Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dan Wheldon dies following crash
LAS VEGAS -- Dan Wheldon, the 2011 Indianapolis 500 winner and one of the most popular drivers in open-wheel racing, died Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in a horrific multi-car crash only 11 laps into the IndyCar Series season finale.

[+] Enlarge
Jennifer Stewart/US Presswire
Dan Wheldon (77) goes airborne during a fiery 15-car wreck during the IndyCar race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Wheldon died following the accident.
Officials decided to call the race, but the drivers planned a five-lap tribute to Wheldon. IndyCar Series CEORandy Bernard made the officials announcmeent of Wheldon's death without further comment.

"IndyCar is very sad to announce that Dan Wheldon has passed away from unsurvivable injuries," Bernard said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with his family today. IndyCar, its drivers and owners, have decided to end the race. In honor of Dan Wheldon, the drivers have decided to do a five-lap salute to in his honor."

Wheldon, 33 and the 2005 series champion from Emberton, England, was competing in only his third IndyCar race of the season, trying to win the event and earn a $5 million bonus that was part of a league promotion for drivers who didn't compete full-time in the series this year.

Wheldon was the only driver to accept the challenge. This year's Indy 500 was the second time Wheldon had won the prestigious event. He also won it in 2005.

Wheldon was expected to replace Danica Patrick next season in the Go-Daddy-sponsored car for Andretti Autosport.

Patrick is moving to NASCAR full-time in 2012.

Wheldon raced for Michael Andretti's team previously from 2003 through 2005 when he won the championship. Wheldon won 16 races in his nine-year IndyCar career.

Terry Blount is a senior writer for ESPN.com. Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.
WOW!

Not that it matters, but isn't he a really good driver? I mean Indy 500 winner good?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wow. Yes I think he won it twice??????
It is a huge loss to the entire racing community.

That was a terrible, terrible crash.

Very hard to watch.

R.I.P Dan Wheldon.
Thoughts/Prayers with the Wheldon Family.

Sad story.
J-Rod Wrote:It is a huge loss to the entire racing community.

That was a terrible, terrible crash.

Very hard to watch.

R.I.P Dan Wheldon.

Very tough. Just too hard to imagine and these guys know it's possible every time they strap up. Wow!
Even if you don't follow racing, you know that by looking at a open-wheeled indy car that it cannot be safe. They're probably the most dangerous circuit cars to get into, as they average speeds at 220 MPH. Nascars only usually average 170-175 MPH.

I watched the replays of the accident several times and it's tough to watch.

RIP Dan Wheldon
I don't see how they do it. RIP
Thats really horrible...... Let his soul rest in peace
garathnormanmtts Wrote:Thats really horrible...... Let his soul rest in peace

Good job reviving a thread that is 7 months old...:lame: