Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who does the SEC take?
Let's say that the Big 12 & Big East dissolve. Who does the SEC take?

IMO:

Oklahoma
West Virginia or Oklahoma State
Missouri

Only 3 more would likely be added due to there already being 13 teams in the SEC starting next year.

Texas would likely move to the Pac-12, however Texas really wants to keep the Big 12 alive.
Louisville would be the most logical. After that who really knows. Superconferences are a really bad idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Louisville would be the most logical. After that who really knows. Superconferences are a really bad idea.

I agree 100%.I hate the idea.
^ Even if it means a Playoff system will be the result?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Let's say that the Big 12 & Big East dissolve. Who does the SEC take?

IMO:

Oklahoma
Missouri

Only 3 more would likely be added due to there already being 13 teams in the SEC starting next year.

Texas would likely move to the Pac-12, however Texas really wants to keep the Big 12 alive.

Texas wants to go whereever they can still have Texas network and i had heard ACC would allow, and Pac 12 wouldnt..
Jarons Wrote:Louisville would be the most logical. After that who really knows. Superconferences are a really bad idea.

I disagree. Louisville to the SEC makes no sense at all. They have absolutely nothing to offer to the conference. Sure, they have a good basketball program, but their football program is nothing special, and we all know that football drives this whole realignment deal. Plus, Louisville doesn't bring much in the way of new TV viewers. Through UK, the SEC already controls the entire state of Kentucky and half the city of Louisville.

I feel confident in saying there is 0% chance Louisville ever gets invited to the SEC.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
In all truthfulness, geographically UK shouldnt be in the SEC. But with these superconferences forming, geography wont make any sense whatsoever (TCU in the Big East??)....I heard today that the Big East and the Big 12 are going to merge with whatever is left from both conferences after everybody leaves. Oklahoma and Texas are Pac 12 bound, because neither of them will risk becoming a perennial 8-4 team in the SEC (not saying they would become that, but they wont risk it). However, if the SEC was to pick three teams, I believe they should take Clemson, Georgia Tech and Florida State. All three would bring three solid football AND basketball programs into the conference, and all three have rabid SEC type fan bases.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Let's say that the Big 12 & Big East dissolve. Who does the SEC take?

IMO:

Oklahoma
Missouri

I think the best option for the SEC is Missouri. Next best would be Virginia Tech, then West Virginia.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
cuppett777 Wrote:Texas wants to go whereever they can still have Texas network and i had heard ACC would allow, and Pac 12 wouldnt..

Texas could easily be a football independent if they wanted to
Looks like texas and oklahoma are pac-12 bound.

Big 12-big east are talking merger as are c-usa and mountain west.

FSU has already said its happy in the acc....

my take on all those moves look like this

Big XII
missouri, baylor, iowa state, kansas, kansas state, tcu, cincy, louisville, houston, rutgers, smu

ACC
bc, duke, fsu, georgia tech, maryland, miami, unc, nc state, virginia, vtech, wake forest, pitt, syracuse, clemson, south florida, uconn

SEC
bama, arkansas, auburn, florida, georgia, kentucky, lsu, miss state, ole miss, south carolina, UT, vandy, wvu, TAMU

c usa-mw
air force, boise, colarodo st, new mexico, san diego st, unlv, wyoming, east carolina, marshall, tulsa, uab, ucf, utep, tulane, southern miss, memphis

makes the most sense to me.
NothingTrivial Wrote:Looks like texas and oklahoma are pac-12 bound.

Big 12-big east are talking merger as are c-usa and mountain west.

FSU has already said its happy in the acc....

my take on all those moves look like this

Big XII
missouri, baylor, iowa state, kansas, kansas state, tcu, cincy, louisville, houston, rutgers, smu

ACC
bc, duke, fsu, georgia tech, maryland, miami, unc, nc state, virginia, vtech, wake forest, pitt, syracuse, clemson, south florida, uconn

SEC
bama, arkansas, auburn, florida, georgia, kentucky, lsu, miss state, ole miss, south carolina, UT, vandy, wvu, TAMU

c usa-mw
air force, boise, colarodo st, new mexico, san diego st, unlv, wyoming, east carolina, marshall, tulsa, uab, ucf, utep, tulane, southern miss, memphis

makes the most sense to me.

I hear something that missouri is thinking about the SEC, if the come I think the SEC should try to get Duke and UNC for basketball. or Vtech, clemson, or miami for football.
I will say TCU that way the SEC can tap into some of them Dallas recruits
cj2561 Wrote:I hear something that missouri is thinking about the SEC, if the come I think the SEC should try to get Duke and UNC for basketball. or Vtech, clemson, or miami for football.

Ive heard the same thing, but sec has barely even accepted a 13th member, I didnt want to be too ambitious. Rumors are WVU will be the 14th member. as for 15 and 16 if they go that high....I think Missouri and V-Tech would be shoe ins. I dont think Duke and UNC will leave the acc, especially after the addition of syracuse and pitt, and just recently voting the raise the exit price. After that vote I believe if the SEC votes to move forward will 16 teams, acc schools may be completly out of the picture. If so who could the 16th team possibly be? Possibly a Cincy or Louisville?
rustyankle Wrote:I will say TCU that way the SEC can tap into some of them Dallas recruits

I would absolutely love for TCU to jump into th SEC, but I dont see it happening. Conventional wisdom tells me that they would have been happily accepted into the Pac-12 or the Big XII....but they decided to join a conference based primarily in the east-north east part of the united states? They just want the easiest way into the bcs party. SEC will never present an opportunity like that to any school.
Not that anything is set in stone, but apparently the SEC and ACC have turned down West Virginia, who had enquired to join both conferences. I heard on Sirius/XM that the SEC turned down WVU due to population and ACC turned them down due to academics. That coming from Jack Arute and Mike Leach.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry...2/32130111
Thanks for the info bloodyharlan. I hadnt seen that yet.
Texas A&M maybe staying in the Big 12 however if they leave for the SEC look for Baylor to sue the SEC

http://newsok.com/article/3605929?custom...aking_news
After seeing all of the talk over the last few days i believe we can rule out all ACC teams from coming to the SEC
There just too powerful now for anyone to leave and it would be stupid to leave money wise.
If the SEC does go to 16 teams with one of the four new ones being Texas A&M, the i think we will recieve 1 or 2 from the big east amd 1 or 2 from the big 12. The big 12 will totally fall apart if Texas leaves
if the Big 12 remains intact Louisville is expected to go there. SEC wants Louisville but UK has used there Veto Power to dismiss it
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:After seeing all of the talk over the last few days i believe we can rule out all ACC teams from coming to the SEC
There just too powerful now for anyone to leave and it would be stupid to leave money wise.
If the SEC does go to 16 teams with one of the four new ones being Texas A&M, the i think we will recieve 1 or 2 from the big east amd 1 or 2 from the big 12. The big 12 will totally fall apart if Texas leaves

And Texas will only leave if Oklahoma leaves. Oklahoma wants nothing to do with Texas anymore and Texas is struggling to keep Oklahoma on their side
Strikeout King Wrote:if the Big 12 remains intact Louisville is expected to go there. SEC wants Louisville but UK has used there Veto Power to dismiss it

I saw that bit about Louisville and the SEC mentioned on KSR earlier today. It was a radio host in Atlanta that was the one saying that the SEC "wants Louisville". Personally, I'm gonna call BS on that one. I'm not saying that UK wouldn't block such a potential move (I'm sure they would). I just don't believe for a second that the SEC actually wanted Louisville.

The same reason why the SEC won't take Louisville is the same reason why they never actively pursued Florida St, Clemson, or Ga Tech. All of those schools are in states that already have SEC teams in them, and as such adding those teams won't add to the conference's TV "footprint". With UK, the SEC already has the TV viewers of most of the state of Kentucky locked up, and adding the Cards just doesn't add much. There just isn't much to be gained by adding Louisville.

Adding TV viewers is why adding a school like Texas A&M was appealing. It's why Missouri is the next most appealing option. It's why Louisville would be behind even West Virginia in the SEC's preference order.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I saw that bit about Louisville and the SEC mentioned on KSR earlier today. It was a radio host in Atlanta that was the one saying that the SEC "wants Louisville". Personally, I'm gonna call BS on that one. I'm not saying that UK wouldn't block such a potential move (I'm sure they would). I just don't believe for a second that the SEC actually wanted Louisville.

The same reason why the SEC won't take Louisville is the same reason why they never actively pursued Florida St, Clemson, or Ga Tech. All of those schools are in states that already have SEC teams in them, and as such adding those teams won't add to the conference's TV "footprint". With UK, the SEC already has the TV viewers of most of the state of Kentucky locked up, and adding the Cards just doesn't add much. There just isn't much to be gained by adding Louisville.

Adding TV viewers is why adding a school like Texas A&M was appealing. It's why Missouri is the next most appealing option. It's why Louisville would be behind even West Virginia in the SEC's preference order.

In the latest unexpected turn on the twisty, gnarled path that college football conference expansion is taking, Louisville and the University of Kentucky are now steering the SEC’s ship for the time being. The bottom line . . .
If the SEC expands to just 14 teams, the conference prefers that 14th team to be Louisville. Kentucky does not and it has veto power, in effect, for any school within its borders. This is the same arrangement for Florida, Georgia and South Carolina regarding FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson. As such, if membership is capped at 14 the league will have to go elsewhere for that final addition.

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-w...ootball%29

but according to a report in the other thread Missouri is headed to the SEC as the 14th Team
Strikeout King Wrote:In the latest unexpected turn on the twisty, gnarled path that college football conference expansion is taking, Louisville and the University of Kentucky are now steering the SEC’s ship for the time being. The bottom line . . .
If the SEC expands to just 14 teams, the conference prefers that 14th team to be Louisville. Kentucky does not and it has veto power, in effect, for any school within its borders. This is the same arrangement for Florida, Georgia and South Carolina regarding FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson. As such, if membership is capped at 14 the league will have to go elsewhere for that final addition.

http://dev.chuckoliver.net/2011/09/sec-w...ootball%29

but according to a report in the other thread Missouri is headed to the SEC as the 14th Team
I live just out side of Louisville and I have never heard or read anything about this. If this is true, the Louisville media would have been all over this for weeks now. I am not buying it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ I don't know if it's true or not just posting what I read. I can try and find some more info about it
Strikeout King Wrote:^ I don't know if it's true or not just posting what I read. I can try and find some more info about it
No need in finding any info on it. None of the Louisville media outlets have never said anything about it. If/when it happens, I guarantee that there will be tons of coverage about it here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^ Just found one.

Card Chronicle

Not going to lie, I would never have guessed that this would be the next major piece of news in the never-ending realignment soap opera.

Chuck Oliver - the self-proclaimed "King of College Football" - has confirmed the rumor that the SEC has said "thanks, but no thanks" to West Virginia (a move the ACC has reportedly mimicked). But the bigger story is who the SEC does want, and according to Oliver, it's Louisville.

Of course, there's one thing blocking U of L from becoming the 14th member of the SEC: Lexington Basketball Academy. Oliver says UK is not cool with the reigning Governor's Cup champions joining the league, and has veto power for any school within its state borders.

So where does this leave the Cards? Oliver continues.

If Missouri does get the SEC invite, the Big 12 (if it exists) emerges as the likely destination for Louisville. As of this morning, Louisville’s attention is split between trying to stay in the SEC’s discussion and waiting on news from Texas. If the Longhorns stay in the Big 12 and the SEC only expands to 14, expect Louisville to join the Big 12 as soon as Texas is confirmed. An invitation to the ACC is not on anyone’s list of possibilities, as both sides recognize the academics of Louisville and the poor fit it would be in that league. However . . .

The Cardinals’ one chance to heave the dice down the table and win the ultimate prize of SEC membership is if the conference expands to 16. At that point, they’re in, Kentucky smiles big and pretends to be happy about it and both schools try to make nice, to some degree, going forward. The move to 16 would almost certainly involve FSU and Clemson, among a few other high-profile schools, re-entering the discussion.

Expect all of this to resolved with two weeks.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2011/9/20/2...y-does-not
Courier Journal
The Cardinal Connect
onelicksportsnow
golouisvillecards

all of these sites have the same thing with SEC wanting Louisville, Now I do not know if they are big Loserville media outlets
I say take A&M and Missouri and be done with it. No way UK lets the Tardinals in.
Why in the world would we not want a SEC rivalry in football that we can win.