Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Burchett to West Virginia
Former Prestonsburg quarterback Michael Burchett will transfer from Kentucky to West Virginia. They offered him a scholarship and guaranteed he would be the #3 quarterback for them this season.

Michael was redshirted last season at UK and was a walk-on.

Best of luck to Michael at WVU!
Hope it works out for him and hope WVU SUCKS!
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
What grade will he be in?
So, I take it he will be a red shirt freshman and be eligible this season? Congrats to him.
Yeah, he'll be a redshirt freshman.
Awesome news...he's a great kid and I'll be rooting for him! Good move on his part.
Would be nice to see him get some playing time for the Mountaineers!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I like the move. Sure would like to see the kid get a chance. Great kid!!
He had no shot at Kentucky, and he is to good to end up like Sargent did. This is a good move imo
http://www.wvillustrated.com/wvunews/pos...w/football

With Brian Athey transfering to Illinois State, we needed a third string QB very badly.
Yeah the way UK treated their best QB prospect since Couch (Moss), I'd transfer too...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Former Prestonsburg quarterback Michael Burchett will transfer from Kentucky to West Virginia. They offered him a scholarship and guaranteed he would be the #3 quarterback for them this season.

I think Michael will be walking on. Either way this is a great move. As much as I love UK WVU is a much better team. He will see the difference in size and strength very quickly. Plus WVU games are great to attend. He will get alot more out of this experience than he would have at UK.
This is really cool. Best of luck to Burchett at WVU!
I'd almost bet that Burchett is better than any QB UK currently has on their staff. Newton is garbage and they let their best QB transfer (Moss). Good luck to him at WVU.
Matman Wrote:I think Michael will be walking on. Either way this is a great move. As much as I love UK WVU is a much better team. He will see the difference in size and strength very quickly. Plus WVU games are great to attend. He will get alot more out of this experience than he would have at UK.

Michael told me himself that he will be walking-on for this semester, but once the spring semester starts he'll be on scholarship.

Only reason why he's walking-on on this semester is because he doesn't want to sit out another football season. If he had accepted the scholarship for this semester he would have to sit out all season which wouldn't benefit him.
I had rather walk on at Ky the WVU. Did he consider going to Georgetown?
fan first Wrote:I had rather walk on at Ky the WVU. Did he consider going to Georgetown?

He'll be on scholarship after this semester.

And if given the opportunity I would walk-on at UK over WVU too anyday, but when UK doesn't even invite you to fall camp and never takes you seriously then you look elsewhere.

WVU told him he would be the 3rd string quarterback and he would be on scholarship. I honestly can't blame Michael one bit for making this decision, plus he's going into engineering and WVU has one of the best engineering programs in the country.
Good luck Burchett.
BCF4L Wrote:I'd almost bet that Burchett is better than any QB UK currently has on their staff. Newton is garbage and they let their best QB transfer (Moss). Good luck to him at WVU.

I seriously doubt that.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I seriously doubt that.
Can't be any worse.
From what I've been told by a UK football booster: Joker was asked in Pikeville several months ago if Michael Burchett ever had a shot to play and Joker simply said, no.

Joker's reasoning was that it hurts with recruiting having a starting quarterback who walked onto the team.

That honestly blew me away when I was told this, and my first thought was, we already get the top SEC schools leftovers, how much worse could it actually get? I mean we always seem to find a diamond in the rough, but obviously we aren't going to field a team capable of winning the SEC with 3* recruits.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:From what I've been told by a UK football booster: Joker was asked in Pikeville several months ago if Michael Burchett ever had a shot to play and Joker simply said, no.

Joker's reasoning was that it hurts with recruiting having a starting quarterback who walked onto the team.

That honestly blew me away when I was told this, and my first thought was, we already get the top SEC schools leftovers, how much worse could it actually get? I mean we always seem to find a diamond in the rough, but obviously we aren't going to field a team capable of winning the SEC with 3* recruits.

He probably said that because he didnt want to say that Burchett didn't have the talent.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:He probably said that because he didnt want to say that Burchett didn't have the talent.

Well then I guess WVU seen something in him that UK obvisouly didn't.

I hope he gets to start for the Mountaineers one day and prove Joker wrong.
I hope he starts at WVU, but he isn't SEC Material.
Good luck
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:I hope he starts at WVU, but he isn't SEC Material.

Majority of UK's football teams isn't SEC football material.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well then I guess WVU seen something in him that UK obvisouly didn't.

I hope he gets to start for the Mountaineers one day and prove Joker wrong.

Micheal approached WVU. It isn't like they went and recruited from UK's team. But I think he is taking advantage of a good oppertunity. They only had two QBs and now they have four counting Micheal. At worst he would be fourth string. That is better than at UK. I just hope he doesn't get pushed down the roster with next year's recruiting class. Plus at WVU Micheal actually gets a chance to win his conference and go to a good bowl game. Micheal has already committed on the difference in size and strength at WVU compared to UK.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Former Prestonsburg quarterback Michael Burchett will transfer from Kentucky to West Virginia. They offered him a scholarship and guaranteed he would be the #3 quarterback for them this season.

I didn't even know we had a Pburg kid on Division 1 football team, much less Kentucky. That's pretty cool. Wish him the best of luck, and playing time, at WVU, even though I hate them! Haha..

Matman Wrote:I think Michael will be walking on. Either way this is a great move. As much as I love UK WVU is a much better team. He will see the difference in size and strength very quickly. Plus WVU games are great to attend. He will get alot more out of this experience than he would have at UK.

Size and strength? The SEC is much, much bigger, faster, and stronger than the Big East, and I would bet that Kentucky is right with WVU or better in that. But, I do agree that WVU is the better team right now, by alot. It's kind of pathetic for us. The Big East is horrible, and usually we're better than their top teams.

Oh well, we'll get better, just a down year for us, which CAN happen guys. Love my Cats! :/
Just like I said, I bet money that Burchett is better than the product that UK is putting on the field at QB.
vundy33 Wrote:I didn't even know we had a Pburg kid on Division 1 football team, much less Kentucky. That's pretty cool. Wish him the best of luck, and playing time, at WVU, even though I hate them! Haha..

Size and strength? The SEC is much, much bigger, faster, and stronger than the Big East, and I would bet that Kentucky is right with WVU or better in that. But, I do agree that WVU is the better team right now, by alot. It's kind of pathetic for us. The Big East is horrible, and usually we're better than their top teams.

Oh well, we'll get better, just a down year for us, which CAN happen guys. Love my Cats! :/

While I agree the SEC is much, bigger and stronger than the Big East, UK isn't. They are faster than WVU but no where near as strong. UK doesn't even have the strongest team in KY. Their biggest bencher this year did 440lbs. according to Micheal. WVU has produced some of the strongest players in the country. Remember Amos the 500lb benching running back.