Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chattahoochee, GA wins the LIVT
Chattahoochee, a public high school school in the Atlanta area, ventured out of Georgia for the first time in school history and won the Active Ankle Louisville Invitational Volleyball Tournament at the Ohio Valley Volleyball Center on Saturday.

In a tournament loaded with seven of the top 50 volleyball teams in the country, according to PrepVolleyball.com, No. 13 Chattahoochie downed No. 6 Assumption 27-25, 21-25, 25-19 in the final.

“We wanted to get onto the (national) map,” said Chattahoochie outside hitter Emily Corrigan, who has committed to Appalachian State. “We wanted to show everyone how good we are. We played so well as a team.”

Corrigan led the Cougars (20-4) with 18 kills and 17 digs. Kennedy Bryan, who will play at Virginia Tech, also recorded 18 kills.

Corrigan had 10 kills in the first game before the Rockets made some defensive adjustments.

“They moved their defense around a little bit,” she said. “So we moved the ball around to other people.”

“It’s a big deal for us, winning this tournament,” Chattahoochie coach Jennie Blevins said. “This is the first time in the school’s history we’ve traveled to a tournament. We were excited to be invited.”

Blevins said she knew about Assumption and some of the other teams in the tournament.

“We knew it was going to be tough,” she said. “It was as tough as I thought it would be. The girls played amazingly.”

For Assumption (15-1), the loss snapped a 28-match winning streak dating to last year. The Rockets have won 15 of the past 19 state titles.

Assumption pulled within 15-14 in the final game after a kill by freshman outside hitter Miranda Elpers, who finished with eight kills.

“She did a really good job,” coach Ron Kordes said. “I saw a lot of things I really liked.

“We weren’t going undefeated against the kind of competition we play, and I thought we played a very good match. But we did make some mistakes at crucial times.”

The Rockets were led by Hannah Moore, an outside hitter who recorded 12 kills. Senior middle blocker Taylor Paulson had 10 kills.

Kordes said it’s hard to defend Bryan and Corrigan, two athletic outside hitters and future NCAA Division I players.

“They were playing above the net,” he said. “There’s not a lot you can do about that. ... It was a great match. We did some good things. We really competed.”
LIVT summaryFinal

Chattahoochie (Ga.) defeated Assumption 27-25, 21-25, 25-19; semifinals -- Assumption defeated Notre Dame 25-20, 25-20, Chattahoochie defeated Sacred Heart 25-17, 20-25, 25-19; quarterfinals -- Assumption defeated Manual 25-10, 25-17, Notre Dame defeated St. Joseph’s 25-17, 23-25, 25-17; Sacred Heart defeated Holy Cross 25-12, 26-24; Chattahoochie defeated Mercy 25-20, 25-20.