Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class Systems in Baseball
This was just posted on Preps. Let's talk about it.

Here are GREAT reasons for:

1. 4 state champions opposed to 1. Why not? It would have to be better for student athletes. You would have more kids get to be state champions.

2. ALL states bordering KY have class systems for baseball. Why don't we? Do we have such a baseball tradition that we won't change? NOt hardly. THe KHSAA is not worried enough about baseball to change.

3. TRUE champions. Large schools wouldn't have the luxury of playing small schools in the district and region. Small schools wouldn't have to pull huge upsets to get to the state tournaments.

You can bet that VERY FEW, IF ANY coaches at large schools would vote for this. They don't want an even playing field. But you can guarantee that almost ALL small schools would vote for it.
Small schools are at at a disadvantage. Most bigger schools will have more pitching than the smaller ones. Most of the time, if a small school doesn't pull an upset in the first game with their ace, they are doomed. Very few smaller schools have 2 quality pitchers. But, there are some that do. Raceland in the 16th, has 4 real good pitchers. If their offense can score runs against the big boys, Rams can have a very good year.
I like it the way that it is personally with the KHSAA not having a class system for baseball. The only thing I would like to see different is to have a single elmination state tournament for the winners of all 16 regions....the exact same as the Sweet 16 in basketball.
I agree, PHSFAN. I think if your team is deserving to win their respected Region, I believe they should have the chance to show the state what they can do. I think all 16 teams should play at Applebee's Park and forget this Semi-State Best-of-Three stuff. If a team is good enough to win it's region, I feel they are good enough to play at the real State Tournament in Lexington. They could still do the mathc-ups the same way they presently do Semi-State. Like have the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th Regions rotate each year, but have the games be played in Lexington and not at some random site.
"StrikeoutKing" Wrote:I agree, PHSFAN. I think if your team is deserving to win their respected Region, I believe they should have the chance to show the state what they can do. I think all 16 teams should play at Applebee's Park and forget this Semi-State Best-of-Three stuff. If a team is good enough to win it's region, I feel they are good enough to play at the real State Tournament in Lexington. They could still do the mathc-ups the same way they presently do Semi-State. Like have the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th Regions rotate each year, but have the games be played in Lexington and not at some random site.

I agree :thumb:
"StrikeoutKing" Wrote:I agree, PHSFAN. I think if your team is deserving to win their respected Region, I believe they should have the chance to show the state what they can do. I think all 16 teams should play at Applebee's Park and forget this Semi-State Best-of-Three stuff. If a team is good enough to win it's region, I feel they are good enough to play at the real State Tournament in Lexington. They could still do the mathc-ups the same way they presently do Semi-State. Like have the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th Regions rotate each year, but have the games be played in Lexington and not at some random site.

I agree!:thumb:

:thumb: I agree with you SoK!

Has it ever been proposed?
I don't think so, but I have a pretty good idea it would work.
I agree with PHSFAN
"Statmaster" Wrote:Small schools are at at a disadvantage. Most bigger schools will have more pitching than the smaller ones. Most of the time, if a small school doesn't pull an upset in the first game with their ace, they are doomed. Very few smaller schools have 2 quality pitchers. But, there are some that do.
I agree 100%.