Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
States say its time to rethink medical marijuana
That video explains many questions and myths about marijuana if you will just take the time to watch it.
TheRealThing Wrote:^I got the same education about drugs you did when I served and had a warzone understanding of drug use before you were born but, thanks for staightening me out on that. And as I have mentioned people who use Suboxen and Methadone likely started by smoking dope. Secondly, on the part I have bolded, you have heard of sarcasm, right? And finally, I have never opposed the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes. I wouldn't hesitate to dump some burbon on a cut if I lacked an antiseptic, but I might stop short of drinking it. At any rate, Russian authorities didn't advocate the increased use of vodka because it was also good as an antiseptic.

What in the world does a warzone and being old have to do with this discussion??

I agree with most of what you're saying now, except for the Suboxen and Methadone likely starts by smoking pot part. Many, many more people have smoked it, some medicinally, the majority recreationally, and never went to another drug or need Suboxen or Methadone for addiction treatment.
vundy33 Wrote:lol..

Seriously, if you're going to talk about how horrible it is, something you admittedly know nothing about, at least have a reason for it.

Of course i dont know about the drug, im not a pot head.

I do know however, that its not good for you, just as any other drug wouldnt be. I also know a lot of kids waste there life away setting on the couch smoking dope all day instead of working hard.
Dope is dope.
^ I love the comment, and it truly fits my feelings as well. I know nothing about it, whether it is considered a drug or not, it's nothing that I support the legalization of.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Of course i dont know about the drug, im not a pot head.

I do know however, that its not good for you, just as any other drug wouldnt be. I also know a lot of kids waste there life away setting on the couch smoking dope all day instead of working hard.
Dope is dope.
Yep, you know not what you are talking about. There is not one confirmed bad health affect to pot. There are kids laying around wasting their life on pills. There are millions of people that go to regular jobs everyday that are pot smokers.
TheRealThing Wrote:So, the anti-logic I'm reading here is that profitable productive citizens are LOADED citizens. I've read how vodka reduced productivity among the working class in Russia to the point where the Kremlin decided to step in. I've seen documentaries about opium turning the masses of China into mindless mushrooms. I studied history in college and learned how drink and other social decadence contributed in no small amount in helping to bring down Rome. I can't think of a single civilization which has benefited from the wdespread use of drugs and alcohol.

Almost everybody that uses marijuana wids up dealing at one time or another because that's the easiest way to finance their own drug usage. The problem with drugs and alcohol is that most people can't just dabble, they wind up addicted. People that smoke marijuana every day have it in their system ALL THE TIME. Thusly living in a state of continual impairment. It is for safey sake OSHA monitors the industrial workforce by random drug testing. Drug users are a threat to the safety of themselves and all they work with. Alcohol and drug addiction costs the American taxpayer billions each year. The notion that legalizing drug use will in any way lessen the problems we experience as a society or a nation is absurd on it's face. Further, marijuana is a gateway drug, and, in many cases leads to crack and heroine addiction.

Marijuana, heroine, cocaine, meth, hash, lsd, and the like were the recreational drugs of choice during my days in the service. Many of my friends succumed to the dark side of the force and decended into addiction. So, I am intimately familiar with the effects of drug usage and, I can tell you this, once addicted ALWAYS addicted. Addiction is a life long overlord for the rest of one's life. That's why God says it's wrong, because it is a destroyer of mankind, not a help. And mark me down as one who will always vote against candidates who would lean towards legalization of drugs.
Wrong. People that smoke pot don't go around in a continual state of high, just because trace amounts stay in their system. BTW, when did you suddenly morph into a person that trusts the judgement of a government agency knowing what's best for people? Osha is a government agency that knows marijuana is illegal, and that trace amounts of residue stay in a persons system, and being a government agency, they use that knowledge to try and control pot's use. 100% of people that smoke pot, can smoke tonight, and go to work tomorrow, without even a trace of a high going with them.

Tobacco related diseases are the #1 killer of Americans today. Will all of you that want to keep marijuana illegal because you think it has ill health effects(a myth), join with me in trying to get tobacco outlawed? BTW, all of you that are coming up with all these falsities about pot, watch the video before you post here? You might find out how much you don't know.
TheRealVille Wrote:Yep, you know not what you are talking about. There is not one confirmed bad health affect to pot. There are kids laying around wasting their life on pills. There are millions of people that go to regular jobs everyday that are pot smokers.

There is not one confirmed health problem?
I know the people in support of say every year that there have been 0 marijuana overdoses.
Okay, well how do you explain the fact that its been proven it kills brain cells?
Thats definitely what i want, a country full of people with no brains wasting there life away. Im sure we will still be the worlds top power if everyone in this country smoked pot and stayed stone all day.
Dont be naive enough to think pot doesnt effect health....

Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems.
Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer.

Has smoking weed become a problem for you?
Take the Marijuana Screening Quiz

Short-Term Effects
The short-term effects of marijuana include: •Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)

•Problems with memory and learning

•Loss of coordination

•Trouble with thinking and problem-solving

•Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Effects on the Brain
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.
When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

•Hallucinations

•Delusions

•Impaired memory

•Disorientation

Effects on the Heart
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.
Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Effects on the Lungs
Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

•Daily cough and phlegm production
•More frequent acute chest illnesses
•Increased risk of lung infections
•Obstructed airways
Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.
I know id love for my co workers, who run heavy equipment, to come in and be stoned.
Theres nothing like getting run over by a pot head driving a bull dozer.
TheRealVille Wrote:Wrong. People that smoke pot don't go around in a continual state of high, just because trace amounts stay in their system. BTW, when did you suddenly morph into a person that trusts the judgement of a government agency knowing what's best for people? Osha is a government agency that knows marijuana is illegal, and that trace amounts of residue stay in a persons system, and being a government agency, they use that knowledge to try and control pot's use. 100% of people that smoke pot, can smoke tonight, and go to work tomorrow, without even a trace of a high going with them.

Tobacco related diseases are the #1 killer of Americans today. Will all of you that want to keep marijuana illegal because you think it has ill health effects(a myth), join with me in trying to get tobacco outlawed? BTW, all of you that are coming up with all these falsities about pot, watch the video before you post here? You might find out how much you [B]don't know[/B].

Your not going to get me on that one.
I have long said tobacco should be illegal as well.
However, it doesnt effect your ability to perform daily task like pot does.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I know id love for my co workers, who run heavy equipment, to come in and be stoned.
Theres nothing like getting run over by a pot head driving a bull dozer.
Smoking pot the night before has no more effect on you than smoking a cigarette the night before. You co-workers that drink the night before has more of a dangerous effect on their ability to run that equipment the next day than pot. And to add, no one should go to work under the influence of ANY drug.

RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your not going to get me on that one.
I have long said tobacco should be illegal as well.
However, it doesnt effect your ability to perform daily task like pot does.
Pot doesn't either, if used in moderation. You are equating all pot users as being stoners. You might be surprised to know that Steve Jobs was a pot smoker, as is Ted Turner.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Dont be naive enough to think pot doesnt effect health....

Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems.
Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer.

Has smoking weed become a problem for you?
Take the Marijuana Screening Quiz

Short-Term Effects
The short-term effects of marijuana include: •Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)

•Problems with memory and learning

•Loss of coordination

•Trouble with thinking and problem-solving

•Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure

Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Effects on the Brain
The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.
When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

•Hallucinations

•Delusions

•Impaired memory

•Disorientation

Effects on the Heart
Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.
Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana, compared to their general risk of heart attack when not smoking.

Effects on the Lungs
Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

•Daily cough and phlegm production
•More frequent acute chest illnesses
•Increased risk of lung infections
•Obstructed airways
Most marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however the harmful effects of smoking marijuana should not be ignored. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.
Not one single case of your so called ill health effects. 90% percent of those "short term" effects can be associated with coffee. Some of the long term effects of pot were from the Nixon days, and when shown reports to the opposite, he chose to keep all of the positive reports hidden. There is not one single case of a person that smoked only pot having any adverse health effects. I guess you aren't going to watch the video and see some of the reports that were doctored and others that were ignored by the government when Nixon declared his war on drugs. There are doctors on there that will help dispel a lot of myths. BTW, I know several pot smokers that don't cough at all. You think that be because they don't also smoke tobacco?

I notice you get this "effect" post from an "alcoholism and drug free" website, lol.
I also find it interesting to know that there isn't one single case of someone smoking pot only, of beating the crap out of their wife or kids. Can we say that for alcohol?

I love how people that know nothing about marijuana, are the ones that fight it the strongest, and have the most false knowledge they bring to the discussions.

BTW RIUTG, no one in history has died of marijuana induced heart failure, and not one person has ever OD'd on marijuana.
RIUTG, I notice in the "favorite alcohol" thread, you love Wild Turkey. If I ran equipment, I'd sure hate to be to be around you on the same job you were coming on "stoned" from bourbon. Do you also realize all the negative health effects of alcohol?

Quote:What is Alcohol?
Alcohol is a depressant.

What does it look like?
Alcohol is used in liquid form.

How is it used?

Alcohol is drunk. Types include beer, wine, and liquor.

What are its short term effects?

When a person drinks alcohol, the alcohol is absorbed by the stomach, enters the bloodstream, and goes to all the tissues. The effects of alcohol are dependent on a variety of factors, including a person’s size, weight, age, and sex, as well as the amount of food and alcohol consumed. The disinhibiting effect of alcohol is one of the main reasons it is used in so many social situations. Other effects of moderate alcohol intake include dizziness and talkativeness; the immediate effects of a larger amount of alcohol include slurred speech, disturbed sleep, nausea, and vomiting. Alcohol, even at low doses, significantly impairs the judgment and coordination required to drive a car safely. Low to moderate doses of alcohol can also increase the incidence of a variety of aggressive acts, including domestic violence and child abuse. Hangovers are another possible effect after large amounts of alcohol are consumed; a hangover consists of headache, nausea, thirst, dizziness, and fatigue.

What are its long-term effects?
Prolonged, heavy use of alcohol can lead to addiction (alcoholism). Sudden cessation of long term, extensive alcohol intake is likely to produce withdrawal symptoms, including severe anxiety, tremors, hallucinations and convulsions. Long-term effects of consuming large quantities of alcohol, especially when combined with poor nutrition, can lead to permanent damage to vital organs such as the brain and liver. In addition, mothers who drink alcohol during pregnancy may give birth to infants with fetal alcohol syndrome. These infants may suffer from mental retardation and other irreversible physical abnormalities. In addition, research indicates that children of alcoholic parents are at greater risk than other children of becoming alcoholics.
Think you know the facts about alcohol abuse? If you consume alcoholic beverages, it’s important to know whether your drinking patterns are safe, risky or harmful. If you haven’t done so already, you may want to take this Alcohol Assessment Quiz.

Quote:The Effects of Alcohol

If you have seen someone who has had too much to drink, you've probably noticed definite changes in that person's performance and behavior. The body responds to alcohol in stages, which correspond to an increase in BAC:

Euphoria (BAC = 0.03 to 0.12 percent)

They become more self-confident or daring.
Their attention span shortens.
They may look flushed.
Their judgement is not as good -- they may say the first thought that comes to mind, rather than an appropriate comment for the given situation.
They have trouble with fine movements, such as writing or signing their name.

Excitement (BAC = 0.09 to 0.25 percent)

They become sleepy.
They have trouble understanding or remembering things (even recent events).
They do not react to situations as quickly (if they spill a drink they may just stare at it).
Their body movements are uncoordinated.
They begin to lose their balance easily.
Their vision becomes blurry.
They may have trouble sensing things (hearing, tasting, feeling, etc.).

Confusion (BAC = 0.18 to 0.30 percent)

They are confused -- might not know where they are or what they are doing.
They are dizzy and may stagger.
They may be highly emotional -- aggressive, withdrawn or overly affectionate.
They cannot see clearly.
They are sleepy.
They have slurred speech.
They have uncoordinated movements (trouble catching an object thrown to them).
They may not feel pain as readily as a sober person.

Stupor (BAC = 0.25 to 0.4 percent)

They can barely move at all.

They can barely move at all.
They cannot respond to stimuli.
They cannot stand or walk.
They may vomit.
They may lapse in and out of consciousness.

Coma (BAC = 0.35 to 0.50 percent)

They are unconscious.
Their reflexes are depressed (i.e. their pupils do not respond appropriately to changes in light).
They feel cool (lower-than-normal body temperature).
Their breathing is slower and more shallow.
Their heart rate may slow.
They may die.

Death (BAC more than 0.50 percent) - The person usually stops breathing and dies.
TheRealVille Wrote:Smoking pot the night before has no more effect on you than smoking a cigarette the night before. You co-workers that drink the night before has more of a dangerous effect on their ability to run that equipment the next day than pot. And to add, no one should go to work under the influence of ANY drug.

Pot doesn't either, if used in moderation. You are equating all pot users as being stoners. You might be surprised to know that Steve Jobs was a pot smoker, as is Ted Turner.

So would smoking pot on work breaks like people do with cigarettes would be okay?

Who would use pot in moderation if givin the chance to but it in teh store in packs just like cigs? Last time i checked, Jobs is dead.
TheRealVille Wrote:Not one single case of your so called ill health effects. 90% percent of those "short term" effects can be associated with coffee. Some of the long term effects of pot were from the Nixon days, and when shown reports to the opposite, he chose to keep all of the positive reports hidden. There is not one single case of a person that smoked only pot having any adverse health effects. I guess you aren't going to watch the video and see some of the reports that were doctored and others that were ignored by the government when Nixon declared his war on drugs. There are doctors on there that will help dispel a lot of myths. BTW, I know several pot smokers that don't cough at all. You think that be because they don't also smoke tobacco?

I notice you get this "effect" post from an "alcoholism and drug free" website, lol.

You cant deny the effects on people smoking pot.
Its right here before your eyes and you have nothing to come back with except rambling on how not all pot smokers are pot heads, Really?

I know smokers who dont cough at all, does it mean there lungs are not being affectd?

Damn, how many pot heads you know realville.
TheRealVille Wrote:I also find it interesting to know that there isn't one single case of someone smoking pot only, of beating the crap out of their wife or kids. Can we say that for alcohol?

I love how people that know nothing about marijuana, are the ones that fight it the strongest, and have the most false knowledge they bring to the discussions.

BTW RIUTG, no one in history has died of marijuana induced heart failure, and not one person has ever OD'd on marijuana.

Alcohol wasnt ever mentioned by me.

And i too stated that noone has overdosed on pot if you will actually read my post. It was post 37.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So would smoking pot on work breaks like people do with cigarettes would be okay?

Who would use pot in moderation if givin the chance to but it in teh store in packs just like cigs? Last time i checked, Jobs is dead.
Do you drink alcohol on break, like people that drink pop? Do people use alcohol in moderation now that they can buy it in a store? Steve Jobs is dead from a cancer that pot has no cause in.
Since you didnt like my first source, here are three other credible sources....

http://www.theantidrug.com/drug-informat...juana.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marij...ts-effects

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
TheRealVille Wrote:Do you drink alcohol on break, like people that drink pop? Do people use alcohol in moderation now that they can buy it in a store? Steve Jobs is dead from a cancer that pot has no cause in.

Nope i dont drink alcohol on break, that would mean id be buzzed, the same way you get with pot.
not that it matter but i dont drink pop either, but even if i did, it wouldnt have the effects of pot.

As for Jobs, who knows, maybe if he wouldnt have been a stoner, he might have been healthier....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Alcohol wasnt ever mentioned by me.

And i too stated that noone has overdosed on pot if you will actually read my post. It was post 37.
I know you didn't mention it. But the point was, that pot smokers don't go home and beat the shit out of their wife and kids, but people that drink alcohol tend to get more aggressive, and a lot of times do get drunk and do the above.. Pot smokers don't, pot makes you passive.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Nope i dont drink alcohol on break, that would mean id be buzzed, the same way you get with pot.
not that it matter but i dont drink pop either, but even if i did, it wouldnt have the effects of pot.

And as for Jobs, im not saying it killed him. But its been proven that people who smoke pot are 3 times more likely to get cancer.
That's the point. You can't equate the legalization of pot to it's abuse at the workplace no more than you can alcohol. You equated that people would smoke pot, just like cigarettes if it were legal and in a pack they could carry. That's as foolish as thinking people would drink alcohol on the jobsite, just because it comes in a can or bottle, just like pop is.

And no, it hasn't been proven that pot smokers have a 3 times more chance of getting cancer. Pot has five times more tar than cigarettes, but think about it, not many people smoke four joints a day(equal to a pack of cigarettes)

I can tell from your knowledge of pot that you are way in above your head here. Alcohol is untelling how much more unsafe and unhealthy than pot, are you saying you would be for making it illegal?
^
How many times has a stoned driver killed somebody in a car accident?
A family with a WIFE and KIDS in it. Same as alcohol.
treat the "pot" high as you would the alcohol "high"- Impaired is impaired, and the laws should reflect that
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
How many times has a stoned driver killed somebody in a car accident?
A family with a WIFE and KIDS in it. Same as alcohol.
I'll guarantee it's thousands of times less than alcohol. For the record, and I don't condone driving while high on pot either, people high on pot tend to barely get a car over 30mph. I know this for a fact. Someone high on pot tends to drive very slow. Again, given the health effects of alcohol, and it's effects of drunk driving deaths, and domestic abuse, are you saying you would like to make it illegal also?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Since you didnt like my first source, here are three other credible sources....

http://www.theantidrug.com/drug-informat...juana.aspx

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marij...ts-effects

http://www.nida.nih.gov/infofacts/marijuana.html
That's almost the same exact articles. Those articles have so many lies in them, that it's hard to count. You know why I can't trust those articles? They all say you can suffer adverse effects from withdrawal of pot. This is just not true. You might miss the euphoric(high feeling) effect of pot once you quit, but there are absolutely no withdrawal symptoms of stopping the use of pot. You have bought into the government lies.
RIUTG, given the adverse health effects, drunk driving deaths, and domestic violence attributed to alcohol, are you in favor of making it illegal? I would love to know what redeeming quality there is in alcohol that makes it ok in your mind, and pot so bad.

I ask this in a post all by itself, because when I ask it in posts that we are discussing other points also, you seem to miss that I have asked this twice. That and the fact that I have noticed that you said you love several different types of alcohol in the other thread.
Two old sayings come to mind here.

"Ignoring truths, doesn't diminish those truths, nor make them go away or be less true."

"Everybody has their own "pet" sins."

Alcohol is RIUTG's pet sin. It is ok because he likes it, while the clearly less harmful pot is not ok, because he doesn't use or like it.
I realize that I am new to this site and I will apologize in advance if I offend anyone as that is not my intention. I respect everyone's opinion on this matter which is what makes our nation great that we can have a debate about this.

However...

It ENFURIATES me when people begin the discussion about legalizing pot. I'm not going to throw out fancy statistics, over endulged videos, etc... I can only speak to you about the experience I have had with pot. I watched my brother be consumed by it and then move on to harder drugs. Now, I am witnessing my son throw away his future because all he wants to do is "smoke it up".

Sure I smoked pot as well but look at me now...barely graduated from high school...didn't finish college....not anywhere near successful as I wanted to be....this is all because I got high every day of my life. I finally wised up when I couldn't comprehend real life. That is what pot does, removes you from reality. You can say "scientifically it does this, scientifically it does that, blah, blah blah"....the fact is that it is mind altering drug. An illegal one at that and for a reason.

There is no way in hell I want this legal. Not after what I have personally witnessed how it affects people. Especially those I love. You say it should be legalized so that the government can control it. Because they have done so well controling things to this point.

Here is what happens if it is legalized. I now have to be subjected to Mr. X smoking it outside the mall while I take my daughter shopping. I have to then worry about Mr. X getting behind the wheel of his car. Then I have to worry about the possibility of Mr. X being my pharmacist, or my doctor, or the person making my food. Not a scenario I want to be a part of. I don't know about you, but I would like to know when I am talking to someone, they are coherent and not watching pink elephants on parade...

I am somewhat OK with their being medical marijuana. But it should be taxed out the a$$ and handled by actual drug companies and there only needs to be one strain.

Has anyone ever seen the movie Idiocracy? That is the future of the nation if pot is legalized...
TheRealVille Wrote:That's almost the same exact articles. Those articles have so many lies in them, that it's hard to count. You know why I can't trust those articles? They all say you can suffer adverse effects from withdrawal of pot. This is just not true. You might miss the euphoric(high feeling) effect of pot once you quit, but there are absolutely no withdrawal symptoms of stopping the use of pot. You have bought into the government lies.

So every article is a complete lie and the whole world is agains the pot smoking liberal formerly knows as TheRealVille.

:Thumbs: