Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weston Robinson or Gordan Varney
Straightballa4 Wrote:
Nobodyknows Wrote:In that case livemaroon i would habve to take Varney because he rushed for over 1700 yards last season. What did Robinson rush for? Varney put Central on his back and pretty well carried them after Anthony Chapman went out with a knee injury. I have heard Varney has close to 4'4 speed from a very reliable source and is powerful and illusive. Varney is my choice.

Sorry but your facts are wrong. He rushed for 1400.

No actually they are right becuz he rushed for 1726 last season becuz he broke the record at 1501 and got over 300 yards rushing in the last regular season game and received 120 against Middlesboro in the last game.
Weston Robinson, any day of the week.
Here's a real quick statement to clear up the Varney v Robinson question.

Varney couldn't start at Pikeville and Robinson has for two years!
Im going to say Gordon Varney only considering that Robinson has had many injuries which will hurt him in the long run
Coach Mac Wrote:weston pretty much played none his 7th-9th grades years

Gordan didnt play any. 0. zilch. nada. Until he got to high school.
Hurley Wrote:
Coach Mac Wrote:weston pretty much played none his 7th-9th grades years

Gordan didnt play any. 0. zilch. nada. Until he got to high school.
So would you rather have a player that has been playing for only high school or one that has been playing since like 3rd grade and has more practice and knows more skills??
spxdad Wrote:Here's a real quick statement to clear up the Varney v Robinson question.

Varney couldn't start at Pikeville and Robinson has for two years!

Very well put
Now people should understand who is better!
Who runs the faster 40?
Please enlighten us on how Varney couldn't start at Pikeville and Robinson can.
Well heres the main reason he wouldnt start at pikeville....becuz Weston is there.......There ya go
ComfortEagle Wrote:Who runs the faster 40?

I don't know who runs the faster 40. I think Varney runs it in about 4.5 or 4.4. Someone who knows for sure please post the time.
Wow! A little bias toward Pikeville now aren't we. The truth is no one will ever be certain if Varney would start at Pikeville becuase there is ZERO chance Varney would ever go to Pikeville, as where there is ZERO chance Robinson would come to Central. No one knows who'd start over who!
i talked to him a month ago and he was talkin about the 40 and how he hasent ran a timed one in so long but he said he ran a 4.72 and he said he ran it the summer before he was a sophmore so i dunno but i think that varney is probaly faster on a dead sprint but robinson is quicker then him u never know
maybe we should go up to the track and race them
haha
Robinson, hands down.....Weston isn't the biggest back in the world, but compared to Varney he is a monster.

Actually, Varney is so small I almost wanna say he looks cute out there on the football field.lol
How about this both running backs are incredible okay i mean we will realy c who is better once mac goes to PC and we see how Varney plays in Macs style of offence if he plays better in macs style of offence then we may know. But IMO both running backs are equaly great and neither one will ever b as good as Howard.
mac never had a offense
actually he never does anythign with the offense hes a D man
but coach salyers does offense
ohhhhhhhhhh my bad thanks for correcting me on that but like i said there equaly good lol jw y was Eric Ratliff ever there then b/c hes a defencive man lol
gish Wrote:
Redneck Wrote:BUT, Weston has been doin it for 2 years now and goin on his 3rd, AND Weston plays some stiffer competition IMO. EKY 2A in't as tough as EKY 1A, but that's just my opinion.

LOL what are you smoking? Pike Central plays in a district with Prestonsburg and Belfry, and a region with Breathitt Co. and Middlesboro. Don't even say that EKY 1A is tougher then EKY 2A. Considering the last 4 years a team from that region has been in the state finals and 3 of them have won state. I'm not saying that Varney is better, but his region is MUCH better then Weston's. IMO there were three teams in that 2A region better then Pikeville at the end of the year.

That's only 3 teams in the region that are top contenders every year, Middlesboro just moved up to 2A year before last. In EKY 1A there are 5-6 teams that could win it: Pikeville, Somerset, Paintsville, Lynn Camp, Hazard, Harlan. I'm not trying to take anything away from EKY 2A, they are 3 time defending State Champions, but other than those 3 teams, the rest of EKY 2A is weak.
Redneck Wrote:
gish Wrote:
Redneck Wrote:BUT, Weston has been doin it for 2 years now and goin on his 3rd, AND Weston plays some stiffer competition IMO. EKY 2A in't as tough as EKY 1A, but that's just my opinion.

LOL what are you smoking? Pike Central plays in a district with Prestonsburg and Belfry, and a region with Breathitt Co. and Middlesboro. Don't even say that EKY 1A is tougher then EKY 2A. Considering the last 4 years a team from that region has been in the state finals and 3 of them have won state. I'm not saying that Varney is better, but his region is MUCH better then Weston's. IMO there were three teams in that 2A region better then Pikeville at the end of the year.

That's only 3 teams in the region that are top contenders every year, Middlesboro just moved up to 2A year before last. In EKY 1A there are 5-6 teams that could win it: Pikeville, Somerset, Paintsville, Lynn Camp, Hazard, Harlan. I'm not trying to take anything away from EKY 2A, they are 3 time defending State Champions, but other than those 3 teams, the rest of EKY 2A is weak.

Actually, those 1A teams play to lose in the semi-finals.

2A over 1A in EKY easily. Your kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Yeah...I'm sure that most teams play to lose :roll:
Weston is a decent running back, seen a whole lot better come through Pikeville though. GV rushed for 1700 yards with a line that offered little support. Who's going to remember Robinson's name when he graduates? Probably only his parents, but who's going to remember GVarney who has the possibility to completely change a program. Varney is by far a much better back, robinson ran 75% behind one of the better linemen in state in Sully, none of PCC linemen even made district team. Robinson got the majority of his yards against Phelps, Painstville, South Floyd, I mean seriously..wow Varney had 180 yds on 3 carries against South Floyd. Let Robinson run against Breathitt, Belfry, North Laurel, Prestonburg, Middlesboro with the line at PCC and see how he fairs.
Redneck Wrote:
gish Wrote:

Very wrong on that one. Paintsville football?????? please....Hazard??? please.....any one of those weak teams would beat those two. Breathitt county, Belfry, Prestonsburg, Middlesboro, Russel, Leslie County....Tell me your joking. Those teams produce alot more than most of the teams you named.
Beef Wrote:Yeah...I'm sure that most teams play to lose :roll:

You know what I meant. A Pikeville team is a disappointment if they do not make it to the semi-finals. But thats where it ends. The big three in 1A (Danville, Beechwood, and NCC) are far and away better football teams than any 1Avschool in the mountains, including Pikeville.

I don't like it, but it is a proven fact.
I would definetely choose that weston robinson kid..
i've seen varney in action, and he really is nothing special --
but that weston guy -- man.. he's got heart.. a lot of it too, you can't stop him.. period..

if you want to choose a guy who is going to give you some stats -- get varney.

if you want to choose a guy who is going to play til he drops, and until he has that championship.. choose weston...

westons just overall more sound in his skills and in his athletic performance.. i haven't seen such determination in a lad in years..
Robinson still not the caliber back that Pikevilles use to..I mean seriously compare Robinson to Brent Coleman, heck Robinson wasn't even the best back on this years team.
Wow, you keep throwing Varney #'s out there that Robinson beats.
Robinson rushed for 116 yds against Belfry---Varney______?
Robinson rushed for 134 yds against P-Burg---Varney______?
Robinson rushed for 195 yds against S Floyd.
Keep in mind Robinson only played one quarter plus against Jenkins, Allen Central, Fleming Neon, Phelps...those teams that were blow outs for Pikeville.
How many did Varney have against Shelby Valley? Magoffin Co? South Floyd? East Ridge? Betsy Layne?--
Varney--26 carries per game--262 carries---1742 yds--6.6yd avg
Robinson--13 carries per game--162 carries---1236yds--7.6 yd avg
POOFACE Wrote:Let Robinson run against Breathitt, Belfry, North Laurel, Prestonburg, Middlesboro with the line at PCC and see how he fairs.
Pikeville's line was nothing to write home about either!
You all could keep on going on about this forever but we will truely never realy know who the better back is between these two and you will never know who would win a Pikeville Pike Central football game unless these two players play against one another or unless PC and P-Ville play one another. No one is ever going to agree on this. All anyone is doing is making asumptions on 2 teams and players who have never played against one another. One team is single A one team is double one plays in a TOUGH district another team plays in a weak district. One team has a very decent line the other doesnt (PC). Give it a rest please.
one more thing Robinson had a nice full back to give him very nice blocking in front of him keep that in mind.
spxdad Wrote:Wow, you keep throwing Varney #'s out there that Robinson beats.
Robinson rushed for 116 yds against Belfry---Varney______?
Robinson rushed for 134 yds against P-Burg---Varney______?
Robinson rushed for 195 yds against S Floyd.
Keep in mind Robinson only played one quarter plus against Jenkins, Allen Central, Fleming Neon, Phelps...those teams that were blow outs for Pikeville.
How many did Varney have against Shelby Valley? Magoffin Co? South Floyd? East Ridge? Betsy Layne?--
Varney--26 carries per game--262 carries---1742 yds--6.6yd avg
Robinson--13 carries per game--162 carries---1236yds--7.6 yd avg

Pikeville didn't have 116 yards rushing (total) against Belfry.

If I remember correctly Robinson had 40 yards and Shurtleff about 16.

Those are about dead on, too.