Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
34.74%
Belfry
65.26%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Breathitt Co. 11/18/11
DSRfan Wrote:I don't ever recall a time when Belfry was "forced" to throw the ball, that
they weren't in DEEP trouble. While you assessment goes in to great depth,
this game all comes down to what I said earlier, If BC can match up physically
then Belfry basically can't win this game
. If they can't, then BC's offense will
be kept on the sidelines and BC can't win.

In high school football, it is usually true that the team with the most physical advantages (size, strength, speed, athleticism) is going to win the game. Problem with this game, is those advantages are evenly divided between these two teams. Push.

After 125 years of football, it still comes down to blocking, tackling and execution. The team that does those things better will win, IMO.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:In high school football, it is usually true that the team with the most physical advantages (size, strength, speed, athleticism) is going to win the game. Problem with this game, is those advantages are evenly divided between these two teams. Push.

After 125 years of football, it still comes down to blocking, tackling and execution. The team that does those things better will win, IMO.

I won't argue with that. Either of these teams has a few to's and that will
decide it. Either team has a few costly penalties, that will decide it.
I'm just pointing out, that solid as Haywood/Belfry always are,
they are at a big disadvantage to a team like BC if the physical
part is fairly even. Great repsect for Haywood, but he might have had
another title or two if he could have expanded his repetoire.
I'll take Belfry by 6.
DSRfan Wrote:I won't argue with that. Either of these teams has a few to's and that will
decide it. Either team has a few costly penalties, that will decide it.
I'm just pointing out, that solid as Haywood/Belfry always are,
they are at a big disadvantage to a team like BC if the physical
part is fairly even. Great repsect for Haywood, but he might have had
another title or two if he could have expanded his repetoire.

I see your point and agree....if given a perfect situation where both teams also execute the same. At the small High School level that is rarely the case though. Either one team has a clear advantage from a physical standpoint, or one team has a clear advantage at the execution of their offense.

Some of the greatest High School powerhouses in the country run a very rudimentary offense such as the Wishbone or Wing-T. Reason being=KISS (Keep it Simple Silly). It allows coaches to maximize execution, maximize depth (quicker to learn, more interchangeable parts), and minimize turnovers (less risk, more repetition, more familiarity).

In the Belfry vs. Breathitt matchups of the past decade:

2000 - Breathitt County 28 Belfry 20
Belfry was more of a 70/30 mix of run to pass and ran most sets out of the I. Toss up game that came down to a controversial TD pass on Breathitt's final posession. Even physicality, even execution.

2001 - Belfry 27 Breathitt County 26
Belfry returns to their wishbone approach. I felt Breathitt was the more phsyical team, but Belfry out executed the Bobcats and capitalized on Haddix interceptions. Another even matchup.

2002 - Breathitt County 21 Belfry 0

Final score was a bit mis-leading as it was 7-0 Breathitt with about 2 minutes to go and Belfry had the ball. Two pick 6's set the final margin. Breathitt was the much more physical team and dominated the LOS, execution (thanks in part to a muddy field that helped Belfry) was even until the late INT's.

2007 - Belfry 62 Breathitt County 28

Total domination by Belfry from a physicality and execution standpoint. This Pirate OL and DL compare very favorable to that team, but Belfry doesn't have the skill players that team had. That Breathitt team had a balanced offense, but not as skilled as this years team.

2008 - Breathitt County 14 Belfry 12

Belfry had the advantage physically, but Breathitt killed them with execution. Bobcats out schemed Belfry and capitalized on Pirate fumbles and miscues including the final possession. Breathitt had the best player on the field in Fugate

Just handicapping what I am seeing I think this year's matchup is a hyrbid of the 07-08 games. This year's Pirate team is better and more skilled than the 2008 team and better up front, but not nearly as skilled as the 2007 team. This year's Breathitt team is much more physical and skilled than 2007. I still think Belfry has a considerable advantage up front, but as 2008 proved... if you don't execute it doesn't matter.

My guess is this game is in the low 20's and decided by one TD.
Anytime you have size, physical strength, you will have turnovers! Breathitt caused 5-6 fumbles against Pike Central, a lot of those inside the 10 yard line, Breathitt also on two trips inside the red zone held Pike Central inside the 5 on turnovers on downs.... Belfry has to come with their A-Game to beat this Bobcat team, they are very balanced on the ground, and have break away speed in the air. Collins may prove to be the sore spot for Belfry in this match up, he is a "STRONG" runner through the first line of defense, then has break away speed in the secondary! If Belfry does not play sound fundlemental football and allows Collins to break tackles, as Pike Central did, it will be a very long night! Don't get too focused on Collins, you also have Trent's speed outside to contend with, and if thats not enought...Trent does have a good throwing ability, and Fletcher can sprint down the sideline with the best of them...Dixon from Belfry has speed, as does Warren in the secondary, but with the balanced attack, don't be fooled down field and before you know it...Collins or Trent are running wild up the sideline!

For Belfry to win this game, you got to keep this High powered offense off the field, and limit your turnovers! Breathitt runs a formation where they put three receivers in a pod out wide, and almost everytime, they run the option to Collins on the same side as their three member pod of receivers....Against Pike Central, Trent kept the ball 70 % of the time, and used their three member pod as blocking the second line of defense If Belfry can force Breathitt into a change of offense Belfry will beat the Bobcats..

For Breathitt to win...The Bobcats can't allow Justin Johnson to get into the open! Pike Central could have had running success against the Bobcats if Chapman knew any other plays other than the long ball 3 and outs! Justin Smith have several carries over 8 yards and one he broke for 80+ yards, and Chapman abandoned the run! This Bobcat team Knew Chapmans game plan, and had a answer for almost every play! but back to what Breathitt has to do to win....Their Coach has to be able to out Coach Haywood, and that my friend will be a deciding factor...Both out coached Chapman, and took him to the wood shed, but with Holcomb and Haywood on the sidelines....You both are in for a real entertaining game! May the best team go on to give the East a good showing in BG, and the BEST of LUCK to both of your programs!
[....Their Coach has to be able to out Coach Haywood, and that my friend will be a deciding factor...Both out coached Chapman, and took him to the wood shed, but with Holcomb and Haywood on the sidelines....You both are in for a real entertaining game! May the best team go on to give the East a good showing in BG, and the BEST of LUCK to both of your programs![/QUOTE]

I'll have to take exception to that. I don't think either Haywood or Holcomb
is going to "outcoach" the other. They know each other's system, and
neither is likely to come up with something out of the box to make a
difference. This game is coming down to what most above keep pointing to,
the physical matchup up front. Belfry fans think they've got BC outgunned,
I think BC is plenty physical enough to handle them. If they are,
then Belfry's one-dimensionality won't let them win this game,
barring a bunch of to's.
I really think this has turned into a good thread with some real sound analysis and definitely some favoritism but not really rudeness and IMO that is the way these discussions should be...EKU is like no other in breaking down a game...His track record of being right is very high...Hawksrule has some real good valid points as well...Looking at this objectively I see a moderately high scoring game with both teams with at least 20 points. I agree with those who have said the little things will be the difference and I agree that pace and the one team who gets their style of play established has a real advantage. Tackling is a must for Belfry...I have watched film of their last two losses, JC and Central, and more often than not Belfry has been in position to make stops but just hitting hard or arm tackling will not get it done. Wrapping up and driving to the ground or gang tackling is imperative. I think this goes for Breathitt as well. They must gang tackle Belfry's strong runners. Another area Belfry had in the JC loss was the 5 yard penalties...For expample...Belfry 3rd and 2...no brainer most of the time Belfry will get this...They false start, now 3rd and 7...totally different play call and much harder to get...For Belfry to be their best, the sustaining of drives is key. They cannot have the five yarders all night in crucial moments and win. For both teams, keep the emotions in check...There will be a huge crowd...Emotions will run high...A big unsportsmanlike either way could help set a tone early...For Breathitt, use the home field to your advantage...Play juiced, but not out of control...Many times home teams let distractions get to them...You have to play focused, if you don't Belfry has the talent to roll you...Belfry, you have to play with your usual "road game" focus...Breathitt is known for this same road focus. Belfry seems to be able to block the distractions out and line up and play and they must do this Friday. The LOS is still the key to me...I don't think either team wants to throw a lot... Breathitt has more experience at passing and will pass more than the Pirates, but if Holcomb can line up and run it he will...Belfry would rather not throw, but do not be deceived thay can...Breathitt cannot afford to get suckered in on play action and leave Dotson or Messer wide open...Also, Breathitt, going back to the tackling, If you do stack the box...you must make tackles..One real good block by Belfry and they can go to the house...I honestly hope for a great game and may the best team win and the loser take the loss with class.

Belfry 21-20 in a classic
Not as close as most people think. I also believe breathitts defense is better than they get credit for.

breathitt- 35
belfry- 20
Is there a rehab center over there around Belfry? I hope so, maybe after the awakening that you crackheads (that think Belfry is going to win) experience Friday from the beating you take, you will acknowledge the fact that you have a problem.
I agree with bucslover68, lots of good discussion here.

One thing maybe no one mentioned is how many players play both sides of the ball? I think a few boys plays both sides @ Breathitt, but I haven't heard a clue how many @ Belfry.

If it comes down to that, in a real physical game, you could see some of the younger guys from Breathitt step in and light it up. They have several weapons that don't get mentioned a lot on here, but have stepped up and made some nice plays this season.

How many skilled players come off the bench for Belfry?
Belfry actually plays a lot of guys. Only 3 offensive starters start on defense. The o-line and d-line are made up of entirely different guys.
I think Justin Johnson will need to have a big game and break a few longer runs for the Pirates. Breathitt will stack that box like no other and make sustaining long drives difficult.

It was mentioned before, but 5 yard false starts and illegal procedure penalties will make Belfry's task very difficult offensively.

Of course all of this discussion is simply a guess, as we will just have to see how the LOS battle shakes out.
This will be game of the year for the pirates.. the previous posts from eku says all that needs to be said.. just looking forward to a great game, hoping for a belfry win..

belfry fans get ready.. lets get down to jackson and make some noise for angry red.. lets get loud and proud for our belfry pirates..

good luck to BC and the pirates..

angry red, enough said.. TongueirateSho
jdnoble18 Wrote:I agree with bucslover68, lots of good discussion here.

One thing maybe no one mentioned is how many players play both sides of the ball? I think a few boys plays both sides @ Breathitt, but I haven't heard a clue how many @ Belfry.

If it comes down to that, in a real physical game, you could see some of the younger guys from Breathitt step in and light it up. They have several weapons that don't get mentioned a lot on here, but have stepped up and made some nice plays this season.

How many skilled players come off the bench for Belfry?

Slight advantage to Belfry IMO and part of the depth I was eluding to earlier. Pirates used to play 7-8 guys both ways in the past, this year's edition I can only think of Messer (TE/DE), Robinson (HB/DB) and Dotson (SE/DT). The Pirates are legitimately 2 deep at every single position and their big,powerful OL are only the field when the Pirates offense is.

Players like Josh Dixon, Tyler Williams, and Gary Runyon could very easily start on both sides of the ball for Belfry but Haywood seems to enjoy having those guys be fresh throughout the game. You will see these guys spell others are on the opposite side of the ball, but by and large their roles are relegated to a specific position.

Belfry not only has the young players who can step in, several of the upper classmen who now play specific roles used to be starters at other positions earlier in their careers (Williams at DB, Runyon at FB, etc).

This may be the deepest Pirate team I can remember.
hulkamania Wrote:Is there a rehab center over there around Belfry? I hope so, maybe after the awakening that you crackheads (that think Belfry is going to win) experience Friday from the beating you take, you will acknowledge the fact that you have a problem.

The only thing the PIRATES will be smoking is B.C.TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
I believe if I read his mom's Facebook status right, James May is back this week. Big physical kid adding another dimension to the 8-deep defensive line and 7-deep offensive.
This should be a great game IMO. I haven't got to see Belfry yet this year except in a scrimmage but I can't pick against the Bobcats in Jackson.

Breathitt Co. 34
Belfry 28
To win this game Belfry is gonna have to open up the play book a little more. I have said all year that you have got to throw the ball a little to keep teams honest and loosen up that defense for the run a little more. Belfry has a 6 foot 4 inch tight end that has been thrown the ball 5 or 6 times all year. Utilize the short pass from time to time because everyone on Pond Creek knows the athletes are there to do it. Haywood doesn't have to sling it 30 times a game, but you can't be one dimensional either.
That is good news that James May is back in the mix for the Pirates. I am not sure how much he will contribute since he has been out for some time, but he is a quality player.

Belfry's running backs have all shined at different times this season. I just have a gut feeling that if Belfry is to win this game, Justin Johnson will have a good game. Trey Willis will be important one way or the other. He is the bread and butter for Haywood from that fullback position. If Breathitt takes him away, it might open up other options. If Breathitt tries to stand strong and play more neutral defense, Trey could have a big game, assuming of course that Breathitt doesnt simply dominate at the point of attack.

IMO, the gaurds for Belfry better have a great game.
^ I am frankly less concerned about Belfry's defense, although I know Breathitt will have some success. The critical matchup will be whether or not Belfry can move the football.
my 1st play for Belfry would be fake to trey and roll to outside and hit a more than likely wide open Dotson...
padd4pirate Wrote:The only thing the PIRATES will be smoking is B.C.TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

You smoke bc powder too? What is that like some sort of bath salt or meth ingredient.
undertaker41377 Wrote:Belfy better not take us likely cause we will have our guns Blazzing and the thunder of the mountains making thunder everytime we score /// we r going to give the people of Breathitt Co. a huge win and Blow out the Pirates and send Pond Creek Nation Back to South Williamson cring . Pond Creek be afraid u have not played at the river bank and meet all of our Bobcat Nation // this time ur in our house //

If you have ever been to Belfry, then you know thunder in the mountains is what were all about. Playing on a river bank is just our style.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Slight advantage to Belfry IMO and part of the depth I was eluding to earlier. Pirates used to play 7-8 guys both ways in the past, this year's edition I can only think of Messer (TE/DE), Robinson (HB/DB) and Dotson (SE/DT). The Pirates are legitimately 2 deep at every single position and their big,powerful OL are only the field when the Pirates offense is.

Players like Josh Dixon, Tyler Williams, and Gary Runyon could very easily start on both sides of the ball for Belfry but Haywood seems to enjoy having those guys be fresh throughout the game. You will see these guys spell others are on the opposite side of the ball, but by and large their roles are relegated to a specific position.

Belfry not only has the young players who can step in, several of the upper classmen who now play specific roles used to be starters at other positions earlier in their careers (Williams at DB, Runyon at FB, etc).

This may be the deepest Pirate team I can remember.

I remember 85 and 86 Belfry teams that was carried to the State Championship because of that luxury. It is a big advantage, even more when you have so many interchangable parts.
"You smoke bc powder too? What is that like some sort of bath salt or meth ingredient"
Nope its bobcat!!!!!!Good luck pirates!!!!There's is alot of bulleting board material a year worth for this bobcat fans..crazy to get more motivation to coach like haywood...better believe he'll have he troops firing on all cylinders!!!!!!
"You smoke bc powder too? What is that like some sort of bath salt or meth ingredient"
Nope its bobcat!!!!!!Good luck pirates!!!!There's is alot of bulleting board material a year worth from these bobcat fans..crazy to get more motivation to coach like haywood...better believe he'll have he troops firing on all cylinders!!!!!! spell check got me again.
I love it!!!!!!!!!! The trash talking, the taunting. This is mountain football at its best, with the two tradition rich programs.I don't see anyone smoke anyone in this game, and every who win this game will earn every point and i'm sure they will feel it on saturday morning. I think they are three major keys to this game.1The line of scrimage 2turnovers( every who has most turnovers will lose) 3 Special teams ( this has been the bobcats achilles heel all year, so it be interesting to see if the bobcats will kick it regular or squib kick.) I feel every who win atleast two of these phases will win the game or every who wins the turnover battle will win the game.
Bigblue#4 Wrote:3 Special teams ( this has been the bobcats achilles heel all year, so it be interesting to see if the bobcats will kick it regular or squib kick.) I feel every who win at least two of these phases will win the game or every who wins the turnover battle will win the game.

As I mentioned above, Belfry has struggled mightily in ST as well. Pirates have missed numerous XP's, made questionable decisions in fielding punts that have resulted in poor field position, had personnel issues throughout the season causing either too few or too many players to be on the field, and given up several long returns that had to be saved by Dixon's sure tackling.

As I say this, Belfry has also had some dazzling returns, had a handful of touchbacks on the kickoff, and the actual punting has been pretty consistent and solid. It just seems for every "good" play, there has been a "bad" one to offset it.

IMO, Special Teams could go either way...it also may be an X factor or it could play no role at all.
I will take Breathitt in this one home field wins it for them 22 to 21
If Belfry can run the ball effectively they win this game. I think you are going to see something similar to the Belfry/Ashland game but Breathitts defense is not as good as Ashlands.
  •  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next