Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Disappointing Thing About the Reds?
The baseball forum hasn't had a new post in it for a couple days now, so I figured I might as well rant a little just to get things going...

As all us Reds fans know by now, this season is a lost cause. After taking a 3rd consecutive loss to the Phillies tonight, the Reds are back to being under .500 again. They sit 13.5 games out of first with only four weeks left in the season. And there have been several reasons why this team has underachieved:

1) Too many atrocious starts by Bronson Arroyo and Edinson Volquez left the team behind the 8-ball from the get-go.

2) Too many excellent starts by guys like Johnny Cueto, Mike Leake, and Homer Bailey were wasted on nights when the offense no-showed.

3) Not nearly enough clutch hitting; with the exception of Joey Votto, most of the Reds were terrible at getting that key hit to knock in runs in a close game.

4) Poor fundamentals; the Reds hitters were awful at doing the little things like getting a runner from 3rd in with a sac fly.

But the main problem to me is the manager, Dusty Baker. His managerial decisions were puzzling to say the least. He has no concept of how to make out a batting lineup, as he consistently puts guys like Edgar Renteria, Paul Janish, and now Dave Sappelt at the top of the order, while a guy with a .364 OBP like Ryan Hanigan languishes in the #8 hole.

He also has continued to play struggling older players when it was painfully obvious that they needed to sit and let a younger guy get his shot. Jonny Gomes, Scott Rolen, Fred Lewis, and the aforementioned Renteria were all veteran players with batting averages around .240 or below, yet who continued to play on a regular basis. Meanwhile, a talented guy like Yonder Alonso sits on the bench and rots away...

It has become obvious that in order for the Reds to have any shot in 2012, Dusty has got to go. Anyone else agree or disagree with me?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Most disappointing thing? Dusty!
Remember that Dusty got your Reds to the playoffs.

I feel awful for Dontrelle Willis. He is like 0-4 or 0-5 and every start that I have followed of his, he has pitched 6, 7 or 8 innings and gave up 2, 3, or 4 runs and never gets a win.

Last night he, basically, pitched a full game and gave up 3 runs to the Phillies. 3 runs to that Phillies team is GREAT. The Reds couldn't get him a single run. (Don't worry, I understand that Cliff Lee was on the mound for the Phils. Wink )

I wonder if Reds and Indians fan realize that Ohio was some stupid decisions by Dusty and an injury-plagued season for the Tribe away from both teams being in the playoffs?

I saw a stat where Hafner, Sin-Soo-Choo, the all-star-capable CF and A. Cabrera played a total of 40-something games together! Call me crazy but the Reds and Indians make the playoffs next year (unless everyone is sold or traded away...)
Dusty is fine. The Reds just need some pitching. They have players that can put runs up on the board but there pitching is what let's the other team back in the game. Cincy needs to take there some of there starting rotation and some of there relievers (Willis, Cordero, Massett) and get rid of them and bring up some guys from the minors and go out and get some pitching and then they will be good to go!
LWC Wrote:Remember that Dusty got your Reds to the playoffs.

Strikeout King Wrote:Dusty is fine. The Reds just need some pitching. They have players that can put runs up on the board but there pitching is what let's the other team back in the game. Cincy needs to take there some of there starting rotation and some of there relievers (Willis, Cordero, Massett) and get rid of them and bring up some guys from the minors and go out and get some pitching and then they will be good to go!

I have to disagree with you guys, Dusty is a BIG problem. He is just too stuck in his ways to change, and his time with the Reds needs to end.

It seems as though he and the Reds GM Walt Jocketty are not on the same page, either. Jocketty signed some of those older guys in the offseason like Renteria and Lewis, and stated at the time of the signings that they were mainly for veteran leadership and bench help. So what does Dustbag do? Start them in place of younger guys and put them up near the top of the order, in front of Votto. How many RBI's has that nonsense cost the Reds' best player?

LWC, I wouldn't say he got the Reds to the playoffs last year. It's more like they won the division in spite of Dusty, not because of him.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^He might be using a guy like Renteria for veteran leadership, stability and defense. He may hit .250, but it will be a consistent .250, lol.

I disagree with SK about Willis. He has been a great pickup.

Who would you bring in the place of Dusty? They wont pay a guy like Joe Torre, etc...

I think Dusty must be great at coaching up his players but his line-up cards are crazy! What do they see in Drew Stubbs that LEADS THE LEAGUE IN STRIKEOUTS! I understand keeping a guy like Adam Dunn in the lineup even though he K's 200 times a year, but Drew Stubbs?

I was actually looking up his K numbers and I kid you not, it said 178, I was about to switch back to this tab, when the page refreshed and it said 179! :hilarious: He made my point for me. Stubbs is hitting .250 15HR 47RBI and 35 SB (8CS) His K's-BB's is 179-50. That ratio is close to 4-1!!!! Why has this guy received 530+ At bats????

Also Jared Burton. Does Dusty realize that his ERA is 27 not 2.70 but 27.0 Sheesh! I could go into a laundry list of my Indians as well. Not a single player on that team right now is hitting .300. Not one! Not a single one of them has 85 RBI. Without a doubt a healthy Soo-Choo and Hafner get those easily, but right now, nobody.
Back to Dontrelle Willis:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/5470/...lle-willis

Since July, I only see one really bad start. He went 2.2 and gave up 4. Other than that he has not had a start that he has given up more than 3. The bats are killing him.
Stardust Wrote:Most disappointing thing? Dusty!
But isn't he the American Dream?
Most disappointing thing about the Reds this year is Nick Masset, followed by the way Dusty handles the pitching
nky Wrote:But isn't he the American Dream?

If he is, I'm changing my Avatar to the Mulkey Brothers
Biggest disappointment: Proving last year that they have the talent to be successful but not utilizing their talents this year.
Stardust Wrote:If he is, I'm changing my Avatar to the Mulkey Brothers

The Mulkeys rule! :rockon:

Mulkeymania lives forever!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Stardust Wrote:Most disappointing thing? Dusty!

Never have liked Dusty Baker, he is so stupid. Need someone in their that has actually done something in his career.
^ Dusty has been very successful - AT RUINING PITCHERS!!!!!!
The most disapointing thing is that baseball season is not over with yet.
they always choke in the playoffs!