Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One last look at the 2011 football season
before we move on to the 2012 football season, let's have some fun with 2011

1. Best game you saw or heard this year
2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams player
3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball)
4. Best play you saw this year
5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad)
6. Greatest moment from the season
7. Final thoughts on the realignment

keep it clean
1. Best game you saw or heard this year: Harlan County vs. Southwestern in the Class 5A Region 4 Finals. The Warriors won their first-ever region title with a 28-21 overtime victory.

2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams player: Alan Williams - Southwestern. He did it all for the Warriors.

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Matthew Robinson - Perry County Central. This kid is the real deal.

4. Best play you saw this year: Latrell Wilson's kick-off return in game against Harlan County. Ball almost went out of bounds and he took it to house. That return really changed the game.

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad): Pulaski County. I was surprised how down they were this season.

6. Greatest moment from the season: Celebrating Southwestern's first-ever regional title.

7. Final thoughts on the realignment: Put private schools in their own class.
These answers are taken from games I watched or listened to on the radio

Hazard vs Mayfield Class A Final

2. Best offensive, defensive, special team’s player

Offensive - Zach Blanton Hazard
Defensive - Matt Robinson Perry Central
Special Teams - Lange Somerset

Matt Robinson

Zach Blanton run vs Pikeville in class a semis.

Perry Central (Good)

Hazard winning Class A title

Would like to see 5 classes or only top 2 from each district qualify for playoffs if 6 classes
1. Best game- Lewis County 33 Nicholas County 30. The Lions fought back from an 18-0 3rd quarter deficit and a 30-19 defect with less than 5 minutes remaining.

2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams player I saw this year.
Offensive- Patrick Towles, Highlands.
Defensive- Cody Lawhun, Lewis County. The senior DT racked up 34 tackles for loss and 20+ sacks for the #3 defense in 3A.
Special Teams- Burgy-Vanhoose, Pikeville. He had a bad game inte one I seen him(Fairview). But in warmups and everything you could tell he was a born kicker.

3. Best Ironman- Mackenzie McGlone, West Carter. He was the Comets leading rusher, second leading receiver, and even played some QB on offense. And racked up over 100 tackles and had 2 returns for TDs.

4. Best Play- Jarrett Parker's strip and score with under 2 minute's remaining to give Lewis County the win over Nicholas as Nicholas was trying to run down the clock.

5. Most surprising team(s)- Lewis County and Mason County. Lewis was 8-3 with their first winning record since 1988, first win over Mason since 1988, first district title since 1985, and first ever win over Russell. Mason was 2-8 and missed the playoffs for only the second time under Coach Buchanan. Mason was a preseason top 10 team in 3A.

6. Greatest moment from the season- Lewis County defeating Russell for the first time in school history and clinching the district title at the same time.

7. Final Thoughts on realignment- Have only two teams from each district make playoffs.
Of course everyone knows that almost all of my football viewing involves Russell Co. So, based on games I saw this year:

Knox Central @ Russell Co. one of the most exciting games I've ever watched. This game was so hyped up and both teams were ready to play. Either team could have won this game. I don't think the lead was ever more than 7, and it kept going back and forth. Had these two teams played 4 more quarters it would have probably stayed just as tight.

Offense--Nick Britt Russell Co and Jeffery Canady Knox Central
Defense--Matt Robinson (ihigh vs Knox Central) The boy really was a beast.
Special Teams--Lucas Williams Kicker Russell Co.

Boston Bryant - Whitley Co. Had never heard of this young man before they came to Russell, but left the game having a tremendous amount of respect for him.

Russell Co QB sneak to take the final lead against Knox Central. On 3rd and Goal Barton Mann was stuffed at line but kept his feet and was shoved through on the right by Nick Britt. See above video @ 12:35 mark.

Tie: Collins and Southwestern. Both teams made it deep into the playoffs having to deal with unusual circumstance. For Collins it was now home field to play on, and for Southwestern it was much more.

For me it was the Laker win over Knox Central. Being a Knox Central Graduate living in Russell Co and having a son who lettered for the Lakers, this was a game I'd been waiting for since the realignment was announced. This on top of the fact that I grew up playing ball with the Canady's and my son is a very good friend of Nick Britt's gave me a personal interest in both these teams. I could have never imagined a more exciting game.

For Russell Co it wasn't a big difference. While in the east we were in the district with ACS and Franklin Simpson, and matched up in the playoffs with Lone Oak's district. Now we're in the Rock and Knox and line up with Boyle and LexCath. So we basically went from one tough region to another. At least we don't have to make that long drive to Paducah to go play the Lone Oak anymore. However, I'd love to make the shorter drive to BG to play the Purple Flash next December.
1. Best game you saw or heard this year ... Belfry - 14, Central - 15. We came up short but it was an exciting hard fought game that was won on a one-in-ten pass. Can't beat that.

Offensive: Richard Trent/Markell Hayes
Defensive: Donald Styles/Philip Francis
Special Teams: Zack Vanhoose/G Duty

From Belfry: Josh Dixon .. Can't really note anyone else

Gary Runyon's pick six to seal the win over Garrard with 12 seconds, Louisville Central's incredible TD pass w/ 2 minutes to beat Belfry, Belfry's goal line stand vs. Ashland on the 2pt conversion in a 7-6 win. Josh Fletcher muffed punt vs. Belfry,

Pikeville

Philip Haywood's 346th win, and JJ Jude breaking the rushing record.

Move Louisville schools to Indiana )):
These are all from games I saw in person or online

1. Best game you saw or heard this year: Belfry vs. Lou. Central, 3A final

2. Best offensive player: Kentayvous Hopkins, Bourbon County
Best defensive player: Thomas Chapman, DuPont Manual
Best special teams player: Joey Nussbaum, Beechwood

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Eric Walker, Cov. Holy Cross - 72 catches, 1,283 rec. yards, 24 total TDs, 7 INTs

4. Best play you saw this year: Cov. HC vs. Glasgow, CHC Eric Walker rips the ball away from a Glasgow defender in the endzone for a TD.

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad): Cooper

6. Greatest moment from the season: Watching Hazard and Cov. Holy Cross celebrate winning their 1st state titles in football

7. Final thoughts on the realignment: Not a fan of it, but it is what it is. Feel bad that Woodford County can go 6-4 and miss the playoffs while there are 0-10, 1-9 teams making the playoffs.
1. Best game you saw or heard this year:
Collins at Franklin-Simpson

2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams player:
Offensive: Darius Wickware - Franklin-Simpson
Defensive: Michael Brooks - Collins
Special Teams:

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Michael Brooks - Collins

4. Best play you saw this year:
A long run by a Spencer County player against Collins in the playoffs and Isaac Shaull's punt return for a TD against Franklin-Simpson

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad):
Collins - I knew they would be good but I didn't expect them to be a TD away from the state championship game.

6. Greatest moment from the season:
Pretty much every Collins game but the very best moment would be Collins victory over Western to win their first regional championship.

7. Final thoughts on the realignment:
Personally I don't have much of a problem with it but there are some teams that have to travel way too far for playoff games.
1. Best game you saw or heard this year: Harlan County vs Bell. Even though HC lost they played a respectable game on log mountain. I was pretty cold and I was into the game so much I didn't get cold until I was walking out!
Offensive: Pokey Harris-GRC & Marcus McMillian-Harlan County
Defensive: Southwestern D-Line
Special Teams: Josh Jenkins K-Harlan County

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Jordy Brewer-Harlan County

Harlan County's Tucker Lewis FLIP into the Endzone against Dunbar in the ihigh bowl.

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad): Letcher Central-thought Logan Johnson would leave the cougars with a bang.

Harlan County defeating Perry Central (again) for the District Title.

Something needs to be done, especially with the 4 team districts! Would kinda like to see a playoff with different classes, it would be nice to see Highlands and Bowling Green to square off. Not feasible with high school but they could play in the regular season.
toussaints Wrote:before we move on to the 2012 football season, let's have some fun with 2011

keep it clean

1.Best Game
TIE- Whitley 27 Somerset 21, Perry Central 41 Whitley 40.

2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams
Best Offensive- Nick Britt Russell County
Best Defensive- Matt Robinson PCC
Special Teams- Seth Mccoy Kicker, Whitley

3. Ironman
Boston Bryant- Whitley

4. Best Play
Believe it or not im going against Whitley on this one.
During the PCC game Whitley scored with just a few seconds left to make it 41-40. Everybody and there brother knew Whitley was going for two and that Bryant was getting the ball. Whitley pretty much said to PCC stop it. And they came up with an incredible defensive play to do just that.

5. Most Surprising
Id have to go with PCC. I think a lot of people underrated them going into this year. I believe they surprised a lot of people.
SW also shocked me with there play. They came out of nowehre to surprise teams. I still think both PCC and Harlan County were better but SW found a way to win.
Also, before injuries got them, i think Harlan Ind. turned some heads.

6. Greatest moment for me would have to be looking at Whitley after the loss at SW in the first round and thinking....we get all of these kids back next year lol.

7. Im fine with the realignment. I think people look way to deep into it and IMO its MUCH better than the 4 class system we had. Your going to have blowout either way, even in the state chmapionship games. Of course nobody likes an 0-10 team making it to the playoffs, but i think its helpful for that one seed to get ome good game time reps in instead of having a bye in the first round or playing a much harder team ight off the bat.
Pretty much, i like it. Leave it like it is.
(1) Best game you saw or heard this year

There was actually 3 of them I saw.

- Central 15 - Belfry 14, this was a very exciting game from what I heard, both teams didn't wanna lose and it was a shame that one team had to lose. Both teams in my book are winners

- Estill County 34 - Morgan County 30, very exciting game, both teams played there hearts out and neither team wanted to leave with a Loss.

- Walton-Verona 30 - Estill County 25, another very exciting game, Estill had there chances to win but couldn't connect at the end of the game.

(2) Best offensive, defensive, special teams player

- Offensive - Patrick Towels (Highlands)
- Defensive - Matt Robinson Perry Central
- Special Teams - Burgy-Vanhoose, Pikeville

(3) Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball)

- Matt Robinson Perry Central

(4) Best play you saw this year

- Estill freshmen QB Trevor Jones throws around a 45 Yard TD pass as time expires before halftime during the Morgan County Game

(5) Most surprising team this year (good or bad)

- Good - Garrard County (I really didn't think that they would make it as far as they did)

- Bad - Estill County Sad (I thought they would have won more games then they did)

(6) Greatest moment from the season

- Estill knocking off a very good Morgan County team

(7) Final thoughts on the realignment

I really think they should keep it the way it is, if they was to go back to a 3/4 Class it would cause the small schools any chance at going anywhere in the playoffs. Schools that have around 700-1000 students should be in a class with other small schools that size.
Going strictly from what, and who I saw this year...

Best game you saw or heard this year
Bell vs. Harlan Co, Tough hard fought game with Harlan dominating the first half, than Bell coming back and dominating the second for the comeback win.

Best offensive, defensive, special teams player
Offensive: Toss up between Kyle Bolin and Anthony Wales
Defensive: Boston Bryant from Whitley impressed the heck out of me.
Special Teams: Cory Davenport was big for Bell in ST, with both punt & kick returns, always a threat to take it back, and he was a tremendous, and under rated punter.

Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball)
Jonathan Polly from Bell, made a move to Linebacker close to halfway through the year, had 2 ints both for tds, a fumble recovery for a td, 79 tackles on the year (not official, can't find defensive stats for the Central game, but I'm guessing he finished in the high 80's or 90's, he was all over the field) and also pitched in 715 rushing yards and 7 td's.

Best play you saw this year
The long Polly run vs. HC late in the game to take the lead is what stands out most to me.

Most surprising team this year (good or bad)
Whitley, I did not expect them to be down so much this year, always a tough team it seems. Still fought the whole season.

Greatest moment from the season
Watching Hazard represent the mountains well and win a state title.

Final thoughts on the realignment
It's okay for the most part, I'd like to see Bell in the east instead of for whatever reason in the west, to avoid all the long traveling throughout the season and early in the playoffs.
BellCoFaithful Wrote:Special Teams: Cory Davenport was big for Bell in ST, with both punt & kick returns, always a threat to take it back, and he was a tremendous, and under rated punter.

His punting surprised me. I remember at least 3 punts of 60+ from him off the top of my head.

Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball)
Jonathan Polly from Bell, made a move to Linebacker close to halfway through the year, had 2 ints both for tds, a fumble recovery for a td, 79 tackles on the year (not official, can't find defensive stats for the Central game, but I'm guessing he finished in the high 80's or 90's, he was all over the field) and also pitched in 715 rushing yards and 7 td's.

I believe I remember his tackle numbers for the central game being in the upper teens.

Ill take Wales over Bolin he made our defense look ridiculous a few times. I agree with you 100% on everything else.
blue1424 Wrote:1. Best game you saw or heard this year:
Collins at Franklin-Simpson

Offensive: Darius Wickware - Franklin-Simpson
Defensive: Michael Brooks - Collins
Special Teams:

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Michael Brooks - Collins

A long run by a Spencer County player against Collins in the playoffs and Isaac Shaull's punt return for a TD against Franklin-Simpson

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad):
Collins - I knew they would be good but I didn't expect them to be a TD away from the state championship game.

Pretty much every Collins game but the very best moment would be Collins victory over Western to win their first regional championship.

Personally I don't have much of a problem with it but there are some teams that have to travel way too far for playoff games.
That was one of the best runs I had ever seen any level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strikeout King Wrote:- Central 15 - Belfry 14, this was a very exciting game from what I heard, both teams didn't wanna lose and it was a shame that one team had to lose. .

Think we could convince them to give us a trophy and rings, too!?
I can't keep it simple. Obviously this will have some Franklin-Simpson perspective but I will add objectivity.

1. Best game you saw or heard this year:

Franklin-Simpson v. Collins. Both teams left all they had on the field. It was all out start to finish.

1A. Franklin-Simpson v. Lone Oak at Lone Oak. FS defense totally frustrated the Flash holding them to 7 points despite excellent field position.

2. Best offensive player: Easy Patrick Towles. He played for Highlands so they won. Put him on FS side of the ball and they win. Even Highlands could not defend two Wickwares and Towles.

2A is Darius Wickware of FS. Some speed, a lot of strength and the heart and determination of a lion.

Defensive player: Michael Brooks from Collins. He is everywhere.

2A is Kane Ray of FS. Smaller version of Brooks, over 200 tackles.

Special teams player: Jerrell Wickware of FS.

3. Best Ironman: O'Shea Ray and Ray Huckaby both of FS. Both undersized and both battled in the trenches all game every game.

4. Best play you saw this year. Two. Both occurred in the FS/Collins game. One the punt return by the kid from Collins mentioned above. Two, the win sealing interception by J. Wickware.

5. Most surprising team this year: Franklin-Simpson, did not really see them in the SC game.

6. Greatest moment from the season: Playing for a State Championship

7. Final thoughts on the realignment: Leave it alone, EXCEPT allow teams to play up in class. That has always been done and should be an option.

Bowling Green vs St. Xavier - BG fights off a 14-7 deficit at the half to give the Tigers their first loss to a public school since 2004.

Offensive - James Quick, does that really need an explanation?
Defensive - Jason Hatcher, also obvious reasons
Special Teams - Jeremy Harness , so explosive.. a danger to any opposition when he touches the ball.

Parker Cash - Glasgow (QB,SS)

Cov. Holy Cross ripping the ball out of Glasgow's defender's hands for a TD.

Franklin Simpson, 4A State Runner-Up (good)

Too many to count.

Leave it how it is. No more changes.
Kentucky vs Tennessee Border Bowl,, Bunch of great kids working together.

2. Best offensive: Cory Wilson/Markell Hayes Garrard running back combo
I was impressed with the 2 brothers on Powell's O-line
Best defensive: I liked LB's Brett Dowell and G. Runyon
Special teams player: Seth McCoy

Got to go with Dylon Worley (Garrard OT/DE/DT) 79 Tackles

Billy Abney to Tyler McCoy on last play of Overtime against Bourbon at BC.

Good - Garrard
Bad - Estill ( Sorry Strikeout King; I was rooting for you guys to make a run)

Garrard taking Home first Regional Title

7. Final thoughts on the realignment..
Screw it,,,, Play Ball!!
GetChili Wrote:1. Best game you saw or heard this year: Harlan County vs. Southwestern in the Class 5A Region 4 Finals. The Warriors won their first-ever region title with a 28-21 overtime victory.

2. Best offensive, defensive, special teams player: Alan Williams - Southwestern. He did it all for the Warriors.

3. Best Ironman (plays on both sides of the ball): Matthew Robinson - Perry County Central. This kid is the real deal.

4. Best play you saw this year: Latrell Wilson's kick-off return in game against Harlan County. Ball almost went out of bounds and he took it to house. That return really changed the game.

5. Most surprising team this year (good or bad): Pulaski County. I was surprised how down they were this season.

6. Greatest moment from the season: Celebrating Southwestern's first-ever regional title.

7. Final thoughts on the realignment: Put private schools in their own class.

# 7 will NEVER happen. Want to be the best, you got to beat the best.
Really wish things would have been better for a great group of seniors at Lawrence.