Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield vs Beechwood (semi state)
Beechwood by eleventy billion.
ontopofthewest Wrote:Does anyone know when BW plans on coming down and how many fans they bringing?

Don't know how many are coming down, but it won't be a lot. But whatever Beechwood fans do drive down, keep em there :HitWall:
RAMBAIT Wrote:Beechwood by eleventy billion.

Are you one of those Raceland fans who keeps thinking their team is good only to get your heart broke every year?:lmao:
The dynasty lives on... Mayfield wins BIG! Go Mayfield!
Mayfield is due to lose one - in 2015.
toussaints Wrote:Don't know how many are coming down, but it won't be a lot. But whatever Beechwood fans do drive down, keep em there :HitWall:

How true....:lmao:
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Are you one of those Raceland fans who keeps thinking their team is good only to get your heart broke every year?:lmao:

Give us a call we'll play you. We ain't scared. We could only lose. the sun will come up the next day.
RAMBAIT Wrote:Give us a call we'll play you. We ain't scared. We could only lose. the sun will come up the next day.

And that right there is a great attitude to have for a program. Wish more were like that.:Thumbs:
Just like when we play ashland and the guy next too me said "the got 80 kids on that team". I said yea.....but they can only put 11 on the field. We will play anybody anywhere. I have a feeling within the next 3 years we will see Mayfield. Got some serious talent coming up.
RAMBAIT Wrote:Just like when we play ashland and the guy next too me said "the got 80 kids on that team". I said yea.....but they can only put 11 on the field. We will play anybody anywhere. I have a feeling within the next 3 years we will see Mayfield. Got some serious talent coming up.

How long of a trip would it be for who has to travel?
It would take at least 7 hours. You are on the tip end of the west and we are on the tip end of the eastern part of ky.
Is beechwood completly healthy??? any body out ? Mayfields center and one of their running backs is out Mills-Rb. other than that , Strong.
Maybe i shoulda changed the name of this thread to "Whats it going to take for Beechwood to have a chance", Does any body think the wet field will play a role ?
ontopofthewest Wrote:Is beechwood completly healthy??? any body out ? Mayfields center and one of their running backs is out Mills-Rb. other than that , Strong.

I think their starting QB from the beginning of the year is still out, but Nussbaum has done a really good job filling in for him. He was the QB when they beat NCC so he's got some high pressure experience. I think that's it
field shouldnt be to wet..it drains nicely plus 2 good days in the 60's with the wind blowing. it should be fine. big change from last year though. it was in the low 20's and colder than a well diggers a$$ and friday game time should be high 50's.
Man i sure wish BW would bring some fans... I know ppl form all over are coming to support the black and red..
Team with the most wins gets another Mayfield in a pick'em
ontopofthewest Wrote:Man i sure wish BW would bring some fans... I know ppl form all over are coming to support the black and red..

Black and Red, oh, you mean BEECHWOOD!!!!
ontopofthewest Wrote:Maybe i shoulda changed the name of this thread to "Whats it going to take for Beechwood to have a chance", Does any body think the wet field will play a role ?

It should allow the Cardinals to to keep up with the Tigers, might be their only chance to keep the Tigers from winning by a running clock.....
ontopofthewest Wrote:Maybe i shoulda changed the name of this thread to "Whats it going to take for Beechwood to have a chance", Does any body think the wet field will play a role ?

It should allow the Cardinals to to keep up with the Tigers, might be their only chance to keep the Tigers from winning by a running clock.....Confusednicker:
Stardust Wrote:Black and Red, oh, you mean BEECHWOOD!!!!

Beechwood black????

Oh, after we beat'em up :lmao:
Yeah, ol Beechwood is Red and White, that white should go good with their faces when they step on that field and see the black in the stands!!
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Mayfield is a good program but noone in the eastern united states has the team speed of trinity. And I disagree with comparable to highlands or central mayfield may be the fastest team in 1a but Highlands and central Have about 30 kids that can flat out fly. That's why most if not all of there players only play one side of the ball.
And I don't think you've seen every team in in Kentucky let alone the Eastern United States.

Middletown out of Ohio is a lot faster than anything in Ohio but they aren't better at playing football than everyone in Ohio. The fastest football team I've seen this season is Armwood out of Florida but Louisville Trinity is still the best I've seen this season.
Beechwood travels to Mayfield in a showdown of 1A powers. The teams have met three times in the last 10 years, and each time there's been a lot at stake. In 2002, Mayfield beat the Tigers in the state finals. In '09, Beechwood won a semifinal battle on its way to the championship and, last year, Mayfield whipped the Tigers on its way to the title.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/24/19721...z1egRzHFb7
Stardust Wrote:It should allow the Cardinals to to keep up with the Tigers, might be their only chance to keep the Tigers from winning by a running clock.....

There he is again .. cracking us up .. Star is comedian:hilarious: a good one too!! By the end of the night the "kittens" are goign to wish that clock would run cause its going to be another long trip home..
ontopofthewest Wrote:There he is again .. cracking us up .. Star is comedian:hilarious: a good one too!! By the end of the night the "kittens" are goign to wish that clock would run cause its going to be another long trip home..

It will be a long trip home, but it will be made all the more enjoyable knowing that the Kittens will have sent the Redbirds south for the winter as the Beechies head to the State Final game next week.....
gobigredMHS Wrote:Yeah, ol Beechwood is Red and White, that white should go good with their faces when they step on that field and see the black in the stands!!

you saying Beechwood doesn't have many black fans?

cause that may be true :eyeroll:
Class A state semifinal: Beechwood (12-1) at Mayfield (13-0)

WHEN/WHERE: 8:30 p.m. today at War Memorial Stadium, Mayfield.

WHAT TO WATCH: These are the two premier Class A programs in the state as one or the other has played in the state championship game eight of the last nine seasons (Beechwood five times - winning three titles - and Mayfield four times - winning two titles, including last season). Both played tough schedules against bigger schools and then torched their Class A foes: Beechwood going 6-0 while outscoring them 354-47 and Mayfield going 6-0 outscoring them 311-23. Beechwood is a more ground-oriented team on offense, while Mayfield has good balance offensively. Mayfield held 11 of its 13 opponents under 10 points and didn't allow a single foe to score more than 14 points. Beechwood scored at least 21 points in every game this season. As with most small schools, several players play offense, defense and special teams. Mayfield's Jonathan Jackson is not only his team's rushing leader, but also its top defensive player with 130 tackles and five interceptions.

BOTTOM LINE: The teams met in the semifinals last year with Mayfield winning 38-14, but Beechwood returned almost everyone from last year's team and despite this game being on the road, it has a good chance to turn the tables this year.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll...111250323/
Beechwood football coach Noel Rash doesn't keep track of how many tackles individual defenders record, because he knows it's often the sacrifice his defensive linemen make that allow the outstanding linebacker duo of Max Nussbaum and Joe Staten to roam free and often make those tackles.

That line will certainly face a stern test when Beechwood plays at Mayfield in a Class A state semifinal playoff game at 8:30 p.m. today in a matchup of state powers.

One or the other has played in the state championship game eight of the last nine seasons - Beechwood five times, winning three, and defending state champion Mayfield four times, winning two titles.

This will be the third straight season the teams have met in the semifinals with Mayfield winning 38-0 in 2009 in Mayfield and 38-14 last season at Beechwood.

Mayfield (13-0) brings a 28-game winning streak into the game, dating back to losing in the 2009 Class A state championship game to Lexington Christian.

Beechwood (12-1) went 6-0 against Class A opponents, outscoring those foes 354-47. Mayfield also went 6-0 in Class A, with a 311-23 scoring margin.

Despite outstanding skill on both sides, Rash says tonight's game will be settled in the trenches.

"When you get to this time of the playoffs up front is where you win them and lose them," said Rash, who led Beechwood to Class A state titles in 2007 and 2008. "They blocked us up pretty good last year, but they use a lot of the same blocking schemes we use, so it really comes down to guys making plays."

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Nussbaum, a junior, 5-foot-10, 190-pound Staten, a senior, are the two best playmakers on defense, but Rash freely admits the success of the defense starts up front.

Rash mixes three-, four- and five-man fronts, featuring 5-foot-9, 215-pound senior Josh Bradley at one tackle with either 6-foot, 235-pound senior Drew Verkamp or 6-foot, 205-pound senior Dylan Lawless at the other tackle. The end features a rotation of 6-2, 215-pound senior Darrick Brilz, 6-5, 210-pound senior Dane Everett and 6-5, 210-pound senior Corey Cruse.

"With Max and State as good as they are, they can't do the things they do without those guys in front of them fencing people off," said Rash. "In this game we definitely don't want their blockers reaching our linebackers."

There are times Rash allows the line to try and make plays by jumping into gaps, but he said that's often dictated by down and distance and credits assistant coach Jeremy Fisher for providing good tendencies about what opponents do in those situations.

It will also be a big game for the Beechwood offensive line of senior left tackler Brett Eyckmans (6-5, 270), senior left guard Sean Flannery (6-0, 245), senior center Jeremy Williams (5-11, 230), right guards Lawless and Verkamp, who rotate, and senior right Caleb Wheat (6-4, 280).

"This game isn't about one or two guys it's about us getting it done together," said Rash. "That's ultimately what it comes down to every year."

http://www.NKY.com
I have a question Dust, I watched the BHS-MHS game last year and I didn't see #44 Nussbaum running the ball, why didn't you guys use him last year as another back?