Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0-10 or 1-9 for 4 years
A coach deserves 4 years to install his system, his philosophies, and establish them. If a program was an 0-10 or 1-9 level before he came, a 5-5 season would be a tremendous improvement, but remaining at the 0-10 or 1-9 level is no improvement. If after 4 years a coach is 0-10 or 1-9 every year, it's time for a change. Too many programs settle for 0-10 or 1-9. If after 4 years the level you are at is 0-10 or a consistant 1-9, the admin. must do the right thing for the kids who work so hard to have a chance to win. If after 4 years the coach is a consistant 1-9 guy or worse, obviously it's not going to get any better. Why cheat the kids? you might be able to get a guy in there that can actually make a difference. If you keep brining back that 1-9 guy, that's all you will ever be, 1-9. He's 1-9 every year for a reason. Coaching is a business, get the job done or look for another job. It's not about "He's a good ole' boy" , it's about giving the kids a chance to win. If the coach is a consistant 1-9 year in and out guy, mabey he needs to look in the mirror and say "This just aint for me."
I completely agree with you!! When I played high school football, I was in that situation. The year before I played, we went 0-10 and my first year we went 1-9. Then the school administration decided to bring the old coach back from the glory days and the next year which would have been my junior season, we went 8-3!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
leecoukfan Wrote:I completely agree with you!! When I played high school football, I was in that situation. The year before I played, we went 0-10 and my first year we went 1-9. Then the school administration decided to bring the old coach back from the glory days and the next year which would have been my junior season, we went 8-3!!

Exactly what I am talking about. Too much settling for 0-10 or 1-9. My point is if it's 0-10 or 1-9 for 4 years, that's what it will be for 4 more years with the same coach. If the admin. doesn't make a change, then seriously consider shutting down the program if that's the mentality. The above post was a great example, 0-10, 1-9, brought in a new coach and went 8-3. If the program is an 0-10 or 1-9 level for 4 years under the same coach, If you don't make a change, your taking away a chance for the kids on the team to ever possibly be winners. Yes, they all want to win. They do summer ball in the heat, weight program in the winter, they do this to be winners. They will never have a chance with the guy who goes 0-10 or 1-9 every year. A change can't hurt if that's the situation, it definately will not get any worse.
Be fair, all coaches deserve 4 years. You never know, year 4 could be the breakout season. After 4 years if no improvement, there will never be an improvement.