Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hazard 24 - Mayfield 6 (KHSAA 1A State Championshp)
I would also like to say that only 2 of those pick's by Hazard were badly thrown ball's. Hazard just played the pass exceptional. They made a really good QB look like Ned and the first reader with the stengy defense they played. The best I saw them play all year and in reguards to another thread on this site they did it with pretty much smashmouth football. Just what the east is known for.
Backwoods Wrote:I think that all the hype Mayfield got throughout last season and then the big game they had in the finals against Hazard kinda threw all of us in the east off just a bit. It made Mayfield look like they were light years ahead of all of us in the east. I think it even got Mayfield to feeling light years ahead of everyone else when really Hazard's 5 turnover's and a good game by Mayfield was all it was. I'm glad the Bulldog's didn't buy into it. Mayfield is a great team and so is Beechwood but they are not light years ahead of Hazard,Pikeville or other's in the east. Next year I am not gonna listen to all the hype on those Powerhouse teams in the west and I think this win by Hazard has taught our kid's that they are closer than they realized. I believe it will spark a fire under,not just Hazard and Pikeville,but other team's in the east. Thank's to the Hazard Bulldog's for showing the rest of the east what hard work and heart can bring us.Championships!

Why would you think Mayfield was light years ahead knowing they were losing the best QB they ever had? The passing game was big for Mayfield last year in the championship game.
"Walk softly and carry a big stick". That is exactly what Hazard did. They didn't get on a public forum and tell everyone how good they were. They proved how good they were on the field. They did a good job this year understanding that the game was not going to be played on a message board. Of all the trash talking that took place and being told they couldn't compete with the athleticism and physicality of Mayfield (which was proven to be much to the contrary) they played and won the game where it should have been won, on the field. It is nice to know power rankings still cannot judge the heart of a bunch of determined young men. People can say that this Mayfield player was playing hurt, or this one had something wrong with them but the fact of the matter was there were plenty hurt on the Hazard roster as well. They fought through the pain and didn't leave room for excuses, win or lose, they played as well and hard as any team possibly could. That is the measure of true character.The town and community are proud to have these young men represent them. They have done more for the Hazard Football Program than they will realize for a long while. Congratulations to them and way to bring the gold back to the mountains.
blitzingback Wrote:"Walk softly and carry a big stick". That is exactly what Hazard did. They didn't get on a public forum and tell everyone how good they were. They proved how good they were on the field. They did a good job this year understanding that the game was not going to be played on a message board. Of all the trash talking that took place and being told they couldn't compete with the athleticism and physicality of Mayfield (which was proven to be much to the contrary) they played and won the game where it should have been won, on the field. It is nice to know power rankings still cannot judge the heart of a bunch of determined young men. People can say that this Mayfield player was playing hurt, or this one had something wrong with them but the fact of the matter was there were plenty hurt on the Hazard roster as well. They fought through the pain and didn't leave room for excuses, win or lose, they played as well and hard as any team possibly could. That is the measure of true character.The town and community are proud to have these young men represent them. They have done more for the Hazard Football Program than they will realize for a long while. Congratulations to them and way to bring the gold back to the mountains.

Show me where a Mayfield player posted anything. You won't find it. You either meant fans or players. Which is it? It seems your just like the people you are talking about.

IMO even with a healthy Jackson we would not have won that game. To much domination in the trenches for Hazard.
[QUOTE=blitzingback;1330134The town and community are proud to have these young men represent them. They have done more for the Hazard Football Program than they will realize for a long while. Congratulations to them and way to bring the gold back to the mountains.[/QUOTE]

Nice

:1: Enjoy it Bulldogs
Backwoods Wrote:I think that all the hype Mayfield got throughout last season and then the big game they had in the finals against Hazard kinda threw all of us in the east off just a bit. It made Mayfield look like they were light years ahead of all of us in the east. I think it even got Mayfield to feeling light years ahead of everyone else when really Hazard's 5 turnover's and a good game by Mayfield was all it was. I'm glad the Bulldog's didn't buy into it. Mayfield is a great team and so is Beechwood but they are not light years ahead of Hazard,Pikeville or other's in the east. Next year I am not gonna listen to all the hype on those Powerhouse teams in the west and I think this win by Hazard has taught our kid's that they are closer than they realized. I believe it will spark a fire under,not just Hazard and Pikeville,but other team's in the east. Thank's to the Hazard Bulldog's for showing the rest of the east what hard work and heart can bring us.Championships!

Looking back on it the win that was the exception was Mayfield's 2010 title being so lopsided. IN 08 Hazard was close and they won it this year. Prior to this game it made it look like Mayfield and Beechwood were light years ahead. So much so I knew Jackson, Scott and the line were hurting but I didn't expecdt it to matter no matter who we put out there and I was wrong. Hazard demonstrated that very well. Hope we both make it back next year for round 3
Wasn't talking about the players for either side posting anything, just those that continually dragged on and on about how the title was decided the week before and that Hazard didn't have a chance.

I just want to see those that typed their fingers off before this game, eat that warm meal of crow! That means more to me than talking a bunch of crap about everyone. But, I've noticed they haven't been back. Just putting this on here for when they do!

By the way, congrats to Mayfield on a great season (Meant to put this on the first one and forgot). They are a very talented team and will be making noise for a few more years.
You should never count yourselves out in a ballgame...

Unless you're playing my Bluebirds. Big Grin
Congrats to the Bulldogs on the big win. I thought they had no chance, but I was dead wrong. I enjoy being wrong when something like this happens. Coach Dixon is a class act. He does things the right way.
blitzingback Wrote:I just want to see those that typed their fingers off before this game, eat that warm meal of crow! That means more to me than talking a bunch of crap about everyone. But, I've noticed they haven't been back. Just putting this on here for when they do!

I can understand that.
Congratulation Hazard Bulldogs on finally breaking into the very elite group of KHSAA Champions!!! I know that it is the first football title for Hazard but I have been trying to think back when the last time a school in 14th Region captured a title in football, baseball, or basketball. I think Hazard might have been in the title game in baseball back in maybe 1980 but that is as close as I can remember anyone getting.

Congratulations to Mayfield for a great season also! They have a very rich tradition and I am sure they will be back.
I didn't get to go to the game Sad but I managed to take some photos of the celebration back in Hazard when the team returned.

[Image: http://www.smoothphoto.com/Other-Galleri...amps-M.jpg]

http://www.smoothphoto.com/Other-Galleri...State-Win/
Rollitover Wrote:Congratulation Hazard Bulldogs on finally breaking into the very elite group of KHSAA Champions!!! I know that it is the first football title for Hazard but I have been trying to think back when the last time a school in 14th Region captured a title in football, baseball, or basketball. I think Hazard might have been in the title game in baseball back in maybe 1980 but that is as close as I can remember anyone getting.

Congratulations to Mayfield for a great season also! They have a very rich tradition and I am sure they will be back.
I think, if the paper was correct, the last state title for the 14th region was Hazard's 1955 Sweet 16 win in basketball. Other than that, I can only think of the MC Napier teams, I believe there was a few years they were in the 14th?
PHSForever Wrote:I think, if the paper was correct, the last state title for the 14th region was Hazard's 1955 Sweet 16 win in basketball. Other than that, I can only think of the MC Napier teams, I believe there was a few years they were in the 14th?

Hazard won the Sweet 16 in 1955 but I think Carr Creek won it in 1956. Dilce Combs won an All-A state title in 1993, I believe, and Hazard won the All A state title in 2004. I don't think MC Napier ever won a state title in basketball. Well, the Lady Navajos won the state basketball title in 1994.
Congrats Bulldogs on a very impressive State Championship Game. You make the other mountain teams & fans proud of you. You won with class & sportsmanship.
Congrats Hazard!!!

Glad to see the gold brought back to Hazard and the Mountains!
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:Hazard won the Sweet 16 in 1955 but I think Carr Creek won it in 1956. Dilce Combs won an All-A state title in 1993, I believe, and Hazard won the All A state title in 2004. I don't think MC Napier ever won a state title in basketball. Well, the Lady Navajos won the state basketball title in 1994.

1997 - Hazard Girls' Sweet 16 Champs
1997 & 1998 - Hazard Girls' All "A" State Champs
PHSForever Wrote:I think, if the paper was correct, the last state title for the 14th region was Hazard's 1955 Sweet 16 win in basketball. Other than that, I can only think of the MC Napier teams, I believe there was a few years they were in the 14th?

The paper is wrong. I believe Breathitt County has three State football championships and they reside in the 14th Region.
Congrats Hazard!!