Poll: Who wins
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Franklin-Simpson
6.82%
Highlands
93.18%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin-Simpson vs Highlands (4A Championship)
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111...me_oneline

David Christian will be one of a passel of passing targets at the disposal of Highlands quarterback Patrick Towles when the unbeaten Bluebirds play Franklin-Simpson in Saturday's Class 4A state championship game in Bowling Green.

It could have been a different story for the junior receiver, who has bounced back from a near-fatal episode he experienced during a summer bout with a rare infection. He is alive today quite possibly because he prepared so hard for the football season.
Blau Vogel Wrote:http://www.franklinfavorite.com/articles...455756.txt

Highlands is a private school in northern Kentucky that attracts such talent as the sons of former Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris (is he related to Cris?) Collinsworth. The Bluebirds’ quarterback, 6-5, 235-pound Patrick Cowles, could be calling signals for Joker Phillips next season at the University of Kentucky. Considered one of the top 50 prospects in the southeast, which includes Florida and Georgia, Towles has thrown for 3,637 yards and 41 touchdowns. He’s been intercepted just once in 14 games. He also ran for 14 TDs.

It seems they failed to mention that the mother of Cris Collinsworth's sons is a life long resident of Fort Thomas and a graduate of Highlands.

Are you surprised that a reporter didn't do his homework?

A lot of people in the state are under the mistaken impression that Highlands is a private school. Independent School is the proper term, same as Bowling Green High.
Highlands is the high school in the Fort Thomas Independent School District. It is a public school system, the independent basically means it is not part of the Campbell County school system. Students are required to be residents of the city of Fort Thomas.
http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2011/11/.../news1.txt

FRANKLIN — Charles Weldon DeWeese joined a few other locals at lunch Tuesday at the Townhouse Restaurant, looking ahead optimistically to Franklin-Simpson High School’s appearance in the state football championship game this weekend.

It’s been 16 years since the Wildcats reached a football state final, and spirits in the Simpson County community are high as the Class 4A title contest against Highlands High School of Fort Thomas approaches.

“I think it’s great,” DeWeese said. “We’re going to win it. We’ve got a good team.”

Across Franklin, residents and businesses are gearing up for the title game at 3 p.m. Saturday at Western Kentucky University’s Houchens-Smith Stadium. This is Franklin-Simpson’s seventh trip to a state championship since 1975; the most recent was in 1995, when the Wildcats played in Class 2A.

Franklin-Simpson won state titles in Class 3A in 1979 and 1980.

Franklin-Simpson enters Saturday’s game with a 13-1 record, while Highlands - which won the last four Class 5A titles before moving to Class 4A - is 14-0.

Steen Larsen works in Bowling Green, but on Tuesday, he shared lunch in Franklin with DeWeese and others from the town.

“This is a big deal,” Larsen said of the Wildcats reaching the championship. “This is a small community. Everybody’s proud.”

Phillip Pinson, a lifelong Franklin resident, said he doesn’t keep up with football, but he remembers Franklin-Simpson winning the championship in 1979 when he was a junior. He said he’s glad the team made it to the championship this year.

“Football’s a big thing in this town,” Pinson said. “I know everyone involved in it is really excited.”

John Estep, who owns Franklin Sporting Goods, provides the uniforms for many of Franklin-Simpson’s sports teams. Cheerleaders from the school paint his window for home games.

“I think it just gives the whole town a boost,” he said of businesses showing school spirit.

Estep said hometown pride has swelled because of the successful football season. “I think any time the sports teams excel, it’s good for everybody,” he said. “In a small town and small community, I think it’s great that our sports are so good.”

Billy Patterson, 18, a junior football player at Franklin-Simpson, came into Estep’s store Tuesday. Patterson said the community has been supportive of the team - everywhere he goes, people offer congratulations and get him hyped up for the title game.

“It’s definitely the big news,” Patterson said. “Everybody’s ready for it.”
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...-Highlands

Fort Thomas Highlands will be gunning for its fifth straight state title and 21st overall, and the Bluebirds have a ton of firepower. Highlands has already set a new state record for points in a season (807) and total touchdowns (115). The Bluebirds have scored 50-plus points nine times. University of Kentucky commitment Patrick Towles is the quarterback and the frontrunner for Mr. Football honors. He has a 41-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and has 14 players who have caught touchdown passes. Towles can also do it with his feet, and he showed that last season with five rushing TDs in the title win over Christian County. Franklin-Simpson won the 3-A title in 1979 and ’80 and comes in on a 12-game winning streak. The Wildcats have cousins Jerrell Wickware and Darius Wickware, who both have more than 5,000 career offensive yards. Former Western Kentucky University head coach David Elson is the defensive coordinator for the Wildcats.
loopholes.....If you accept tuition money, and can take kids from anywhere your private. You can dress a dog like a cat, but its still a dog. Protest it on here all you like, it is what it is!
Wildwind Wrote:Franklin Simpson may be a huge underdog but those boys seem to have a BIG CAT fight in them! The pressure will be all on Highlands. They have a lot to prove. It is hard to compare teams when one is from a small town touting a whopping 47 players while the other has over 100 players, a football legacy which in no doubt allows some recruiting. With all of that said...I will leave you with this.... 2007 Appalachian St vs Michigan....

Obviously not a HHS fan but this game will be over in a hurry! I'll leave you and Franklin-Simpson with this:Second: Congrats, be safe driving home....
Wildwind Wrote:I must have struck a nerve with a Highland fan....as you well know Highland is an INDEPENDENT school in a county with a population of over 80,000. According to your calculation of Ft. Thomas population...1% of them play high school football at Highlands. Really???? Simpson Co. doesn't even get close to 1/4 of a percent. Must be a very young population. Bowling Green (another powerhouse) is also an INDEPENDENT school. Some of Centrals best athletes end up at Bowling Green High...as I am sure some of Campbell counties best players go to Highland because of their success in football. Hence...recruiting...not that the school itself actually does this. I live in Simpson Co. and if I wanted my child to go to Bowling Green High...there is not a rule that can stop me. Therefore, the comparison is a little lop-sided so to speak. FS only gets the boys from their county. So, here is to Franklin-Simpson (David) who will meet Goliath this weekend. Go Cats!

Some one finally gets it. Although you have to pay to go to the school if you dont live in fort thomas. It is the public school of the city. Ive known of some families actually moving to fort thomas for the public school system (not just for football in most cases) its a safe town just outside Cincy. It is a small percentage of the football squad though, usually there are 2 to 3 players that are "recruited" on the team.

Area parents feel if their kid has the talent to go to the next level Highlands is the best way to showcase them. If they move to the town and enroll they dont turn them away. If you build it they will come.

The Collinsworths(mother's side) and Towles families are ft thomas natives for generations.
Wildwind Wrote:I must have struck a nerve with a Highland fan....as you well know Highland is an INDEPENDENT school in a county with a population of over 80,000. (1.) According to your calculation of Ft. Thomas population...1% of them play high school football at Highlands. Really???? (2.) Simpson Co. doesn't even get close to 1/4 of a percent. Must be a very young population. Bowling Green (another powerhouse) is also an INDEPENDENT school. Some of Centrals best athletes end up at Bowling Green High...as I am sure some of Campbell counties best players go to Highland because of their success in football. Hence...recruiting...not that the school itself actually does this. I live in Simpson Co. and if I wanted my child to go to Bowling Green High...there is not a rule that can stop me. Therefore, the comparison is a little lop-sided so to speak. FS only gets the boys from their county. So, here is to Franklin-Simpson (David) who will meet Goliath this weekend. Go Cats!

(1.) 84/16,495=0.00509, not 1% If you include the 52 that are on the freshman team, 136/16,495=0.0082, still not 1%

(2.) Whose fault is that? 47/17,019=00.276, MORE than 1/4 of a percent.

There are FIVE other high schools in Campbell County (excluding Campbell County HS) that are within 30 minutes WALKING distance of Highlands. If the Birds were doing anything untoward, don't you think they would be screaming to high heaven???
Highlands (14-0) vs. Franklin-Simpson (13-1), 4 p.m.: Four-time defending 5A champ Bluebirds, new to 4A, seek 21st title overall. One of those titles came against Franklin-Simpson in 1982 3A finals. The Wildcats won championships in 1979 and 1980 when Joker Phillips was one of their stars.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/01/19797...z1fO9qRJBo
Birds lose deep threat with Sheehan and thus lose the quick strike. Granted, they have other WR's but Towles seemed much more comfortable with Sheehan. Since Sheehan went down, they have yet to covert on the long ball. This is not the same quick strike offense that hammered Western and hence I don't predict a blowout win. I think FS's offense will present some challenges to Highlands and will keep the clock running. Bottom line: Clock running not a running clock. Birds 42 FS 21
FORT THOMAS, KY
The 2011 Highlands Bluebirds (14-0) could very well go down as the greatest team in school history if they finish the season by beating Franklin-Simpson (13-1) for an undefeated season this Saturday Dec. 3 in the state championship game.

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/local_spo...z1fOHApLvo
You must work for the school system OR your naivete is amazing! First of all, you HAVE to count the freshman...FS does. In fact, some of them are starters. So lets round up for 1% for Highlands a little less than 1/3% for FS. But let's move on to the bigger picture...(the one that you are really tore up over). Im sure the other schools do take issue with their players moving but lets not be silly and think that those kids don't move. Im sure that your county is no different than any other in the state that offers several schools to CHOOSE. Like someone else said "If you build it they will come". It is natural for parents that want their superstar children to have a shot at something bigger. Some of the other schools (as is the case in Bowling Green) tout tremendous success in other sports which allow the movement to their own prospective schools. Such as: run cross country go to Warren East...play girls softball go to Greenwood High, play boys basketball go to Warren Central...football and girls basketball...BOWLING GREEN HIGH. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS!!!!!!
NOBODY doubts that Highlands has a great team...and nobody doubts the success that they have in their program. MY POINT is this...FS KIDS are the products of multigenerational families that have lived in Simpson Co their entire lives with very FEW exceptions. They are not shipped in from the nearest city to play a sport. FS has over the years sent MANY kids on to futures with their respective sports. In fact, it is quite amazing that this small county has generated as many successful athletes as it has.
With that said...DONT BELIEVE for ONE SECOND that FS will roll over. They will leave it ALL on the field and whether they win or lose --THEY have accomplished something that makes Simpson Countians VERY PROUD!!!
The unbeaten Highlands football team, with a fifth consecutive state title in sight, is ready to take center stage in Saturday's Kentucky Class 4A championship game against Franklin-Simpson.

Highlands (14-0), riding a 19-game winning streak, is going after its 21st state championship beginning at 4 p.m. (EST) at Western Kentucky University's Houchens-Smith Stadium. Franklin-Simpson (13-1) has won two state titles, but none in 31 years

"We are very determined, hungry and confident," said Highlands' Dale Mueller, who is looking for his 10th state crown as coach. "Practices have been great and we're ready to go."

The Bluebirds, winners of the past four Class 5A championships, are seeking a title in a fourth different classification, with Class 2A and 3A championship trophies already on display.

"This is awesome to be going back to state," said Highlands senior quarterback Patrick Towles, who is verbally committed to the University of Kentucky. "We're really excited to get to the big show and let the rest of the state know what we can do."

Towles on Thursday was named the Gatorade Kentucky player of the year. He has seen film of three Franklin-Simpson games. "There's not a lot of teams that are used to contending with 60-yard passes down field," Towles said. "We're looking for ways to score on every down against them."

Franklin-Simpson is playing in its first title game since 1983. Although coach Tim Schlosser will be working to minimize any game-day jitters inside a 22,000-seat stadium, the Wildcats have come through as the stage has gotten bigger during their playoff run, with three straight narrow victories, including a 20-15 semifinal win over Collins.

No stage is too big for the Bluebirds, who have seemingly made a trip to the finals a birth rite for young Fort Thomas football players. Highlands, appearing in a state championship game for the 12th time in 17 years, has been flattening everything in its path. The average winning margin in the playoffs has been 40 points. The senior class is aiming for its fourth state title during a near perfect 59-game run that has them sitting at 57-2.

"Our team is built to win, and we can pass it or run it." said Towles, who has lost one game as a starter. He's thrown 41 touchdown passes this season and rushed for 14. In last year's Class 5A final, he rushed for 165 yards and scored five TDs. "You have to always make adjustments when you plays us."

The Bluebirds have a different player at each of the 22 starting positions. Franklin-Simpson uses as many as seven players on both offense and defense. Fatigue could hamper the Wildcats after chasing around Highlands' fleet of receivers, which can look like a warren of rabbits on every play.

http://www.NKY.com
Wildwind Wrote:You must work for the school system OR your naivete is amazing! First of all, you HAVE to count the freshman...FS does. In fact, some of them are starters. So lets round up for 1% for Highlands a little less than 1/3% for FS. But let's move on to the bigger picture...(the one that you are really tore up over). Im sure the other schools do take issue with their players moving but lets not be silly and think that those kids don't move. Im sure that your county is no different than any other in the state that offers several schools to CHOOSE. Like someone else said "If you build it they will come". It is natural for parents that want their superstar children to have a shot at something bigger. Some of the other schools (as is the case in Bowling Green) tout tremendous success in other sports which allow the movement to their own prospective schools. Such as: run cross country go to Warren East...play girls softball go to Greenwood High, play boys basketball go to Warren Central...football and girls basketball...BOWLING GREEN HIGH. EVERYONE KNOWS THIS!!!!!!
NOBODY doubts that Highlands has a great team...and nobody doubts the success that they have in their program. MY POINT is this...They are not shipped in from the FS KIDS are the products of multigenerational families that have lived in Simpson Co their entire lives with very FEW exceptions. nearest city to play a sport. FS has over the years sent MANY kids on to futures with their respective sports. In fact, it is quite amazing that this small county has generated as many successful athletes as it has.
With that said...DONT BELIEVE for ONE SECOND that FS will roll over. They will leave it ALL on the field and whether they win or lose --THEY have accomplished something that makes Simpson Countians VERY PROUD!!!

If my daughter lived in your area, she would go to BG for best cross country team, not Warren East. BG is much better.

Obviously you do not know much about Highlands with the statements you are making. Highlands too is a product of multigenerational families that have lived in Ft Thomas their entire lives with a few out of district kids (probably 2-3 kids a year). Ft Thomas is known as the bubble, because people do not move out of the town and houses are just handed down to the next generation. In fact I would venture to say their are relatives on this years team of players that played in 79 and 82 games agianst FS. IT is amazing the number of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th generation kids at Highlands.
"Last PLay"

you know, haters gunna hate. I bet there are as many or more 3rd and 2nd generation players on highlands as F-S.

The kids of the town are brainwashed by their uncles, fathers, and brothers showing them state rings and talking up days of glory. It used to be you could flash a state ring and get in the game for free with RW anyways. They dont do it anymore cause everyone has one. The program can push them as hard as they want because the competition is crazy. It's a brutal psychological winning cycle.
Wildwind Wrote:MY POINT is this...FS KIDS are the products of multigenerational families that have lived in Simpson Co their entire lives with very FEW exceptions.

Actually, this comment more accurately describes Fort Thomas and Highlands. But I suspect that you're going to believe whatever you want to believe, facts notwithstanding.

I caught the ihigh announcers for the Glasgow-Holy Cross game referring to the success of the private schools in the tournament and threw Highlands in that group. It's amazing how this type of misinformation continues to be haphazardly thrown around without any concern for the truth. Someone even posted a local Franklin Simpson article about the game that said the same thing about Highlands being a private school. I guess some people think that if they say something enough times..........
I KNOW that Im not the only person in this state lmao at the statements made by Highland supporters...YOUR team is special...in fact they ARE great...NO DOUBTS about IT!!!!!!
However, you can't measure HEART!!!!! FS will have that...I promise you and whether you beat them by 50 or by 3 they will walk off that field with HEART!!! and 0 recruitments. Can you say the same (seriously) to yourself? o
You all act like HIGHLANDS is Friday Night Lights. Good Luck Highlands and Good Luck Franklin-Simpson. May the best team of the night win and LEAVE IT ALL ON THE FIELD! Amen...Amen...Amen.
Let's not forget that all 3 middle schools in the Fort Thomas system, as well as the high school, are National Blue Ribbon Schools. The U.S. department of education awards this honor to only 5 or 6 schools statewide each year. It is the highest achieving district in the state, and was named by forbes.com last year as one of the top 25 PUBLIC school districts in the country.
kypecos Wrote:Actually, this comment more accurately describes Fort Thomas and Highlands. But I suspect that you're going to believe whatever you want to believe, facts notwithstanding.

I caught the ihigh announcers for the Glasgow-Holy Cross game referring to the success of the private schools in the tournament and threw Highlands in that group. It's amazing how this type of misinformation continues to be haphazardly thrown around without any concern for the truth. Someone even posted a local Franklin Simpson article about the game that said the same thing about Highlands being a private school. I guess some people think that if they say something enough times..........

Yea, the announcers that were on the video team for that game didn't know much. I listened to the announcers for the audio feed and turned down the volume on the video feed to watch the game. The timing was off but still the broadcast team for the audio was much better.
FRANKLIN — Underdog? Not a problem.

Franklin-Simpson (13-1) won’t have history on its side when it meets Highlands at 3 p.m. Saturday for the Class 4A football championship in the Russell Athletic/KHSAA Commonwealth Gridiron Bowl at Houchens-Smith Stadium in Bowling Green.

The Bluebirds (14-0) have won 20 state titles, including four straight, but the Wildcats aren’t blinking an eye.

“We all think we can win this - everybody in this locker room,” senior linebacker Oshea Ray said Wednesday. “I don’t think anybody outside this locker room thinks we can win it, but we’re used to winning.”

It’s been 16 years since Franklin-Simpson played in a state championship game. The Wildcats have played in six total, winning back-to-back championships in 1979 and 1980.

The community is hungry for some hardware.

“Everybody here is excited,” Franklin-Simpson coach Tim Schlosser said. “I’ve had several people call, and it’s kind of rekindled interest from people who were around here in the ’90s and late ’70s and early ’80s when we went to the state finals. Anytime you have a team advance, it brings everybody together.”

But to come out on top, the Wildcats must go through a seasoned Highlands team that broke its own state records this year for most points (807) and touchdowns (115) in a season. The Bluebirds have 56 consecutive winning seasons and haven’t lost a playoff game since 2006.

“We’re an underdog, but that’s good for us,” FSHS senior quarterback Max Bennett said. “We have nothing to lose. They have everything to lose.”

Highlands is led by senior quarterback Patrick Towles, who’s verbally committed to the University of Kentucky.

Towles has completed 169 of 261 passes for 3,637 yards, 41 touchdowns and one interception. He also has 14 rushing touchdowns and was named Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year this week.

“Their quarterback’s good, their defense is good,” Ray said. “They’re good. We’re good. If either of these teams weren’t good, they wouldn’t still be playing.”

The Bluebirds have five players with more than 200 rushing yards to complement their passing attack, and their defense has given up 12 points per game.

“They’re very balanced with what they want to do, and they’re very physical on both sides of the ball,” Schlosser said. “Defensively, they’re very aggressive. They’re not just overpowering size-wise, but they’re very strong and very quick.

“We’ve got to be able to sustain blocks and get first downs. When the opportunity presents itself to score, we’re going to have to get those points.”

Franklin-Simpson reached Saturday’s championship with a comeback win over Collins last week. The Wildcats fell into an early 9-0 hole and needed a touchdown with five minutes remaining to pull out the victory.

FSHS sealed the win with its bread and butter - a strong defense and running game. Senior running back/defensive back Jerrell Wickware intercepted Collins’ final effort, and his cousin, senior running back Darrius Wickware, rushed for 187 yards on 30 carries.

Darrius Wickware has 1,852 rushing yards and 28 scores this season. Jerrell Wickware has 14 total scores, and the Wildcats average 39 points per contest.

“Everybody knows what Highlands is capable of,” Bennett said. “I don’t really think Highlands knows what we’re capable of.”

After Saturday, the Wildcats will have had their time in the spotlight. Schlosser expects them to be right at home, he said.

“I would be surprised if this bunch was intimidated or in awe of the situation,” he said. “They don’t get wrapped up in all that. Hopefully we’ll keep our focus and be ready to play.”

http://bgdailynews.com/articles/2011/12/...ports3.txt
iHigh is showing audio only coverage of this game! Does anyone have a link for video?
Hello, there is a lot of misinformation being spread about Highlands and their so-called recruiting. In the 3rd or 4th grade I became a manager for the football team. I have lived my entire life in Fort Thomas and have been following the team since birth. I only graduated last year from Highlands. I know many of the players and have grown up with almost every single person on the team right now. But I am in a special place because I have been associated with the team for at least 10 years. There have been people who have come into the district in those years, but very, very few. Every senior on this team have been part of the Fort Thomas District since at least middle school and besides a few they are all multi-generation Bluebirds. The people on here fighting, saying that that we recruit is ludicrous. I know the people on this team, we don't have to recruit because growing up almost every child wants to be on that football team and we have Dale Mueller practically running the Junior League, instituting what he wants to be taught so the transition is minimal. The thought-process in Fort Thomas is that 'stars are not born they are made'. If every school had the early infrastructure that Highlands does they would be able to compete at the level Highlands does annually. Don't talk about things you do not know. Highlands does not recruit, they don't have to.
2dog Wrote:iHigh is showing audio only coverage of this game! Does anyone have a link for video?

Shows both video and audio at this link:

http://www.ihigh.com/khsaa/article_93786.html
Zach Harris 26-yard TD run for Highlands
Give them a short field and 6 plays, 58 yards - TD
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next