Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlands QB Patrick Towles wins Kentucky's Mr. Football
It was made official today, Highlands QB and UK Commit Patrick Towles won Mr. Football

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/15/19958...uckys.html

Towles finished with 9 of 15 total votes. Louisville Central's Anthony Wales finished 2nd with 3 votes. Trinity's James Quick finished with 2 and Johnson Central's J.J. Jude finished with 1 vote.

Towles joins 1998 winner Jared Lorenzen as the 2nd player in Highlands history to win the award. He's Northern Kentucky's 4th winner.
Congrats well deserved!:1:
More from the AP, Louisville Trinity's Bob Beatty win Coach of the Year

Also, the AP has released it's All State Team
How did Quick get votes? I thought the award was only for seniors. I do think he is the best player in the state but I don't think he was eligible for it.
Grats Towles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:How did Quick get votes? I thought the award was only for seniors. I do think he is the best player in the state but I don't think he was eligible for it.

Sour grapes for the 2 writers who voted for Quick. Outstanding player but not eligible for an award that is a senior award. Congrats to the big fella. Good luck as he goes to UK. Heard he was changing is jersey number to 14 in honor of his HOF grandpa.
Congratulations. Well deserved.
Great season and career! Can't wait to see him in a UK uniform!
^ Agreed. I'd love to see him be the answer at the QB position
LexCathKnight15 Wrote:How did Quick get votes? I thought the award was only for seniors. I do think he is the best player in the state but I don't think he was eligible for it.

The voters can vote for whoever they want, but the senior with the most votes gets the award. Quick could have had 10 votes, he still wouldn't of got it.
Congrats Towles! Very Very deserving!!!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
As much as Highlands football coach Dale Mueller likes to envision his players maximizing their abilities, he admits he never envisioned a young Patrick Towles eventually being Kentucky’s Mr. Football.

Towles, a 6-foot-6, 240-pound senior quarterback, earned the honor from the Associated Press, which also released its All-State football teams Thursday.

“I try to be Mr. Positive and I really try to say, ‘Gosh, you can really improve...,’ but I would have never thought he was going to be Mr. Kentucky Football when he was a freshman,” said Mueller. “He was a backup quarterback on our freshman team ... . It just confirms that hard work pays off.”

Towles is the second Highlands player to win Mr. Football, joining quarterback Jared Lorenzen in 1998, and the fourth Northern Kentucky player to win the award since its inception in 1986. Newport Central Catholic tight end/nose tackle Frank Jacobs won in 1986, and Boone County running back Shaun Alexander won in 1994.

“It’s awesome, because you have so many wonderful players in the state,” said Towles. “It feels good to be recognized ... To be in the same conversations with talented players like Frank Jacobs and Jared and Shaun Alexander, it’s a great honor.”

This past season, Towles, who has committed to the University of Kentucky, completed 181 of 279 passes for 3,820 yards, 42 touchdowns and rushed for 589 yards and 15 touchdowns in leading Highlands to the Class 4A state title. Towles was one of four Highlands players selected to the AP All-State first team. He was joined by senior wide receiver Austin Sheehan, senior defensive tackle Devin Bruns and senior defensive back Drake Bruns, who has committed to the University of Cincinnati.

Beechwood, which reached the Class A state semifinals, had two first-team players, senior offensive lineman Brett Eyckmans and senior kicker Joey Nussbaum.

Boone County senior linebacker Mikel Reynolds, who led the Rebels to the Class 6A state semifinals, was also a first-team selection.

Among area players earning second-team honors were Covington Catholic senior offensive lineman Bradley Way, Covington Catholic senior kicker Evan Talkers and Holy Cross senior linebacker Paul Lampone.

Area players selected honorable mention were Newport Central Catholic senior quarterback Brady Hightcew, Covington Catholic senior running back Gabe Gray, Holy Cross senior wide receiver Eric Walker, Owen County senior wide receiver Sawyer Williams, Beechwood junior linebacker Max Nussbaum, Walton-Verona senior linebacker Quincy Page and Ryle senior defensive back Ryan Smith.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...312150181/
LEXINGTON, Ky. — Dale Mueller knew he was safe when he called Patrick Towles the best player in Kentucky after Highlands' win Dec. 3 over Franklin-Simpson in the Class 4A championship.

Towles was selected as Kentucky's Mr. Football 2011 by The Associated Press after voting across the state by 15 media members.

"It's a true honor to be considered the best player in the state of Kentucky," said Towles, who collected nine votes ahead of Louisville Central's Anthony Wales (three votes), Louisville Trinity's James Quick (two votes) and Johnson Central's J.J. Jude (one vote) in the Player of the Year poll.

"The only thing that really matters to me is winning," Towles added. "I think the fact that I won three state championships — leading us to them — is why I got it."

A verbal commitment to the University of Kentucky, Towles threw for 3,820 yards and 42 touchdowns this season as Highlands notched its 21st state championship and fourth in a row. Mueller called Towles, who also rushed for 589 yards and 15 touchdowns, a "dynamic" player.

Towles also threw just one interception in the Bluebirds' 15 games.

"That's like a misprint," Mueller said. "There may never have been a stat like that. It's almost laughable. If high school coaches see that, they'd say, 'No, that can't be correct.'"

Towles joins Highlands receiver Austin Sheehan on the Kentucky All-State Football Team. Defensive lineman Devin Bruns and defensive back Drake Bruns represent the Bluebirds on the first-team defense.

Towles started his high school career as Highlands' backup freshman team quarterback, a far cry from the best player in the state.

"Now he's winning awards," Mueller said of Towles, also named the Paul Hornung Award winner and Gatorade Player of the Year in Kentucky. "He's just that same humble guy who tries hard every day."

Towles came to spring football before his sophomore year and beat out the quarterback ahead of him as a freshman. He progressed to second string at the junior varsity level as a sophomore and had his named called with the Bluebirds playing then-No. 2 in the country Cincinnati St. Xavier on national television.

"I came in the St. X game as a skinny sophomore who probably weighed 180 pounds, but I just had great players around me," Towles said.

Highlands beat St. Xavier, finished 15-0 in 2009, and Towles took the Bluebirds' starting quarterback job from that point forward. Throughout his high school career, Towles passed for 7,429 yards and 73 touchdowns, and he lost just once.

As important as winning to Mueller is Towles' personality — " a man in the truest sense of the world" — which the Highlands coach attributed that to the quarterback's upbringing.

On his mother's side of the family, Towles' grandfather is Jim Bunning, former Major League Baseball pitcher and Kentucky state senator. On his father's side are three generations of police officers.

"If you had to count on Pat for anything, you can just rely on him coming through for you — whatever it is," Mueller said. "He's like a 28-year-old man in so many ways, and he's also like a 7-year-old boy when it comes to sports. He's just so happy to be a part of it. Games are so fun to him."

Towles will continue his career at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. He reaffirmed his commitment to Kentucky after the state title game, saying, "If I could write my name in stone right now I would."

The 6-foot-5, 232-pound quarterback will visit Kentucky officially on Friday. He said he remains "150 percent" on board with becoming a Wildcat.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...312150140/
Heres an idea....Start thi kid next year!!!!!
I knows hes better than the two jokes we have now.
Congrats Patrick on a great year and fantastic career at HHS. With this young mans personality and humility I see nothing but good things in front of him in the future!!! Also congrats to Austin Sheehan, Drake Bruns and Devin Bruns as well as the others selected to the All-State team.
Saw him play 3 times this season against Johnson Central, Lex Cath and Franklin Simpson. In all 3 games there was no doubt who the best player on the field was. Very well deserved.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Heres an idea....Start thi kid next year!!!!!
I knows hes better than the two jokes we have now.

I think he gets a legitimate shot
Best player in the Kentucky!

Never a doubt.
toussaints Wrote:The voters can vote for whoever they want, but the senior with the most votes gets the award. Quick could have had 10 votes, he still wouldn't of got it.

That is not so. Any player can win it. It is for the best player in Kentucky. Much like the Heisman. You can be a sophmore , junior or senior and win it. I don't believe anyone other than a senior has won Mr. Kentucky football, but there have been underclassman that have won the Heisman.
tradition Wrote:That is not so. Any player can win it. It is for the best player in Kentucky. Much like the Heisman. You can be a sophmore , junior or senior and win it. I don't believe anyone other than a senior has won Mr. Kentucky football, but there have been underclassman that have won the Heisman.

No the guidelines of the award are to the best senior in Kentucky.

It is ONLY for seniors. If it were open to everyone then Brian Brohm would have more than one along with Lorenzen.

It is Mr. Football of Kentucky, not the Heisman.
Hatz Wrote:No the guidelines of the award are to the best senior in Kentucky.

It is ONLY for seniors. If it were open to everyone then Brian Brohm would have more than one along with Lorenzen.

It is Mr. Football of Kentucky, not the Heisman.

Then someone better tell Dale Mueller because he said it is not limited to seniors only and given to the best player in Kentucky.
tradition Wrote:Then someone better tell Dale Mueller because he said it is not limited to seniors only and given to the best player in Kentucky.

Dale is wrong on that one. Great coach, but it doesn't mean he knows the rules of every award.

It has ALWAYS been limited to seniors only.

As to the two votes for Quick, that's the first time I have EVER heard of an AP voter ignoring the rules and voting for an underclassman.

PS: Just saw on wikipedia this statement: The Kentucky Mr. Football Award is an honor given to the top high school football player in the state of Kentucky and in the KHSAA.

That's probably where Dale got that idea. It's incorrect however. Just looking at the list tells you that if underclassmen were eligible then you can guarantee that: Shaun Alexander would have had two, Michael Bush would have had two, and probably Lorenzen.
Here's the def for Mr. Basketball according to wikipedia: The Kentucky Mr. Basketball honor recognizes the top high school senior basketball player in the state of Kentucky.

Stands to reason the two awards are the same. Now why trust this definition versus the football? Which is correct?

I remember when it was finally instituted in '86 it was done so with the understanding it would follow the same guidelines for Baskeball which had been in place since '56. :Thumbs:
It has always been the best player that is a senior. I think the overall best player is usually a senior.
Congrats
tradition Wrote:Then someone better tell Dale Mueller because he said it is not limited to seniors only and given to the best player in Kentucky.

In Kentucky, Mr. Football is limited to seniors, unless the AP changed the limitations this year.

In Ohio, Mr. Football is available for all football players regardless of class. Robert Smith won it twice over there. That's where Mueller was getting confused.
Congrats big guy. Good to hear you will be wearing the Blue next year also.
Congrats to Mr Towles! can't wait to see this kid play college ball.