•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest football player in your schools history?
BellCoFaithful Wrote:You sure about that? I'll say Cory is much more elusive than Shawn, but faster? no way. Cory runs what, 4.5, 4.6? Robbins ran dang near a 4.3 40.

Height: 5-foot-9.5
Weight: 164 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.42 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.35
Bench press: 20 reps
Vertical leap: 27.6"

There's Robbins numbers from a camp in Atlanta, GA his senior year. I doubt Cory is on the verge of a 4.3, Although he is a close 2nd, or 3rd in Bell Football history. Gotta have Buckeye Hunter, and Matt Raines up there too.

robbins isnt that fast. i was at the game in 03 when bell beat rock 28-12, he got chased down from behind by devin taylor, and taylor ran a 4.6.
Since I have been able to study high school football I would say that the fastest in our hisotry at Mayfield High School would be either from the 80's Marcus Moss and Jon Redd or Louis Love from this years team
From Russell Mike Jones is right in there.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I was definitely the fastest guy at Highlands.

Yea because them big ole mean football players got hostile if their water didn't get to them fast enough.

Wideleft01 Wrote:I thought it was fastest with the ladies.

Don't know that I would brag about that......Just sayin.
honestjchsfan Wrote:The Fastest guy I ever saw at JCHS was Paul Price. Long time JCHS Baseball Coach Mike Collins was so confident in Price's speed that he made a bet at a baseball camp in Florida on him. Paul won easy. I remember Price running a 11.1 100 meters at the grade school track meet when he was in 8th grade. He grew and got much faster in high school. Price played WR on the football team under Bill Music but would have been a Halfback in Matney's system. No disrepect to to Bill Music but he wasted Prices speed. JCHS didn't throw much then either. A former coach at Paintville once told Price was probably faster than Brad Tiller at the 60 or 100. The fastest player I ever saw at Painstville would be Brad Tiller. I don't know what his 40 time was but I'd guess 4.4. Tony Mayes would be a close 2nd.
I do not know what Price had in the way of time but I can tell you that Andy Lewis had a time of 10.97 in the 100 meters by KHSAA I believe at the 09 St. Track Meet. On the FB team but? He was in the company of Henry Neal 10.15 and Tyson Gay 10.46. I would say that this makes him not to shabby on the speed side.
Robbins was incredibly quick in 03, I was there when Boyd beat Bellin the first round of the playoffs
Well, we think it was Cletus Quick at Campbell County. Now they did not have clocks back during Cletus's days, be we was told that ole' cletus could outrun lightning, could catch a snake tie it in a not and put it back on the ground before it could even strike. Cletus once run back a kickoff for a TD so fast that kicker had not even kicked the football. Now they did not have clocks with hands back then, so we had no way of telling how fast he was by time, but I'd say ole Cletus was the fastest.....

Seriously, how can anyone know who the "fastest" player at your school was???? Do we have 40 times dating back a 100 years????
^ especially if it's coaches hand timed. We all know those things are accurate.

I don't care how fast someone is on a track at 40 yards. Do they have football speed and balance.
nky Wrote:^ especially if it's coaches hand timed. We all know those things are accurate.

I don't care how fast someone is on a track at 40 yards. Do they have football speed and balance.

Exactly. 40 times are just as much about form and technique as they are about speed. Your fastest player on the track might not be the fastest player on the field. The only 40 time I mentioned was Cole's because it was laser timed at a national combine, about as legit as it gets. If you have been watching your team closely enough for long enough you can at least make a solid guess at who was the fastest over that period.
Amped 88 Wrote:Cory Davenport hands down. Shawn wasn't near as fast.

Agreed, Shawn ran extremely hard but did not have the speed Cory does. Shawn was fast enough though and easily would be 2nd on the list nobody else come close.
BellCoFaithful Wrote:You sure about that? I'll say Cory is much more elusive than Shawn, but faster? no way. Cory runs what, 4.5, 4.6? Robbins ran dang near a 4.3 40.

Height: 5-foot-9.5
Weight: 164 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.42 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.35
Bench press: 20 reps
Vertical leap: 27.6"

There's Robbins numbers from a camp in Atlanta, GA his senior year. I doubt Cory is on the verge of a 4.3, Although he is a close 2nd, or 3rd in Bell Football history. Gotta have Buckeye Hunter, and Matt Raines up there too.

Corey's ran a 4.0 and 4.3 back to back and here are his freshman NUC stats.
Height
5'9
Weight
Offensive Position
RB
Defensive Position
CB
Best 40 Yard Dash
Best Shuttle Run
Best Broad Jump
9'3"
Best Vertical Jump
Most Reps on Bench Press 135

I'd hate for someone to give this kid ANY kudos
http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/pr...yDavenport
And to think that last year Hershel Walker, at age 47, was timed in the 40 at 4.38. There's a lot of "freakish" athletes in the world, but this takes the cake.
[quote=Southeast Bluegrass]Corey's ran a 4.0 and 4.3 back to back

:thatsfunn

Correction 4.40 and 4.43

I can't believe nobody ripped me on that yet. These 40 times always rile everybody up. It's always a yes he did , no he didn't debate. Who cares. If it ain't lasered it's never down to the exacts. Even lasers can be cheated. Again, who cares. :flush:
Southeast Bluegrass Wrote:[quote=Southeast Bluegrass]Corey's ran a 4.0 and 4.3 back to back

Correction 4.40 and 4.43

I can't believe nobody ripped me on that yet. These 40 times always rile everybody up. It's always a yes he did , no he didn't debate. Who cares. If it ain't lasered it's never down to the exacts. Even lasers can be cheated. Again, who cares. :flush:

I cant believe anyone has either, especially with Davenport being involved. You hear so much crap talked on both sides of the argument on a regular basis. They both ran pretty even 40 times, but each one used the speed so much differently out on the field....It amazes me how fast Davenport hits a hole when he finds one, he has an extra gear and finds it quick.

If nothing else, us bobcat fans are lucky to have had the chance to watch 2 amazing backs like Robbins and Davenport suit up for us.
Southeast Bluegrass Wrote:Corey's ran a 4.0 and 4.3 back to back and here are his freshman NUC stats.
Height
5'9
Weight
Offensive Position
RB
Defensive Position
CB
Best 40 Yard Dash
Best Shuttle Run
Best Broad Jump
9'3"
Best Vertical Jump
Most Reps on Bench Press 135

I'd hate for someone to give this kid ANY kudos
http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/pr...yDavenport

Wow, Really? I'm a HUGE Davenport fan, I've enjoyed watching him play these last 3 years, I thought he should have had more PT as a fresh. I love watching the kid play and have said time after time he's not only one of Bell's best, if not the best RB in the long line of great backs they've had. I just personally thought Robbins was faster. Davenport is much more elusive than Robbins could ever imagine being.
Andrew Risher for CAL
The fastest guy ever to play at Belfry is David Jones ran the 40 in 4.2
he is still this fast and plays for the Pikeville Drillers.
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:The fastest guy ever to play at Belfry is David Jones ran the 40 in 4.2
he is still this fast and plays for the Pikeville Drillers.

Will never in my life forget that kick return in the music city bowl :1:. Say, the other back that was on that Belfry team, Doug Howard, what ever happened to him?
BellCoFaithful Wrote:Will never in my life forget that kick return in the music city bowl :1:. Say, the other back that was on that Belfry team, Doug Howard, what ever happened to him?

Got hurt in college and now works for N&W railroad as a conductor.
Southeast Bluegrass Wrote:[quote=Southeast Bluegrass]Corey's ran a 4.0 and 4.3 back to back

Correction 4.40 and 4.43

As I was reading down threw the thread I really wanted too. :biggrin: Then I got to this post. And I agree with ya about the times.
The guy who mentioned Tyson Gay is obviously correct that he was the fastest guy to ever play high school football in KY. Heck the dude is the 2nd fastest person in the history of the human race.

Since I am a Belfry fan, I'll recount my own David Jones memory. It was against Middlesboro in 03 at their place. Middlesboro was really good. Big, fast and man they looked awesome in pads. David broke a straight dive over the tackle and got open. About 15 yards into the play he was gone but pulled up with a cramp. He ALMOST got all the way home from like 70-80 yards out but alas, on one leg he just barely got run down by one of those REALLY good Middlesboro studs.

It was something to watch.
BellCoFaithful Wrote:Will never in my life forget that kick return in the music city bowl :1:. Say, the other back that was on that Belfry team, Doug Howard, what ever happened to him?

He works on the railroad and just got married great kid and hell of a football
player.
^ Just real quick though. Another Belfry player, Matt Maynard in 05 bested that play. He chased down the Russell QB at Russell, who had broken 25 yards in the open, to save a touchdown.

Maybe the best play I have ever witnessed. Saw Matt out one night and he swears he could beat David Jones in a race. Who knows?
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:I do not know what Price had in the way of time but I can tell you that Andy Lewis had a time of 10.97 in the 100 meters by KHSAA I believe at the 09 St. Track Meet. On the FB team but? He was in the company of Henry Neal 10.15 and Tyson Gay 10.46. I would say that this makes him not to shabby on the speed side.
Yes runny under 11 seconds in the 100 meters is excellent. I think he won a State Championship. I don't think he played football. He is for sure the fastest sprinter on the track in JCHS history. I don't agree that he is in the same company as a Tyson Gay or Henry Neal. Running sub 10.5 at the 100m is a whole different animal. Thats world Class. Lots of these low 40 times we hear are not accurate. Guys like D. Green, Randy Moss, Bo Jackson, Herschal Walker even Alfonso Smith all were 4.4 or better forty yard dash guys and each and everyone could walk on a track and run a 10.7 to 10.0 in the 100m. Only guys I ever heard of that could run 4.4 or better but couldn't break 11 at 100m are high school legends. I have read on here in other post about MR. 4.3 who was only 11.2 100m guy.
honestjchsfan Wrote:Yes runny under 11 seconds in the 100 meters is excellent. I think he won a State Championship. I don't think he played football. He is for sure the fastest sprinter on the track in JCHS history. I don't agree that he is in the same company as a Tyson Gay or Henry Neal. Running sub 10.5 at the 100m is a whole different animal. Thats world Class. Lots of these low 40 times we hear are not accurate. Guys like D. Green, Randy Moss, Bo Jackson, Herschal Walker even Alfonso Smith all were 4.4 or better forty yard dash guys and each and everyone could walk on a track and run a 10.7 to 10.0 in the 100m. Only guys I ever heard of that could run 4.4 or better but couldn't break 11 at 100m are high school legends. I have read on here in other post about MR. 4.3 who was only 11.2 100m guy.

Yes he was on the football team but played very little.
I would have to think that Ben Revere of Lexington Catholic (Class of '07) would have to be considered to be one of the fastest to ever play in Kentucky. During his senior season he was the fastest player in the entire US of A in the 60 yard dash when being timed at the Major League Baseball showcases. He ended up being drafted in the first round by the Minnesota Twins and is now considered as one of (if not the) fastest players in Major League Baseball.
^ Good to see you back Bob
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ Just real quick though. Another Belfry player, Matt Maynard in 05 bested that play. He chased down the Russell QB at Russell, who had broken 25 yards in the open, to save a touchdown.

Maybe the best play I have ever witnessed. Saw Matt out one night and he swears he could beat David Jones in a race. Who knows?

That play at Russell was super impressive because not only did he catch him, he poked the ball out and created a turnover if I recall. Matt was fun to watch and highly underrated as a player. He had to wait his turn at HB due to having Jones/Howard ahead of him and only had that one season to shine as the feature back on a "re-loading year" for the Pirates.

Think about what kind of stats Maynard would put up if you plugged him onto this year's team as the feature back?
EKUAlum05 Wrote:That play at Russell was super impressive because not only did he catch him, he poked the ball out and created a turnover if I recall. Matt was fun to watch and highly underrated as a player. He had to wait his turn at HB due to having Jones/Howard ahead of him and only had that one season to shine as the feature back on a "re-loading year" for the Pirates.

Think about what kind of stats Maynard would put up if you plugged him onto this year's team as the feature back?

Not only that, but he graduated at 17 years of age. Both Jones and Howard graduated at 19.

PaytoPlay, I don't know about Matt swearing he could outrun David cause he's too humble of a guy to say he could (I've asked him too).

But I did tell him that if he raced David I'd pay $50 to the winner, just never got around to asking David about it. IMO, it would be well worth the money to see that race, especially 2-3 years ago. They don't know it yet, but their window is closing fast and they'll be slow like the rest of us sooner or later.
By the way, since we are talking about these 3 guys, there wasn't a whole lot of difference in speed between any of them.

Through 20-30 yards it probably went Howard, Jones, Maynard.

Through 40 yards it went Jones, Howard, Maynard

Through 60 yards I'd say Jones, Maynard, Howard

Through 100 yards the times say Jones, but I'm gonna say Jones/Maynard (close enough I'd pay to see it), and then Howard.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next