Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Team Ever in Mountains??
I remember in the 1980's watching and playing against some of those Great Belfry Teams. I don't think they won a State title but back then there was only 3 Classes. The 1986 Belfry Team was the Best HS football team I ever saw in the Mountains. They had some huge Athletic Players. They were runners UP in class AAA when all the Big Dogs were there. The were 20 points better than the Belfry teams that won the State title a few years back. I think they lost the 86 title to a team in weastern KY that had a bunch of guys go D1. Name some teams that could compete with the 86 Belfry team
Sorry there were 4 classes
'87 Pikeville Panthers..............end of discussion.
Yeah 87' Pikeville with Hackney and Deramus.
Did Belfry and Pikeville play in 86 ?
I played against both the 86 Belfry team and the 87 Pikeville team. Its real tough to call who was better. I think the 86 Belfry team was deeper and the 87 Pikeville team was faster at RB. This may sound stupid , but even back then JCHS had more talent walking the Hallways than either Pikeville or Belfry. They didn't know nothing about Football at that school. I remember JCHS had a guy that was 11 flat in 100mm and a 6 foot 8 inch high Jumper and they played him at Offensive Tackle. When Chris Deaton signed to play at Marshall they JCHS coachs I remmeber clearly saying "no way he can play at that leval". Well he wan a National title an still holds the record of games started at Marshall.
Interesting Fact: Only 3 Pike County teams have made it to the state finals. All three programs were good.
87 panthers. I don't think 86 belfry could've beat them. I think it would have been a good game though.
87 PHS team. Not even really close. 86 Belfry team was very good, no doubt (I saw them play), but the 87 PHS team could have won no matter what class they played that year. Anthony Munoz (old Bengals lineman) was calling that game and called them the best high school team he had ever seen, period.
87 Panthers were one of the best teams to play in Kentucky ever, not to mention just in the Mountains. They were unreal, and honestly deserved to win a national championship. They blew away everyone :flame:
what about them ole mc napier boys
gonna say '04 Bell County, just for the simple fact of Shawn Robbins. Kid was unbelievable to watch.
1987 Pikeville Panthers!!
Sorry but 1998 Middlesboro team with Durell White
bac2369 Wrote:Sorry but 1998 Middlesboro team with Durell White

White was still at Bell Co in 1998.
1995 Breathitt County Bobcats. Hands down the best team to come out of the mountains. They were men among boys.
Cat Daddy Wrote:1995 Breathitt County Bobcats. Hands down the best team to come out of the mountains. They were men among boys.
Very good team, indeed. But the 87 Pikeville team would have beat them. It would have been a heck of a game to watch though. And as for the poster about Middlesboro, I'm sorry, but that team would not have moved the ball on the 87 Pikeville team.
potlimit2002 Wrote:Did Belfry and Pikeville play in 86 ?
Yes. I believe Pikeville won. Can't find the score to confirm though.
no belfry won in 86
I would put the 1998 Middlesboro team up against any Class A team in the mountains. I can not see the Pikeville 87 team being much better in my book.
1987 Pikeville
Cat Daddy Wrote:1995 Breathitt County Bobcats. Hands down the best team to come out of the mountains. They were men among boys.

I sure wish that team would have stayed in 3A instead of dropping to 2A..

I think Breathitt's undefeated team with Haddix was the best team...
BellCoFaithful Wrote:gonna say '04 Bell County, just for the simple fact of Shawn Robbins. Kid was unbelievable to watch.

They were the 3rd best team in the mountains that year. Pburg defeated them in the regular season and the Belfry team who won the state title (and defeated Pburg twice) was the best.
Mountain Wrote:I would put the 1998 Middlesboro team up against any Class A team in the mountains. I can not see the Pikeville 87 team being much better in my book.

Can't agree with this..

That Middlesboro team was great, but the 1987 Pikeville team was transcendent.

The closest a mountain team has ever came to being a Top 50 team Nationally was that Panther team.

Here is my Top 5 list, I only consider teams who won their State Championship:
1. 1987 Pikeville
2. 2004 Belfry
3. 2002 Breathitt
4. 1991 Bell County
5. 1996 Breathitt
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Can't agree with this..

That Middlesboro team was great, but the 1987 Pikeville team was transcendent.

The closest a mountain team has ever came to being a Top 50 team Nationally was that Panther team.

Here is my Top 5 list, I only consider teams who won their State Championship:
1. 1987 Pikeville
2. 2004 Belfry
3. 2002 Breathitt
4. 1991 Bell County
5. 1996 Breathitt

Great List! :Thumbs:
Unregistered Wrote:no belfry won in 86
Thanks for the correction. I still haven't found the score to confirm, but will take you at your word.
I know Paintsville beat Pikeville in 1985 that's when the Tiger had Joey Couch

If you truly wanted to see men amongst boys then you should get your hands on some video of that '87 Pikeville team. The '95 and '96 Breathitt teams were really really good and were probably close in comparing speed but Pikeville was MUCH more physical and way more dominant. I say this not as a Pikeville alum or fan, being Im from Belfry, but as an outside unbiased observer. That team looked like a college team and Im proud to say they were from the mountains and I got the pleasure to watch/witness their greatness.
I think you are right, 1987 Pikeville Hands down. I put the 86 Belfry teams at #2 . I don't put the 85 Belfry team on the List they were lucky to beat a Average JCHS team that year, I saw the film on that game some really bad calls by the refs changed the game, final score was 28-14
wooderson Wrote:If you truly wanted to see men amongst boys then you should get your hands on some video of that '87 Pikeville team. The '95 and '96 Breathitt teams were really really good and were probably close in comparing speed but Pikeville was MUCH more physical and way more dominant. I say this not as a Pikeville alum or fan, being Im from Belfry, but as an outside unbiased observer. That team looked like a college team and Im proud to say they were from the mountains and I got the pleasure to watch/witness their greatness.
[YOUTUBE="Pikeville 1987"]p4wWvBYDEDY[/YOUTUBE]