Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jimmie Johnson dominates at Kansas
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Jimmie Johnson didn't qualify where he wanted, and his car never quite cooperated during the final practice session at Kansas Speedway. So he spent Saturday evening in the garage area, going over different setups with the rest of his team.

Blount: Championship form
Jimmie Johsnon has won 55 races in his storied Sprint Cup Series career. It's hard to remember any of them that looked as dominant as the one at Kansas Speedway on Sunday, writes Terry Blount. Story

That dedication, that attention to detail, is a big reason he's chasing his sixth straight Cup title.

Johnson and his team must have figured things out. The defending series champion stormed to the front early Sunday, then weathered a series of late cautions before holding off Kasey Kahne in a green-white-checkered finish for his first win since April.

"Jimmie was very dedicated last night with us, trying to figure out the setup of the car," crew chief Chad Knaus said. "We pored over a lot of combinations and we came up with a good one."

Talk about an understatement.

Johnson led 197 laps in one of the most dominant performances the track has ever seen. The victory was the 55th for Johnson, moving him into a tie with Rusty Wallace for the eighth on the career list, and the 199th for team owner Rick Hendrick.

"The competitor in all of us, we've known we've been close," Johnson said.

Johnson stumbled through the first two races in NASCAR's version of a postseason, and was 10th in the standings heading to Dover. A second-place finish last weekend gave him confidence, and his first win since Talladega moved him into third in the Chase behind Carl Edwards and Kevin Harvick.

Jimmie Johnson celebrates in Victory Lane after winning the Sprint Cup race at Kansas Speedway. The five-time defending champion pulled within four points of the Chase lead following the win.
"I know what my team is capable of," Johnson said, "and we showed today what we're capable of when we're all performing at the top of our game."

Jeff Gordon made things interesting when his engine blew up with three laps remaining.
1. Carl Edwards
2. Kevin Harvick (-1)
3. Jimmie Johnson (-4)
4. Brad Keselowski (-11)
5. Matt Kenseth (-12)
6. Kurt Busch (-16)
7. Tony Stewart (-19)
8. Kyle Busch (-20)
9. Dale Earnhardt Jr. (-43)
10. Jeff Gordon (-47)
11. Ryan Newman (-54)
12. Denny Hamlin (-79)
Who I thought dominated was the 99 car. Edwards made an amazing comeback to get to 5th position.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
jimmie johnson has these final 10 tracks down to an art... when you go to bristol you think kyle busch when you go to any of these final 10 races you think johnson. he is right where he wants to be at as bad as i hate to say it i fear that ol 5 time is about to be 6 time
JJ is a genius on the track!