 10 rebounds beat six points and 11 rebounds.

The fact that Mullins can hit 3-pointers and bring the ball down the court makes her even more valuable.