Poll: Who wins ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County
34.74%
Belfry
65.26%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry @ Breathitt Co. 11/18/11
Bigblue#4 Wrote:What does it matter Belfry deserves where they are at and the bobcats deserve to be where there at. Hazard and Somerset are good teams and would beat Henry Clay easily. The bobcats are healthy and ready to play sometimes with a brutal schedule your so beat up you get knock out early in playoffs. Both these team are very even and both teams had almost the same score against Pike Central( even though I think the bobcats should of beat them alot worse, after we jump up 35 -6 at the half we just kind of put in curise control and just kind of lost some intensity).

i was just replying to a post and i dont think either would beat Henry Clay,and over the last few years,i would say Belfry sos has be better than that of Breahitts,and Belfry has gotten futher than Breahitt expect the year they went to Pond Creek and came out with the W,none of that matters come friday night ,the team with least mistakes should with this game,may it be injury free,best wishes to both ,but go Pirates..
Nothing said by anyone on here, including me, has squat to do with what will happen Friday night...Both are excellent teams and have played well against the schedule put before them. Both will be hard for the other team to stop because both teams are among the best at doing what they do very well. This may be a game where doing all the details right end up making the difference.
Hey, we held Hazard scoreless in a scrimmage, and beat Somerset last year!

Much like alot of the other things some people have brought up here, Those things don't mean crap. It's going to be a battle in Jackson between two AWESOME teams with two great coaches. I'm going to pick Belfry, as a Pirate fan, but am completely aware this team is capable of giving us a L and sending us into the 2012 offseason.
Ill take Breathitt in a close, hard fought game at home.
Breathitt 30-21
Belfry by 6
Breathitt or Belfry??? Lets see.............. Belfry has speed and depth in their backfield, and Breathitt has speed at the wide outs..... both teams used their strength against Pike Central to get wide spread wins.. Breathitt can pass on Belfry, and Belfry can run on "ANYONE"! Just as Powell showed PCC, the Belly offense is a killer for the Hawks, the Bobcats did run and pass on the Hawks at will, Belfry imposed their running on PCC...This game at Jackson gives the Bobcats an edge, if it were at Cam, it would give the Pirates the edge..so at Jackson...the Bobcats by 7 or less, on a neutral site...Belfry by 7 or less... This game will come down to who lays the biggest hits! If the Belfry linebacker team of Runyon, and Ghormely come to play, it will be a long night for the Bobcats at any site...The running that both did on PCC is not a large accomplishment for anyone, but the defense of the Pirates will have to come to play to pull this one off..Best of luck to both teams, you both have great programs, hope we can cause just a little concern for both of you next year, Good Luck the rest of the Playoffs......
It will be a game of mistakes. Whoever has fewer mistakes will win. These 2 teams are as different as any 2 high school teams in the state when in comes to style and its almost impossible to tell who will come out on top until they actually meet. There have been a lot of good games between Belfry and Breathitt over the years and this one should be no different. Lets hope for a good close, injury free, and well refereed game.
Belfry - 28

Breathitt - 20
I wanna say the Bobcats win at home, but I think Belfrys' running game will be too much.
I'm going with Belfry in this one
Belfry-28
BC-21
LOTS of blind bias in this thread........
ekualum05 Wrote:lots of blind bias in this thread........
anybody withany kind of ky football knowledge should know bc is a well coached hard nose mountain team never to be taken for granted. I have not seen one foot of film on bc, but my faith in the pirate red is great, im taking bhs by 2 scores. I also believe the winner of this game will go on to state, where they will be heavy underdogs, i hope its my pirates, but whoever comes out is who i will be pulling for in bg. So roll up your sleeves and get ready for a slug fest
madjack75 Wrote:anybody withany kind of ky football knowledge should know bc is a well coached hard nose mountain team never to be taken for granted. I have not seen one foot of film on bc, but my faith in the pirate red is great, im taking bhs by 2 scores. I also believe the winner of this game will go on to state, where they will be heavy underdogs, i hope its my pirates, but whoever comes out is who i will be pulling for in bg. So roll up your sleeves and get ready for a slug fest
i have to say its silly to compare somerset or hazzard with ashland jc or henry clay
belfry2010 Wrote:belfry had rheir way with hazzard in a week 0 srim.total domination. And the somerset team they beat ;ast year in the semi was better than this year somerset, and the pirates are a much better team this year. They are good ballclubs yes, but they aint killers. If you go by how bc did against them teams belfry wins by 3 scores
looks like i raised my daughter right
I think both teams have proven the home field advantage is not a factor. Both have won against the other as visitors. Whoever makes the least mistakes and avoids dumb penalties will win this one.
This WILL be a WAR! Which ever team stops the run and controls the LOS wins this game. Hope my Pirates will win this one! I will be cheering loud from Lexington for my boys in Red!
Belfry by 2 TD's
All this talk of the pirates wearing red reminded me of a slogan from the 95 champion team of breathitt county. "You can't get to heaven in a little red canoe, cause God's favorite color is bobcat blue."
BELFRY2010 Wrote:belfry had rheir way with hazzard in a week 0 srim.total domination. and the somerset team they beat ;ast year in the semi was better than this year somerset, and the pirates are a much better team this year. they are good ballclubs yes, but they aint killers. if you go by how bc did against them teams belfry wins by 3 scores

And if you go by both teams VS Pike Central they are pretty much dead even.
MADJACK75 Wrote:anybody withany kind of ky football knowledge should know bc is a well coached hard nose mountain team never to be taken for granted. I have not seen one foot of film on bc, but my faith in the pirate red is great, im taking bhs by 2 scores. I also believe the winner of this game will go on to state, where they will be heavy underdogs, i hope its my pirates, but whoever comes out is who i will be pulling for in bg. So roll up your sleeves and get ready for a slug fest

MADJACK75 Wrote:i have to say its silly to compare somerset or hazzard with ashland jc or henry clay

I have to say its silly to believe that this wasn't one of the worst jc teams in recent years just because they beat the mighty pirates. Not knocking jc but rebuilding is rebuilding call it what it is. Someone said they would leave the region red, well I hope you don't bleed that bad because the bobcats are not going to play nice. Enjoy your last week in the hunt.
MADJACK75 Wrote:i have to say its silly to compare somerset or hazzard with ashland jc or henry clay
I know that this is not about Hazard and Somerset. But I have watched HHS and SHS and JCC and I would guarntee that Hazard would of Beat JCC and I'm sure they would of gave Ashland all they wanted. The reason been they have a ton of skill that JCC could not keep up with and they have a darn good defense. But like I said it not about them teams about the bobcats and pirates. These two teams know each other and they know what to expect out of each other and strong schedule or weak schedule it not going to matter a whole HELL of a lot, it will be decided in the trenches and who has the least amount of turnovers. So lets quit comparing scores and teams and let this be decided on friday were its going to be decided anyways. Good luck to both teams and I hope it is hard hittin injury free ballgame.
Between Hazard, Somerset, JC, Henry Clay, and Ashland ... Ashland is by far the best team. Ashland lost three games this year, to a top 3 WV school (who if you haven't seen his HB, look him up.), Belfry, and CovCath (who only lost to Highlands by 5)

This may be a "weak" JC team, but they're probably the second best team on this list. Plus Belfry had won an emotional game the week before that set a record, and Johnson Central had lost. Trap game? I think so.
At this point who beat who doesn't mean a hill of beans. Comparing scores gets you no where, it all comes down to match-ups.

The fact of the matter is this:

Breathitt has not faced a team like Belfry in terms of their physicality, their discipline, their depth, and their shear size.

Belfry has not faced a team like Breathitt in terms of their balance, their skill, and their aggressiveness.

I think Belfry has a definite advantage at the LOS, I think Breathitt has a definite advantage in the overall skill positions (I know fellow Pirate fans will be angry with that, but I am just calling it like I see it). Breathitt's homefield advantage IMO is negated with Belfry's slight advantage in experience. Both teams are still one year away from their best ball, but Belfry's players played on a much larger level last year and have played in much higher profile games thusfar.

As you can tell, I view this as an even match-up. Here are three keys to the game for each team:

BELFRY

1. TACKLE! Breathitt has a quality passing attack, but the crux of their offensive attack revolves around their running game and their ability to force you to play run first. Trent and Collins aren't going to kill you with speed, they will kill you with their size and effort. Belfry has a very, very good run defense in terms of getting to the ball. Where they have ended up in trouble is when they miss tackles (see Johnson Central and Lou. Central last year). The Pirates have got to make the play on initial contact because both Breathitt running threats have the capability of housing it if they get through the first hit.

The zone read series that Breathitt uses has an advantage in that it spreads defenses out and creates running lanes. The drawback is that it can susceptible to losses of yardage and 3rd and Longs. You put Breathitt in 3rd and Long situations and the passing game becomes very predictable...you put them in 3rd and Short and they march up and down at will.

2. Johnson and Williams- I fully expect Breathitt to be geared to do two things: Stuff the fullback and take away the lateral offense (option pitch and sweeps). Tyler Williams is a very underrated runner and if two parts of the triple option are eliminated it leaves it on his shoulders to make the play. The other thing this opens is opportunities for the second man through the hole on Iso and Counters. Breathitt's quickness means that if plays are too slow to develop they will be able to shift and stuff them, so Justin Johnson is a huge factor. He is the quickest Belfry back and hits the hole the hardest. There will be potential for the big play, and Johnson is the man who can make it happen.

3. Dixon and Thacker- The first thing I think of with Breathitt over the years is that their defense is always undersized, but they will flat hit you. Dixon and Thacker need to do their own laying of the wood. Breathitt's receivers aren't the most physical breed and their passing game is almost exclusively a mix of the deep ball on go routes and crossing routes. If Thacker and Dixon can become a physical presence across the middle on those crossing patterns you could see some alligator arms develop.

BREATHITT

1. DICTATE THE PACE- If this is a low scoring, close game where Belfry has 13 play drives then the Bobcats are in trouble. Depth, specifically on the LOS is by far Belfry's biggest strength and possibly the biggest advantage either team has in the game. Breathitt needs this game at their pace. They need some 3 and Out's... they need scoring drives of about 6-7 plays where Belfry is on their heels, and they need Belfry to stop the clock by having to throw the ball.

2. WIN THE SPECIAL TEAMS BATTLE- I have read all year how Breathitt's special teams are a point of concern, Belfry's may be even worse. Belfry has consistently missed XP's, made poor decisions in fielding punts,and given up long returns that were only saved by Josh Dixon's sure tackling. Field position will be huge and a missed XP may be the difference in the game. If Breathitt can consistently force Belfry to drive 80 yards while the Bobcats only have to drive 60, it could potentially be enough to help them to victory.

3. BE PATIENT- Belfry will give up yards to Breathitt and the matchup's the Bobcats create should put them in position to be able to move it fairly consistently. The key here is to take what Belfry gives and not get greedy. Turnovers are important in every game, but against Belfry turnovers are fatal. The deep ball is a low percentage/high risk play. The very last thing Breathitt can afford to do is have quick change posessions where their defense has to come back on the field to face the Belfry grind with limited rest.

Breathitt needs to hit the short stuff and move the chains and have very calculated shots down the field only when they know it will be 1 on 1 with no safety. When running Breathitt needs to get North and South. Reversing field or stringing runs out could doom them with Belfry's pursuit and discipline.
Excellent assesment IMO. I have no problem with it. I do believe if Belfry can control los they might throw a few wrinkles in. Belfry's pass game is go deep or not at all. I look for that to change up some. I could be wrong...lol. Breathitt is very skilled and disapplined team and a few wrinkles like play action with short routes could hurt them. They will stack the box to stop the run.

then you're not paying attention this season . Those 4 teams have "names"
but aren't any better than Somerset or Hazard THIS year. You folks
are GREATLY overvaluing Belfry's schedule this season. And in case
you missed it, Belfry LOST to JC at home.
I don't ever recall a time when Belfry was "forced" to throw the ball, that
they weren't in DEEP trouble. While you assessment goes in to great depth,
this game all comes down to what I said earlier, If BC can match up physically
then Belfry basically can't win this game. If they can't, then BC's offense will
be kept on the sidelines and BC can't win.
cuppett777 Wrote:those two probally wouldnt have beaten Henry Clay,lol

Uh , YEAH they probably would have . HC is NOT good this season. And
they certainly would have been comeptitive with them.
Crossbones Wrote:Excellent assesment IMO. I have no problem with it. I do believe if Belfry can control los they might throw a few wrinkles in. Belfry's pass game is go deep or not at all. I look for that to change up some. I could be wrong...lol. Breathitt is very skilled and disapplined team and a few wrinkles like play action with short routes could hurt them. They will stack the box to stop the run.

Only 2 problems with that theory. 1. you have to be willing to call those plays.
2. You have to connect on them.

The low likelihood of Haywood doing that, is surpassed by the low likelihood they are successful at it.
BelfryPride Wrote:This WILL be a WAR! Which ever team stops the run and controls the LOS wins this game. Hope my Pirates will win this one! I will be cheering loud from Lexington for my boys in Red!

pretty good analysis. But Belfry cold stop Breathitt's running game and still lose. If BC doesn't handle Belfry's rg, they will lose.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next