Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates Sports Academy
Founded and operated by former Major Leaguer, Doug Bates, BSA is a facility to help kids sharpen their skills in the game of baseball. Whether its hitting, pitching, strength, or agility, its the place to come.

Doug is a personable man who does it quote "For the love of the game"
He is in his 12th season as the pitching coach for University of Virginia-Wise and Head Coach of his BSA-Elite summer/fall traveling team for teenagers.

Attending JJ Kelly High School in Virginia from 1980-83, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a pitcher. Simply because:

-He had a career record of 38-1
-515 strikeouts
-ERA of 0.50
-Threw 6 no-hitters
-Struck out all 21 batters in a game. You have a better chance of finding gold in your backyard.

Doug was drafted out of high school to the pros and played 6 years for the Atlanta Braves and 2 years for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was a lefty who could burn some gas. By the end of his career, he sat down the glove with a total of 13 rings.

So if you, friends, or your kids at any age are interested in training at Bates Sports Academy, you can reach Doug at (276) 393-8432. His facility is located on South Mayo Trail here in Pikeville beside Craig Damron furniture and across Thacker Cemetery in a long yellow building. He's here on Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays regularly; until the season starts of course. He will work with your schedule and loves starting kids out at a young age to develop them into smashmouth players. I myself have trained there for quite some time and have gotten a lot better. I will confidently say its something you wont regret.

The rate is $85 a month, which is over half the price of any other facility you would use.

If you have any further questions just give him a call or PM me!
^ $85 per month??? What do you get? That's dirt cheap!
Stardust Wrote:^ $85 per month??? What do you get? That's dirt cheap!

Works on hitting and your swing, pitching and technique, fielding, arm strength, and weight/speed training.
^ For $85 a month, that is incredible. Is there a maximum number of hours you get for 1:1 instruction?
My son played summer ball for Doug this past summer. He is a great teacher, well worth the money.
So this is located in Pikeville? It's about time the city of Pikeville get something like this for the kids in that town? This will help to make that region a little better, if the kids take advantage of what a huge opportunity it is for them?
Stardust Wrote:^ For $85 a month, that is incredible. Is there a maximum number of hours you get for 1:1 instruction?

Depending on how backed up he is. Ive stayed for a while sometimes. Pretty much how ever long it takes you to go through your routine. He's an easy going guy who takes things as they come at him.

Jackrabbit, Yes it is in Pikeville.
I agree, very good for the community and kids who actually want to work in the off season.
If...Then Wrote:Founded and operated by former Major Leaguer, Doug Bates, BSA is a facility to help kids sharpen their skills in the game of baseball. Whether its hitting, pitching, strength, or agility, its the place to come.

Doug is a personable man who does it quote "For the love of the game"
He is in his 12th season as the pitching coach for University of Virginia-Wise and Head Coach of his BSA-Elite summer/fall traveling team for teenagers.

Attending JJ Kelly High School in Virginia from 1980-83, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame as a pitcher. Simply because:

-He had a career record of 38-1
-515 strikeouts
-ERA of 0.50
-Threw 6 no-hitters
-Struck out all 21 batters in a game. You have a better chance of finding gold in your backyard.

Doug was drafted out of high school to the pros and played 6 years for the Atlanta Braves and 2 years for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was a lefty who could burn some gas. By the end of his career, he sat down the glove with a total of 13 rings.So if you, friends, or your kids at any age are interested in training at Bates Sports Academy, you can reach Doug at (276) 393-8432. His facility is located on South Mayo Trail here in Pikeville beside Craig Damron furniture and across Thacker Cemetery in a long yellow building. He's here on Sundays, Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays regularly; until the season starts of course. He will work with your schedule and loves starting kids out at a young age to develop them into smashmouth players. I myself have trained there for quite some time and have gotten a lot better. I will confidently say its something you wont regret.

The rate is $85 a month, which is over half the price of any other facility you would use.

If you have any further questions just give him a call or PM me!

I think this is great for the Pikeville area to have some sort off season instruction. However , I would like to ask you where you came up with the biography concerning his professional career. According to the data I found, he played 4 seasons in the minor leagues (2 seasons in the Rookie League in the Braves organization and 2 seasons in Single A, in the Cardinals organization). He finished with a career record of 8-13 with a career ERA of 4.81.

Here is the link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors...tes-002jam

According to this information he never played in the Major Leagues and only made it as far a Single A.
Bob Seger Wrote:I think this is great for the Pikeville area to have some sort off season instruction. However , I would like to ask you where you came up with the biography concerning his professional career. According to the data I found, he played 4 seasons in the minor leagues (2 seasons in the Rookie League in the Braves organization and 2 seasons in Single A, in the Cardinals organization). He finished with a career record of 8-13 with a career ERA of 4.81.

Here is the link:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors...tes-002jam

According to this information he never played in the Major Leagues and only made it as far a Single A.

As far as i know he never made it up to the majors? However, I think all that is beside the point. It's a great thing for the kids and that's all that needs to be discussed? There is no reason to turn this into a pissing contest. I don't think anyone should portray themselves as something their not, and that is one thing, but if somebody else made that mistake, it certainly isn't his fault?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:As far as i know he never made it up to the majors? However, I think all that is beside the point. It's a great thing for the kids and that's all that needs to be discussed? There is no reason to turn this into a pissing contest. I don't think anyone should portray themselves as something their not, and that is one thing, but if somebody else made that mistake, it certainly isn't his fault?

Just because someone DIDN'T play in the majors doesn't mean they CAN'T teach it, and just because someone DID play in the majors doesn't mean they CAN teach it.

Good greif JRS, what is your problem here this morning?????? I wasn't trying to stir anything up. DID I NOT SAY I THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT THING FOR THE PIKEVILLE COMMUNITY? I have always taken mine to off season training facilities. This is a GOOD THING!!!!

I was just asking a question!!! Nice job in trying to get it controversial first thing here in the morning though.:eyeroll:
Bob Seger Wrote:[B]Just because someone DIDN'T play in the majors doesn't mean they CAN'T teach it, and just because someone DID play in the majors doesn't mean they CAN teach it.[/B]

Good greif JRS, what is your problem here this morning?????? I wasn't trying to stir anything up. DID I NOT SAY I THOUGHT IT WAS A GREAT THING FOR THE PIKEVILLE COMMUNITY? I have always taken mine to off season traing facilities. This is a GOOD THING!!!!

I was just asking a question!!! Nice job in trying to get it controversial first thing here in the morning though.:eyeroll:

I know this better than anyone.

I wasn't meaning to point you out individually, I swear, you should know that? I was just saying in general that so many times something gets posted on here positive about the area, and then all of sudden someone immediately turns it into a negative situation with one post about something that doesn't have anything to do with the positive? I simply didn't want to see everybody jump on him all of sudden because they think he lied about his playing career? I wasn't meaning you were be negative for pointing it out. If that is what he's telling people then the truth should come out, but I didn't want anybody else to make it about that and forget about the positive he's doing? I don't even know the guy personally. :dudecomeon:
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I know this better than anyone.

I wasn't meaning to point you out individually, I swear, you should know that? I was just saying in general that so many times something gets posted on here positive about the area, and then all of sudden someone immediately turns it into a negative situation with one post about something that doesn't have anything to do with the positive? I simply didn't want to see everybody jump on him all of sudden because they think he lied about his playing career? I wasn't meaning you were be negative for pointing it out. If that is what he's telling people then the truth should come out, but I didn't want anybody else to make it about that and forget about the positive he's doing? I don't even know the guy personally. :dudecomeon:

Since my post was the one that you quoted, and I am the only one that even mentioned it, what is one to think? It was a question solely unrelatated. I think I emphasized that.

You know better than anyone alive that I am more than willing to take one of mine to Pikeville, to Huntington, or to Lexington to recieve good individual instuction. I definately need to stress that point!!

Like I said, this is a GOOD THING!!!
Bob Seger Wrote:Since my post was the one that you quoted, and I am the only one that even mentioned it, what is one to think? It was a question solely unrelatated. I think I emphasized that.

You know better than anyone alive that I am more than willing to take one of mine to Pikeville, to Huntington, or to Lexington to recieve good individual instuction. I definately need to stress that point!!

Like I said, this is a GOOD THING!!!

Haha! Oh I do know that very well?
JackRabbitSlim Wrote:I know this better than anyone.

Sad thing is, youre right. It never fails.

But, back then, you were drafted by the Affiliation team, and then picked to play for their farm teams until it was decided you came up. Kind of like High School Varsity and JV, youre on the team, you just dont play for them. Its surprising how many guys just walk into the MLB and start these days. Although, he did play shortly in the bigs, not sure about details.