•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest football player in your schools history?
NothingTrivial Wrote:I think ill have to go with Shawn Robbins for us, especially out on the field.

Cory Davenport hands down. Shawn wasn't near as fast.
RoShamBo Wrote:For Somerset, the fastest I have seen in person were Brandon Newell and Tremayne Perkins. I know that we have had some burners over the years but I've only lived in Somerset since the mid 90's. James Fletcher and Pete Venable come to mind as two who might have been faster.

Pete was faster than James and I would say that Perkins was slightly faster than Newell. Tremayne was the fastest of those four IMO. As Far as John and Storm go, I think they are pretty close but It seems as if John ran a 4.4 flator slightly lower. Storm is awfully fast but John seemed to have another gear. I also think John was as shifty as Storm is..maybe a draw on shiftyness. I LOVE Storm but would have to give John the edge, and would like to see John and Tremayne side by side in their prime.
Jumper Dad Wrote:Pete was faster than James and I would say that Perkins was slightly faster than Newell. Tremayne was the fastest of those four IMO. As Far as John and Storm go, I think they are pretty close but It seems as if John ran a 4.4 flator slightly lower. Storm is awfully fast but John seemed to have another gear. I also think John was as shifty as Storm is..maybe a draw on shiftyness. I LOVE Storm but would have to give John the edge, and would like to see John and Tremayne side by side in their prime.

I agree with all of this. I would defintely give an edge to John as far as overall skill level but Storm plays so hard it makes the gap between the two seem smaller. Tremayne was defintely probably the fastest guy we've had between those guys but Newell had unbelievable field speed. He could hit top speed faster than any player I've ever seen and he was one of the more elusive players I have seen in KY. Against Bourbon Co. his SR year he had something like 5 carries 1 reception and 5 TD's, one of the best performances I've seen at the high school level. I don't think he got tackled that year until week 2.
RoShamBo Wrote:I agree with all of this. I would defintely give an edge to John as far as overall skill level but Storm plays so hard it makes the gap between the two seem smaller. Tremayne was defintely probably the fastest guy we've had between those guys but Newell had unbelievable field speed. He could hit top speed faster than any player I've ever seen and he was one of the more elusive players I have seen in KY. Against Bourbon Co. his SR year he had something like 5 carries 1 reception and 5 TD's, one of the best performances I've seen at the high school level. I don't think he got tackled that year until week 2.

I remember Pete Venable was very fast.

The Hines kid from the late 70's to '80 or so was very quick if memory serves me.

Somerset always had talented athletes.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:In 2002 Breathitt Co had a kid named Brandon Thomas ran a 4.3, In 1997 the bobcats had Jonthan Chapman ran a 4.4 and in 1994 Chris Hollon ran a low 4.5. The Thomas kid was extremly fast, he didn,t have many jukes but if got the corner no one was catching him.

In 1981, Breathitt had a totally miscast QB named Mike Watts.
Finished 4th in the state the following spring in the 100m dash.
He's still the fastest the Bobcats have had.
Thats easy Tyson Gay in 2001 at Lafayette. He was the type of person who could run a 4.3 40 without even trying. The fastest sprinter ever in the United States
I remember a Guy at Bell Co in the late 80's who was running sub 11 second 100 meters. He had dark hair, probably about 5'10" with huge thighs. He smoked me in the Regional track meet that year which was at Bell CO. I am not sure what the altitude is on Log Mountain but I ran my personal best at 100 meters (11.0) and (15.2) in the 110 high hurdles.
Eli Warren for Letcher Central!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Dragonsdad Wrote:Duncan Jacobs,Harlan High school. Back in '83 he set records in track for the long jump and the triple jump. What he could have done out of the wildcat formation would have been phenomenal. He played QB for us and also led the state for awhile in TD's untill he was passed by Mark Higgs near the end of the season,I believe. I played center that year and it was a pleasure snapping the ball to him.

Great athlete. I think he went to Murry State. Never heard anything out of him after that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
honestjchsfan Wrote:I remember a Guy at Bell Co in the late 80's who was running sub 11 second 100 meters. He had dark hair, probably about 5'10" with huge thighs. He smoked me in the Regional track meet that year which was at Bell CO. I am not sure what the altitude is on Log Mountain but I ran my personal best at 100 meters (11.0) and (15.2) in the 110 high hurdles.

Lance Burrnett
honestjchsfan Wrote:I remember a Guy at Bell Co in the late 80's who was running sub 11 second 100 meters. He had dark hair, probably about 5'10" with huge thighs. He smoked me in the Regional track meet that year which was at Bell CO. I am not sure what the altitude is on Log Mountain but I ran my personal best at 100 meters (11.0) and (15.2) in the 110 high hurdles.

Speaking of Hurdles.....the fastest player I remember at Knox Central was Mark Canady. He was state 3A runner-up in 110 hurdles in '85 & '86 (14.62). He was a beast on the field and I consider him the best all-around athlete from Knox Central. Played at EKU.

He was Jeffery Canady's uncle.
Cory Jackson from Mercer County is the fastest high school kid I have ever witnessed in my life.
Amped 88 Wrote:Cory Davenport hands down. Shawn wasn't near as fast.

You sure about that? I'll say Cory is much more elusive than Shawn, but faster? no way. Cory runs what, 4.5, 4.6? Robbins ran dang near a 4.3 40.

Height: 5-foot-9.5
Weight: 164 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.42 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.35
Bench press: 20 reps
Vertical leap: 27.6"

There's Robbins numbers from a camp in Atlanta, GA his senior year. I doubt Cory is on the verge of a 4.3, Although he is a close 2nd, or 3rd in Bell Football history. Gotta have Buckeye Hunter, and Matt Raines up there too.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:David was a flat out beast. I once saw him against P'burg either pull a hammy or cramp up & out run the defense 50 yards limping.
He did the same thing on a kick return in the Liberty Bowl while he was at UK...
Id say JI Joplin who played @ Pikeville in 92-93. If the kid got a step on anyone...HE WAS GONE!!!
I was definitely the fastest guy at Highlands.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I was definitely the fastest guy at Highlands.

Wideleft, not the fastest to the dinner table. Fastest on the field was the question. :Hungry:
Hatz Wrote:I remember Pete Venable was very fast.

The Hines kid from the late 70's to '80 or so was very quick if memory serves me.

Somerset always had talented athletes.

I saw Venable run a 9.8 (100 yard dash) at a track meet once, and it remains a vivid memory over 30 years later. Converted for metric distance, that's about a 10.6 for 100 meters.

The dude was also 6-0 and 195 pounds and looked like he was about 4 or 5 percent body fat. The only similar combinations of size/speed I've seen in Kentucky HS football is Chris Jones from Danville and Al Baker from Trigg County.
laker20 Wrote:Speaking of Hurdles.....the fastest player I remember at Knox Central was Mark Canady. He was state 3A runner-up in 110 hurdles in '85 & '86 (14.62). He was a beast on the field and I consider him the best all-around athlete from Knox Central. Played at EKU.

He was Jeffery Canady's uncle.

Was? Is Mark still around? I played against him in high school and he was a great athlete. KC and Harlan had a big rivalry back in those day's.One of my best memories was a pick-6 I got on a screen pass against them and it made it extra special that it came when he was at QB. He was also a great competitor. Back in those day's Knox Central wasn't as strong as they are now and Mark was by far the man for them. I would like to have seen how he stacked up against Jeffrey. I think Mark would have taken him in all aspects. But that's JMHO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Wideleft, not the fastest to the dinner table. Fastest on the field was the question. :Hungry:

I thought it was fastest with the ladies.
NothingTrivial Wrote:When it comes to on the field it was robbins....the fastest in a footrace may have been Steven Hunter, I always thought they could have used his speed alot more than they did.

Buckeye was very quick and oddly shaped making him hard to tackle.
I remember watching my younger brother play against him.

And BTW, Shawn Robbins was the quickest guy ive ever seen in the entire mountains, not just Bell.
He would smoke Davenport.
Gitback Coach Wrote:I saw Venable run a 9.8 (100 yard dash) at a track meet once, and it remains a vivid memory over 30 years later. Converted for metric distance, that's about a 10.6 for 100 meters.

The dude was also 6-0 and 195 pounds and looked like he was about 4 or 5 percent body fat. The only similar combinations of size/speed I've seen in Kentucky HS football is Chris Jones from Danville and Al Baker from Trigg County.

Al Baker was a State Champ in the 100 meters. I think he held one of the class records for a long time. I remember his career at UK was not as good as it was expected to be. I can't remeber if it was injury or if he just didn't fit into UK's system at the time. I do remember that he was recruited hard by many big time program. I remember reading a write-up about him and the Press had dubbed him UK's Herchel Walker.
Wideleft01 Wrote:I thought it was fastest with the ladies.

:lmao:
Darryl beatty from pcc
honestjchsfan Wrote:Al Baker was a State Champ in the 100 meters. I think he held one of the class records for a long time. I remember his career at UK was not as good as it was expected to be. I can't remeber if it was injury or if he just didn't fit into UK's system at the time. I do remember that he was recruited hard by many big time program. I remember reading a write-up about him and the Press had dubbed him UK's Herchel Walker.

I was actually standing on the fence in '85 when he won the 100......looked like a freight train rolling down the track. He won the 100 & 200 and placed 2nd in the shot putt......not your typical combination.
Backwoods Wrote:Was? Is Mark still around? I played against him in high school and he was a great athlete. KC and Harlan had a big rivalry back in those day's.One of my best memories was a pick-6 I got on a screen pass against them and it made it extra special that it came when he was at QB. He was also a great competitor. Back in those day's Knox Central wasn't as strong as they are now and Mark was by far the man for them. I would like to have seen how he stacked up against Jeffrey. I think Mark would have taken him in all aspects. But that's JMHO.

Unfortunately Mark passed away in 2001. IMO Mark was all-around better, but then again, Jeffery is still a junior.
laker20 Wrote:Unfortunately Mark passed away in 2001. IMO Mark was all-around better, but then again, Jeffery is still a junior.

The fastest Laker I recall was the Christensan kid from the '83 Lakers squad. (I think that was his name) Not many Lakers were known for speed but power out of Finley's wishbone.
For Russell I'd have to go with Josh Gross.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:In 2002 Breathitt Co had a kid named Brandon Thomas ran a 4.3, In 1997 the bobcats had Jonthan Chapman ran a 4.4 and in 1994 Chris Hollon ran a low 4.5. The Thomas kid was extremly fast, he didn,t have many jukes but if got the corner no one was catching him.

i remember brandon thomas, that was the year they went to state against corbine and blew them out lol
rustyankle Wrote:we dont have speed at the Rock we have strength lol

that was back in 01 and 02 when rock had both lol
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next