Poll: Who walks out of Putnam Stadium with the victory?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CovCath Colonels
50.00%
Ashland Tomcats
50.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covington Catholic Colonels at Ashland Paul Blazer Tomcats
Thoughts, predictions
If Cov Cath doesn't play any better than they did against Rowan County the Kittens will be moving on.
This is all anyone in maroon was talking about at the Harrison game. One thing missing from this tomcat season is some putnam stadium magic.

With it being playoffs and the #2 team in the state coming to our house I Say

Ashland 24

Cov cath 22
This is all anyone in maroon was talking about at the Harrison game. One thing missing from this tomcat season is some putnam stadium magic.

Ashland 24

Cov cath 22
Cov cath 28
Ashland 9

Beating Harrison by 50 is meaningless. I think they could win this one, but they wont.
Cov Cath"s Gabe Grey will use his experienced senior Oline and tear them apart.
How much did Cov Cath miss the starting O line man that is out for the year after the season ending injury. Did it take some time in first half for the new line to jell?
birdman44 Wrote:Cov cath 28
Ashland 9

Beating Harrison by 50 is meaningless. I think they could win this one, but they wont.
Cov Cath"s Gabe Grey will use his experienced senior Oline and tear them apart.
If the Colonels struggled against Rowan County's defense early, they are very likely to have trouble scoring on Ashland. Bir will need to have a big day passing for Covington Catholic to beat Ashland on the road. Ashland has already faced and contained much better rushing attacks in Johnson Central and Belfry than the one that they will be facing next week.
FBALL Wrote:If Cov Cath doesn't play any better than they did against Rowan County the Kittens will be moving on.

Didn't they win by like 4 touchdowns? Would it have made it a solid victory if it was 70-7 or 77-7? I remember win a 4 td victory was a pretty good thumpin.
Go Tomcats Show them they are not up to hype!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If the Colonels struggled against Rowan County's defense early, they are very likely to have trouble scoring on Ashland. Bir will need to have a big day passing for Covington Catholic to beat Ashland on the road. Ashland has already faced and contained much better rushing attacks in Johnson Central and Belfry than the one that they will be facing next week.

CovCath has a very good rushing attack and Ashland has not gone up against ANYONE, including Mr. Wing, with a passing game like the Colonels. Key on one back or receiver and they will pick you apart.
Blau Vogel Wrote:CovCath has a very good rushing attack and Ashland has not gone up against ANYONE, including Mr. Wing, with a passing game like the Colonels. Key on one back or receiver and they will pick you apart.
If the Colonels have a very good rushing game, then they should have employed it against Rowan County in the first half. Both Ashland and Johnson Central put away RC early in the first half. I have been telling people all year that Ashland is much better than the credit most folks in NKY are giving them and the quality of their competition has also been much better than you seem to believe.

I know that Covington Catholic has improved since last season but if they mount the same kind of effort in Ashland next week in the first half as they did against Rowan County, they may find themselves too far behind to come back against the Tomcats.
Hoot, I know your giddy over Rowan County's first half defense. Did you ever think maybe Covcath kept it vanilla? It's not as if they were going to lose the game. Maybe that's why it should be Ex Coach Hoot Gibson. Reading a little too much into it. I would like nothing more than for Ashland to beat Covcath. Beat them bad. I just think Ashland historically is way too s l l o o o o o o oo wwwwwwwwwww!
Hoot Gibson Wrote:If the Colonels struggled against Rowan County's defense early, they are very likely to have trouble scoring on Ashland. Bir will need to have a big day passing for Covington Catholic to beat Ashland on the road. Ashland has already faced and contained much better rushing attacks in Johnson Central and Belfry than the one that they will be facing next week.

yea but they didnt win both of them..
Cov Cath should win by a couple tds,but i hope they dont..
Wideleft01 Wrote:Hoot, I know your giddy over Rowan County's first half defense. Did you ever think maybe Covcath kept it vanilla? It's not as if they were going to lose the game. Maybe that's why it should be Ex Coach Hoot Gibson. Reading a little too much into it. I would like nothing more than for Ashland to beat Covcath. Beat them bad. I just think Ashland historically is way to s l l o o o o o o oo wwwwwwwwwww!

From what I've seen team speed is about even the difference in this years Ashland team is the commitment to physical football On offense and defense. Which cov cath historically struggles with( see recent games vs Johnson Central for evidence)
Good Luck to Ashland.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Hoot, I know your giddy over Rowan County's first half defense. Did you ever think maybe Covcath kept it vanilla? It's not as if they were going to lose the game. Maybe that's why it should be Ex Coach Hoot Gibson. Reading a little too much into it. I would like nothing more than for Ashland to beat Covcath. Beat them bad. I just think Ashland historically is way too s l l o o o o o o oo wwwwwwwwwww!

Yeah well slow is not a problem for Ashland! Speed all over the field, gonna be a great game an I think it's gonna be the tomcats coming out on top.
bulldog149 Wrote:Good Luck to Ashland.

Ashland is a one seed, CovCath is a two
toolaidback Wrote:Didn't they win by like 4 touchdowns? Would it have made it a solid victory if it was 70-7 or 77-7? I remember win a 4 td victory was a pretty good thumpin.

I didn't see it in person and I don't care if they score 70 or 30. Just sounded like they really struggled with Rowan for a half. May have just been a bad half of football. It happens.

Adhland is good. I don't think they are as good as Cov Cath. I do think it will be a lower scoring game than most think.
I hope you all don't think that those of us that are Highlands fans are pulling for CovCath. You need to understand we Bluebirds have two favorite teams...Highlands and whoever is playing against the Colonels.

If anyone believes this CovCath team in anyway resembles their teams of the last few years, you are in for a big surprise.
Thanks. The seeding on sticky thread at top here in 2011 playoffs does show that.
Look at KHSAA. Maybe they have their information wrong and need to change it. Under both Ashland and Covington Catholic's schedules they show the game to be at Covington Catholic. I then looked at 4A Tournament Bracket and it too is showing the game at Covington Catholic. Both teams are 9-2.
Wideleft01 Wrote:Hoot, I know your giddy over Rowan County's first half defense. Did you ever think maybe Covcath kept it vanilla? It's not as if they were going to lose the game. Maybe that's why it should be Ex Coach Hoot Gibson. Reading a little too much into it. I would like nothing more than for Ashland to beat Covcath. Beat them bad. I just think Ashland historically is way too s l l o o o o o o oo wwwwwwwwwww!
It sounds like somebody is feeling a bit foolish for running their mouth all season long. Do you think that Johnson Central or Ashland went deep into their playbook to put away the Vikings early? I believe that you are one of the loudest critics of Johnson Central's one-dimensional offense, yet that offense was far more explosive against Rowan County than Covington Catholic's was.

Thanks to its second half offensive surge, the Colonels did manage to score the 7th most points (tied with Montgomery County) against Rowan County's defense this season.

Furthermore, both Ashland and Johnson Central's defenses were at least equally effective against Rowan County as CovCath's was. Because of its anemic first half offense, CovCath was deadlocked 7-7 with the Vikings at halftime. A plain vanilla game plan does not begin to explain what was supposed to be the second best 4A team in the state struggling with a team that entered the playoffs giving up an average of 34.5 points a game against a fairly weak schedule.

Hats off to Rowan County's defense which stepped up in the past two weeks to play very well but you have been telling us how Covington Catholic's explosive offense plays on a different level than any team in eastern Kentucky all season long. Obviously, you have been very mistaken.

I have great respect for the fans, players, and coaches of Covington Catholic, who have always been gracious winners and losers in their games with Johnson Central. I will not be surprised if they beat Ashland by two or three touchdowns next week but I will also not be shocked if the Tomcats leave Putnam with a win.

I am not sure that you can look any more more foolish, but an Ashland win will not help your credibility. (Actually, I am sure - you can't.) I bet that Covington Catholic supporters are wishing that you would stick with "supporting" Highlands with your big talk. :biggrin:
cuppett777 Wrote:yea but they didnt win both of them..
That's true but Belfry would have run through the Vikings defense just like Ashland and Johnson Central did. My point is that the second best offensive team in 4A should have been better prepared offensively for Rowan County than the Colonels were. If they were well prepared, then they are not the second best offensive team in 4A - not even close.
Ashland will pull through with the victory. Cov Caths qb is not very good and when Ashland bottles up the run game, Cov Cath will be in trouble.

Ashland 14
Cov Cath 10
Ashland wins 22-21
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:This is all anyone in maroon was talking about at the Harrison game. One thing missing from this tomcat season is some putnam stadium magic.

Ashland 24

Cov cath 22

I don't care if this game is played on the moon.... Cov Cath wins by 17
Ashland by 7
knighted Wrote:I don't care if this game is played on the moon.... Cov Cath wins by 17

Believe me putnam stadium makes a difference not to many high school stadiums seat 4,000 plus with the fans right on top of you. A lot of strange things have happened in this old palace.
what is the history between covcath and ashland?
Cov Catholic in a blow out