Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UFC 142: Aldo vs Mendes
Date: Jan 14, 2012
Venue: HSBC Arena
Broadcast: Pay-per-view and FX

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Champ Jose Aldo vs. Chad Mendes (for featherweight title)
Vitor Belfort vs. Anthony Johnson
Mike Massenzio vs. Rousimar Palhares
Carlo Prater vs. Erick Silva
Edson Barboza vs. Terry Etim

PRELIMINARY CARD (FX)
Sam Stout vs. Thiago Tavares
Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
Yuri Alcantara vs. Michihiro Omigawa
Ricardo Funch vs. Mike Pyle
Caio Magalhaes vs. Fabio Maldonado
Felipe Arantes vs. Antonio "Pato" Carvalho
To be honest, this isnt a card im very excited about. I wont be getting this one, if I do watch it, it will be at hooters where I have to pay no cover. The only fight Im gonna make it a point to check out is Fabio Maldonado who looked great against Kyle Kingsbury, some of the best use of boxing to the body I have ever seen in MMA.
^ I'm with you. Just hard to get excited for a Featherweight Main Event
Faber-Cruz at the end of the next ultimate fighter is the only fight that kinda excites me from anything below 155 in the near future. Even in that fight, Faber isnt the same fighter he was a few years ago. It seems that once Mike Brown dropped him when he was trying to throw that back elbow in the first fight, he kinda slowed down with that exciting stuff that made him champ.
Jose Aldo will probably wreck Chad Mendes.

I love me some Aldo.
Mendes has looked good. I think Aldo will wreck him as well...but if mendes can get a few takedown and steal a few rounds, it could be his. Im def gonna have my money on him hoping for a good outcome.
However, the prelim card looks pretty good for "free" fights....
I agree, Ill be watching the free fights. Any PPV card that has Mike Massenzio isnt gonna get a buy from me though.
My boy Anthony "Rumble" Johnson is fighting on this card as well, his debut at 185.

He's looking jacked.
Have you seen the pic of him training J-Rod? It amazes me he can make 185, might as well 170 like he used to do...well sometimes.
Yes I have.

I'd say he probably weighs about 220 right now, he's freakin' huge.

I think this cut will be easier on him tho.
I am a Johnson fan as well. Hope he comes out with a win which I think he will.
NothingTrivial Wrote:To be honest, this isnt a card im very excited about. I wont be getting this one, if I do watch it, it will be at hooters where I have to pay no cover. The only fight Im gonna make it a point to check out is Fabio Maldonado who looked great against Kyle Kingsbury, some of the best use of boxing to the body I have ever seen in MMA.

Maldonado is off the card with injury now. But im with you guys. I don't think I will be buying this card. Just bought 141 and can't afford another $45. Card looks good though. I'm excited to see AJ at 185 although I think Vitor was a huge step up in competition especially for his first opponent at 85.
I saw that Maldonado was off the card yesterday, sucks. Vitor is a huge step up in competition for AJ.
Im amazed....anthony johnson is a moron. Weighed in at 197lbs.
UFC 142: Aldo vs. Mendes will be a great fight. See you on Justin.tv, ustream, Greenfeedz.com after this fight
-_-
Done and gone....That was a night of awful officiating at its best.
NothingTrivial Wrote:Done and gone....That was a night of awful officiating at its best.

Pretty much.

Erick Silva should appeal, those shots he landed on Prater were pretty clean from what I seen.
There was only 1 that I saw that was even questionable....but with no warning or anything from the ref....that was a joke, as was the stand ups in AJ's fight. How about that wheel kick by Barbosa....that was just sick.
I want to see Palhares move up to some better competition.
What in the world was going on in these fights? Its almost like some brazilian gangsters threatened all the officials before the event. Seriously those guys are normally pretty solid, and the job they did was totAly out of character for them.
I dont think ive ever seen dan m stand up fighters, especially that quick. Something fishy was definitely going on.
I would have to disagree on the striking not being an advantage for Evans. To me Jones' only advantage is his reach a la Tommy Hearns, get in on the inside and watch him get beat. He's got confidence for days that's for sure but I just can't buy him being better, Jones hasn't showed any legit KO power.