Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penske Racing Fires Kurt Busch
Quote:The Charlotte Observer is reporting Kurt Busch has been fired as driver of the Penske Racing Dodge.

An official announcement is expected on Monday morning at which time Busch will be officially released from the balance of his contract with the team.

The newspaper reports several sources have confirmed that team owner Roger Penske decided Busch's latest altercation at Homestead-Miami Speedway in the Sprint Cup Series season finale was the last straw in his stormy tenure with the team.

Busch used an obscene gesture and launched into an expletive-laden tirade toward ESPN reporter Dr. Jerry Punch after he left the race early with a transmission problem. The incident was videotaped by a fan in close proximity and posted You Tube.

NASCAR fined Busch $50,000 for the behavior.

Penske Racing and team sponsor Shell/Pennzoil both issued apologies in the aftermath of the incident and Busch admitted to seeking professional help for his emotional outbursts.

"I need to be a better person on the radio, to the team, as a leader," Busch said during last week's Champion's Week activities in Las Vegas. "I'm actually working with a sports psychologist to try to help me work through that."

The firing would be the second time Busch has lost a Sprint Cup ride due to behavior problems. He was released from Roush Fenway Racing in 2005 after being cited for a DUI in Phoenix. He was parked for the final two events of the season and began his career with Penske the following season.

Penske will now have to find both a driver and crew chief for the No. 22 team after Steve Addington's departure to join Tony Stewart's championship-winning ride in 2012.

Kurt was one of my favorite drives, so it sucks to see him get fired from a big team like Penske.

But he'll be back in the saddle shortly I'm sure.

Guess it's time to start looking for a new driver to root for.
I'm really surprised by this decision.
I see kurt driving part time next year then taking over joey laganos ride the next year have both busch boys driving for joe gibbs
Thank God..Now bring on David Ragan, Penske...My favorite driver in my favorite looking car!
Seen some rumors that Richard Petty Motorsports are interested in bringing Kurt Busch in to drive the #43 Best Buy car, replacing A.J Allemendinger.