9:00 am - Letcher County Central/North Oldham vs. Allen Central/Corbin

10:15 am - Lone Oak/Greenwood vs. Central Hardin/Ashland Blazer

11:30 am - Henry Clay/Mercy vs. Owensboro Catholic/Assumption

12:45 pm - Newport Central Catholic/Caldwell County vs. Southwestern/Notre Dame

2:00 pm - Semi-Finals #1

3:15 pm - Semi-Finals #2

7:30 pm - CHAMPIONSHIP
Go Lady Warriors!
Also, Notre Dame beat St. Henry tonight 2 sets to 1 this evening. The Lady Warriors will play Notre Dame in the first round of the state tournament.
Southwestern is a machine. I do not know how far they have traveled in the past through the State Tournament, but they have dominated the 12th Region!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LWC Wrote:Southwestern is a machine. I do not know how far they have traveled in the past through the State Tournament, but they have dominated the 12th Region!

The past two seasons they have made it to the Elite 8, but this year's opening game will be a bit tougher though.
^True.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Southwestern is a good team but will not get by Notre Dame.

Bottom bracket is loaded.
Southwestern may be a machine in their region, but Notre Dame will destroy Southwestern. I've seen ND several times this season and they are loaded.
The brackets this year are absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to the tourney, make sure you're there by 11:30 Saturday to see what will turn out to be the real championship game--Assumption/Mercy or Assumption/Mercy against Notre Dame after that game.
They really need to seed the brackets. The three highest ranked teams in the state should not be meeting before the semis or finals.
I'm from the 15th region, and wish Allen Central well, but I am going to have to be rooting for the Corbin Redhounds. Good luck to those girls.
Understand your point.. but seeding will never happen.
After you get to the state tournament level, seeding is out of the question. Thats the breaks of the draw. Imagine trying to seed the boys and girls basketball tournament every year to please a few. Seeding from 1-8 wouldn't be as bad as trying to seed 8-16. Thats where it gets iffy. Some districts uses newspapers ratings to seed in basketball but I think that is the dumbest thing in the history of sports. Seeding should only be used if the teams have played in regular season heads up games.
Yeah, I totally agree guys. Southwestern, as much as I hate to say it, will get beat their first game - and it won't be close. Notre Dame is on a totally different level than Southwestern is.
UKisN1 Wrote:Understand your point.. but seeding will never happen.

I know it won't happen, but it still frustrates me. Not just the seeding, but the fact that a lot of the top teams don't even get in the tournament.

I just hate the fact that someone like North Oldham, who I have seen play and have not been really impressed with, will most likely get to hoist a state runner up banner, when everyone knows they are nowhere close to being the #2 team in the state.

Maybe one day, someone smarter than me will come up with a solution.
KyVolleyballFan Wrote:I know it won't happen, but it still frustrates me. Not just the seeding, but the fact that a lot of the top teams don't even get in the tournament.

I just hate the fact that someone like North Oldham, who I have seen play and have not been really impressed with, will most likely get to hoist a state runner up banner, when everyone knows they are nowhere close to being the #2 team in the state.

That's why they play the games. It is presumptious to assume they will even make it as far as the title game. Allen Central, for example, is a good group of young girls out of the 15th that can get on a roll. That's part of the excitement of the state tourney. Same as basketball, seeding would ruin it. A true state champ takes on whatever competition is in front of them THAT DAY, and subsequent days. Letcher Central, North Oldham's opponent, is, I think, a 10 time 14th region champ? Something like that. Anyway, one could argue they are due to win some games at state, who knows?
KyVolleyballFan Wrote:I know it won't happen, but it still frustrates me. Not just the seeding, but the fact that a lot of the top teams don't even get in the tournament.

I couldn't agree more! We're rewarding a team for a lucky draw. Seeding may not be perfect but it has to be better than this. Lesser of 2 evils. The fact that both Louisville schools and both NKY schools have to play each other in the 2nd round is terrible.

If you're used to dominating Region 2, or 15, or wherever you are from, you are in for a huge suprise. NCC, Mercy, NDA, and Assumption play on a completely different level than the rest of the state and will blow out everyone else. Assumption is ranked in the top 5 nationally and I expect them to win it all, destroying whoever they face from the top bracket. The best games will be the bottom bracket semi's.
mrknowitball Wrote:I couldn't agree more! We're rewarding a team for a lucky draw. Seeding may not be perfect but it has to be better than this. Lesser of 2 evils. The fact that both Louisville schools and both NKY schools have to play each other in the 2nd round is terrible.

If you're used to dominating Region 2, or 15, or wherever you are from, you are in for a huge suprise. NCC, Mercy, NDA, and Assumption play on a completely different level than the rest of the state and will blow out everyone else. Assumption is ranked in the top 5 nationally and I expect them to win it all, destroying whoever they face from the top bracket. The best games will be the bottom bracket semi's.

I agree. The Catholic schools in the state are on a whole other level when it comes to volleyball.
blue1424 Wrote:I agree. The Catholic schools in the state are on a whole other level when it comes to volleyball.
No offense, but there are two reasons for the Catholic schools in Central and Northern Kentucky dominating: Tradition (everyone wants to play for a winner), and recruiting. It's a simple fact that they can select who attends their schools if they so wish. I'm NOT taking anything away from the amazing accoplishments of these young ladies. They work hard and EARN every win they get, but they also have a more elite talent pool to select from.

So I don't really think it is a bad thing that sometimes two of the better schools have to face each other early in the tourney. What it does is gives others a chance to advance and just maybe pull off a monumental upset. I mean, that's why they play the games! If we went by paper rankings only, every year it would be one or two of the same teams over and over and over, where is the surprise? The suspense? Would you then say, if someone advanced through a "less loaded" bracket and then proceeded to knock off Assumption or Mercy or whomever that it was "luck"? No, it is being prepared and playing THAT DAY. A true champ takes on all comers, no matter what their pedigree, if they advance far enough. Just my opinion.
PHSForever Wrote:No offense, but there are two reasons for the Catholic schools in Central and Northern Kentucky dominating: Tradition (everyone wants to play for a winner), and recruiting. It's a simple fact that they can select who attends their schools if they so wish.

If you know of recruiting violations, you should call the KHSAA. Otherwise, that's a pretty baseless claim. Are you saying they would admit a girl who normally wouldn't get in because she is good in volleyball - and conversely, keep out girls who are not good in volleyball? That sounds pretty far fetched.

There's a simple way for any school to get better in volleyball - play more! ie, club volleyball.
mrknowitball Wrote:If you know of recruiting violations, you should call the KHSAA. Otherwise, that's a pretty baseless claim. Are you saying they would admit a girl who normally wouldn't get in because she is good in volleyball - and conversely, keep out girls who are not good in volleyball? That sounds pretty far fetched.

There's a simple way for any school to get better in volleyball - play more! ie, club volleyball.

Happens every day. Private schools can choose to admit whom they want and not admit whom they want. I'm not saying there are recruiting violations, I'm saying they have a few more advantages in terms of who they allow into school and who they do not. It is a pretty acknowledged fact in all sports. I'm HOPING they would not turn someone away just because they don't play volleyball, and I don't think it is standard practice. But I'm also smart enough to know that if someone in, for example, Jefferson County, is an outstanding volleyball player and perhaps plays for a losing program and they want to play for a winner, that it is NOT out of the realm of possibility that they would somehow find that their tuition money appears in the form of a "scholarship" to attend a prestigious school that just so happens to have an outstanding volleyball program if they expressed a desire to attend there.
Good Luck Lady Rebels!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
mrknowitball Wrote:I couldn't agree more! We're rewarding a team for a lucky draw. Seeding may not be perfect but it has to be better than this. Lesser of 2 evils. The fact that both Louisville schools and both NKY schools have to play each other in the 2nd round is terrible.

There is also another solution to the problem. Have separate state tournaments for public and private schools. I would be against this and I would also be against seeding. I have watched the best teams in the state of Kentucky play for the past three years and you are right, the teams you listed above, along with Sacred Heart, are head and shoulders above every one else. There are two common factors that these schools share. They are private catholic schools and they are located in metropolitan areas with close to a million people. To think that they only take Catholic kids who come up through private catholic elementary or parochial schools is naive. I have been told that the diocese in Northern Kentucky has tighter rules about recruiting or persuading players at the elementary level to come to their school. I was told by a coach at a well known private school in Louisville that any kid in the Louisville was open game. That they are allowed to recruit any kid at the elementary or middle school level as they do not have feeder schools. The Catholic schools built a tradition in the early stages of volleyball and with free access in a large metro area they are able to sustain that success. Club volleyball is fine and dandy when you have 500,000 people in a thirty to fifty mile radius compared to an area that may have 20,000 to 30,000 in a 100 mile radius. Assumption, Sacred Heart, and Mercy have more girls enrolled in their schools then most public schools have students. So IMO, quit whining about the seeding. I believe this is the first year in a while that a draw like this has happened. To be the best you have to beat the best no matter what round it is.
What about having Sectionals in the tournament? Once you win region, you play a region beside of you to determine whether you go to state. That will help schools get more money if they host. Make it odd and even. Have eight sectionals and draw for state tournament base on that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
KHSAA is not going to do that because they use the state tournaments as moneymakers to support their organization. It would also take away the luster of playing in the state tournament as less teams would be involved. Baseball went from sectionals to a sixteen team tourney and if soccer continues to get more popular, I look for the same thing to happen with that sport.
cougarpride08 Wrote:What about having Sectionals in the tournament? Once you win region, you play a region beside of you to determine whether you go to state. That will help schools get more money if they host. Make it odd and even. Have eight sectionals and draw for state tournament base on that.
This is a quick and easy fix to satisfy just a few. Most fans enjoy the thrill of watching a potential upset unfold, etc that comes from the 16 team tourneys. I wish all sports were the 16 team tourney variety, and hope the ones that currently are STAY that way. If it is about money for the hosting regional schools, I don't see that as a big problem, honestly. For the most part, it seems that the regionals tend to do fairly well. The financials for each region are posted on KHSAA afterwards, so you can see which regions did the best financially, etc, and they have the number of tickets sold, prices they charged, etc listed as well on the forms. A little careful analysis region by region would show those who underperform where they may have an opportunity to increase the draw financially.
I like it the volleyball state tournament the way it is. I love the Sweet 16 type format. And as OrangeNowBlue said, baseball recently went to the Sweet 16 format and it has created a much bigger and better atmosphere for high school athletics.

Nothing to add after Mercy didn't get as far as you thought? And it wasn't Assumption, Notre Dame, etc. that even knocked them off. So much for your seeding theory. Leave it as it is, a draw of 16 regional champions, and let them play the games. North Oldham sure didn't get to hoist a state runner up banner either.
PHSForever Wrote:North Oldham sure didn't get to hoist a state runner up banner either.

No, Greenwood did, but same difference. Don't confuse State-Runner Up with 2nd best team in the state. Notre Dame, Newport Catholic both would have beaten Greenwood the way Assumption did. Do you know how many good teams there are in Region 9 that didn't make it to state that would have trounced most of the other Regional winners? Mercy got upset, but that was the only misfire.

Only 6 schools have EVER been crowned champions in the 33 year old state tourney - and they are all in Regions 6,7, and 9. Those regions are full of good teams who don't get a shot. Quit running the tournament on blind draws and geography and let the talented teams in.
How do you do that? It is called a state tourney. Win your region and be in. Same as basketball.
mrknowitball Wrote:No, Greenwood did, but same difference. Don't confuse State-Runner Up with 2nd best team in the state. Notre Dame, Newport Catholic both would have beaten Greenwood the way Assumption did. Do you know how many good teams there are in Region 9 that didn't make it to state that would have trounced most of the other Regional winners? Mercy got upset, but that was the only misfire.

Only 6 schools have EVER been crowned champions in the 33 year old state tourney - and they are all in Regions 6,7, and 9. Those regions are full of good teams who don't get a shot. Quit running the tournament on blind draws and geography and let the talented teams in.

Notre Dame and Newport Catholic probably would have beaten Greenwood but nothing like Assumption. I hate to bust your Northern Kentucky Catholic bubble but you are not in the same league as Assumption. They are the premier volleyball program in the nation. Talking about blind draws, are we going to change the basketball, baseball, and softball tournaments also. I do not hear all the public schools in basketball from the 6 and 7 region whining when there are several teams from that area that could win the state every year. A draw like this year has not happened very often so what is the big deal. Most of the time, the two best teams are playing in the finals. Are the private schools so spoiled that they have to have their way on everything. When it got heated a few years ago concerning dividing into public/private and making tighter rules concerning recruiting, they ran whining and crying to their local politicians who, in turn, bullied and blackmailed the KHSAA into leaving everything as is.
mrknowitball Wrote:No, Greenwood did, but same difference. Don't confuse State-Runner Up with 2nd best team in the state. Notre Dame, Newport Catholic both would have beaten Greenwood the way Assumption did. Do you know how many good teams there are in Region 9 that didn't make it to state that would have trounced most of the other Regional winners? Mercy got upset, but that was the only misfire.

Runner up at the state tournament is 2nd best in the state. Spin it any way you want to, but this year, Greenwood is #2. Could those other schools have beaten them as bad? Probably. But we'll never know because they didn't beat the true state champ. End of story. I mean, you had North Oldham penciled in for the runner up spot, did you not think Greenwood could beat them? They did. Shows exactly what I meant by let them play the games. 16 regional winners battling for the title is the best show in Kentucky every year in any sport. In 1980, was America the #1 hockey team in the world? Not on paper, but win it they did at the Olympics