Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs, Theo Epstein agree to deal
Theo Epstein has agreed on a five-year deal worth more than $15MM with the Cubs, according to WEEI's John Dennis. The deal could be finalized this week, once the teams work out compensation and the Cubs decide on a title for the longtime Red Sox GM.

The Cubs were "on the cusp" of a deal with Epstein last night, but Boston's ownership still appeared interested in retaining Epstein. However, Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that Red Sox owner John Henry isn't the type to "chase" if he knows someone wants to leave (Twitter link).

The Cubs won't surrender Major League players or take on bad contracts in the deal, but they may send prospects and/or cash to the Red Sox. It appears that Epstein will need Boston's approval to bring employees with him.

Ben Cherington, Epstein's current assistant GM and likely replacement, spoke to MLBTR for our GM Candidates series. Alex Speier of WEEI.com chronicles Cherington's rise through Boston's organization.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/cu...stein.html
It was funny to hear Mike Greenberg on Mike & Mike! He was disappointed saying that Chuck Lamar would have been a Grand Slam and the Theo is a double. This coming from a diehard Cubs fan whose first job in the industry was covering the cubs in his hometown and he has no faith in Theo. They talked about Theo's first big move going after Pujols but how that would be a mistake for anyone other than the Cards to concede to Albert's demand of an 8 year contract. Should be interesting!
^ I'd like to know who they would have went after? Brian Cashman looks to be staying put at New York. I'm very happy with this choice. If they hadn't gotten Theo Epstein, I would have went after Rick Hahn
^ I like the move Wink
^ I do too. There was some talk about Brian Cashman but he's a Yankees guy, that's where he wants to re-main.

I'd like to get rid of Mike Quade and bring in Francona or someone who knows how to coach.

There still gonna try and land Albert Puljos or Prince Fielder. Fielder already said this was more than likely his last year in Milwaukee
^ I'm a Reds Fan! I LOVE IT!!!!
^ I'm also a Reds fan but Cubs fan at heart so I have to cheer on my Cubs when there playing the Reds but when the 2 are playing Different teams, I'll root for the Reds.

Are you more of Reds or Yankees fan?
10:00am: The Cubs' overall payout to Epstein will be closer to $20MM than $15MM, because they're responsible for paying a $3.5MM conclusion bonus that he had negotiated into his contract with the Red Sox, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (all Twitter links). MLB has monitored the Cubs' negotiations with Epstein, since there's concern that his deal will change the market for general managers. Epstein's salary will be similar to the one the Red Sox paid him, Olney notes. He was the Cubs' first choice and has met with them twice.
Strikeout King Wrote:^ I'm also a Reds fan but Cubs fan at heart so I have to cheer on my Cubs when there playing the Reds but when the 2 are playing Different teams, I'll root for the Reds.

Are you more of Reds or Yankees fan?

Red's at heart, Yankees fan!
^ That's about how I am with the Cubs/Reds. Cubs at Heart, Reds Fan. I don't know what it is about chicago but my Teams are the Cubs and Bulls (NBA). Don't care about hockey. Bears are an alright team but there not my favorite NFL team
^ Sox????
^ do not like the Sox. They was thinking about letting Paul Konerko be the manager before hiring Ventura
just seen on Sportscenter on ESPNEWS that with Theo Epstein being in Chicago Now that Manager Mike Quade will more than likely be dismissed as Manager. One of the Names that Popped up was Ryan Sandberg. Don't know if he'd take it or not after Cubs Owner Tom Ricketts over looking him last year
When Theo Epstein joins the Cubs, he'll likely bring along someone from the Padres front office, according to Center. GM Jed Hoyer, assistant GM Jason McLeod and senior VP of baseball operations Josh Byrnes are candidates to join Epstein in Chicago.
Most baseball people expect Hoyer (Padres GM), not Byrnes, to join Epstein in Chicago, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com

Tom Krasovic thinks that if Hoyer joins the Cubs he'd bring McLeod with him. Byrnes, a favorite of Padres owner Jeff Moorad, would likely become San Diego's GM.
when Epstein comes to Chicago he is likely (according to sources) to bring Padres GM in with him to be the Cubs GM. A compensation deal for Epstein is progressing and could be concluded Thursday and an announcement Friday during an off day of the World Series
theo epstin is awesome