Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strikeforce's 145-pound women mull lighter work
This weekend's Strikeforce show in Saturday will mark the first time in almost a year and a half that Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos defends her 145-pound title. Don't be surprised if she goes through another lengthy stretch before fighting at that weight class again.

A dearth of quality fighters at her preferred weight has Santos making plans for 135 pounds after this weekend.

"It's going to be difficult, but I'm going to try to make the move if there's going to be more work for me there," Santos said recently. "I want to try to do both categories if possible, but I know there'll be more opportunities at 135."

Strikeforce and its parent Zuffa understand the problem. Thursday's announcement of an agreement that guarantees eight Strikeforce events for the Showtime network included a commitment to the 135 and 145 divisions for women, but Zuffa President Dana White couldn't resist a jibe.

"So basically what we're going to do is, we're keeping one division and 'Cyborg,' " joked White, who in the past has questioned the depth of talent in women's fighting.

Her opponent on Saturday, Hiroko Yamanaka, has faced the same issue in Japan. At 5-foot-10 and pushing 158 pounds when she isn't cutting weight for a fight, Yamanaka looms as a particularly intimidating presence in her home country, where women generally are smaller than in the United States or Western Europe.

"There's not that many girls who weigh that much in Japan," Yamanaka said. "That's why I'm here for the first time fighting in the United States against the champion. … .There probably are not many girls fighting for the title. Luckily for me, I'm here to take the spot."

She believes her longer limbs could help her keep Santos at a distance and counter effectively when the champion rushes forward. But at least one other lanky female veteran, 5-foot-9 Marloes Coenen, tried the same strategy but found herself unable to avoid Santos' powerful strikes.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/...k/586696/1
[Image: http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_...munity.jpg]

Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos
Just beat the #2 woman in her weight class in about 20 seconds.
and then there is this