Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What was the best game you were a part of?
1982 CovCath vs. Highlands first round of the playoffs.
My last game in high school and still one of the best games in Northern Kentucky history
October 1975 we were undefeated ranked 6 in the state of WV and playing Mannington Gator's who the year before were Single A state champs. It had rained all week the field was a mess and one corner of the end zone was underwater. We gave up a punt return for a touchdown and that was the only points we gave up the whole season and beat them 15-6.
BigEastZebra Wrote:October 1975 we were undefeated ranked 6 in the state of WV and playing Mannington Gator's who the year before were Single A state champs. It had rained all week the field was a mess and one corner of the end zone was underwater. We gave up a punt return for a touchdown and that was the only points we gave up the whole season and beat them 15-6.

That sounds like a neat game.
Pulaski has played in a lot of great games in the past few years, some we won some we lost. 2008 playoff game against Whitley Co. Great game. Hard hitting game. Whitley pulled it out late after Pulaski came from behind to take the lead late in the 4th Quarter. The to 2008 KNox Central game at home, again a great game, PC comes from behind to win by a point on a 2pt conversion with seconds left. There was also the Mercer game in 2007. That was a back and forth game with two great teams going at it. PC pulls this out late in the game too!
wiseguy85 Wrote:Pulaski has played in a lot of great games in the past few years, some we won some we lost. 2008 playoff game against Whitley Co. Great game. Hard hitting game. Whitley pulled it out late after Pulaski came from behind to take the lead late in the 4th Quarter. The to 2008 KNox Central game at home, again a great game, PC comes from behind to win by a point on a 2pt conversion with seconds left. There was also the Mercer game in 2007. That was a back and forth game with two great teams going at it. PC pulls this out late in the game too!

If you are talking Pulaski County there can probably be no game crazier and maybe better than 2003 vs. Waggener in the AAA playoffs. Maroons held off a crazy comback to win 82-68. No OVERTIMES! :yikes:

Probably the Maroons best team as their only 2 losses were to eventual AAA champ Boyle County. :Thumbs:
2 best games I was ever a part of were in the same year, 1979.

Somerset was ranked #4 in AA when Boyle came to town. Jumpers dominated the first half and took a 17-7 lead just before halftime. 2nd half was all Rebels as Boyle stormed back to take a 27-17 lead and hold off a long, late drive by the Jumpers near the goal line and keep their 10 point cushion.

Danville and Boyle squared off at the end of the season. Boyle fell behind 7-0 on a 96 yd run by Purnell Donehy of Danville. Rebels countered with 2 TD runs to go up 14-7 before Danville tied it at 14 for an even half.

In the 2nd half no one scored again until about 4 minutes remained in the game. The Ads drove to about the Rebel 10 and went for a FG. Snap was botched and a pass was intercepted by the Rebels NT Robert Gilliam and returned to the Danville 15. Ray Whitehouse scored soon after on an outside scamper to put Boyle up 21-14.

With only 3 minutes left on the clock Danville marched down the field and scored with :23 left on a Donehy run and he tacked on the 2 pt conversion to push the Admirals up 22-21.

On the ensuing kickoff Boyle returned to midfield. Completed one pass to the 35 of Danville. After an incompletion left :03 left Boyle snapped it and C.T. Wolfe heaved one to the back of the end zone where Tim Warren out jumped the Danville secondary to grab the TD pass with no time left.

It was the last time that Boyle would defeat the Ads until 1996. :Thumbs:
Hatz Wrote:If you are talking Pulaski County there can probably be no game crazier and maybe better than 2003 vs. Waggener in the AAA playoffs. Maroons held off a crazy comback to win 82-68. No OVERTIMES! :yikes:

Probably the Maroons best team as their only 2 losses were to eventual AAA champ Boyle County. :Thumbs:

Yeah I think Cole Draughn had something like 500+ yards of total offense in that one. IIRC he was named USA Today National Player of the Week for his performance.
2004 Rockcastle County beat Lincoln County 18-13 on a last second hail mary pass. That win gave Coach Tom Larkey his 200th Win. That is one of the best games I have ever seen.

2005 First round of the playoffs. Rockcastle and Mason county. Mason county was down by 1 had the ball on the 20 yard line, and was going to try to kick the game winning field goal as time expired but the kick was no good. Mason kicker was kicking 40+ field goals before the game. Rock went on to the state semi finals and lost to state champs lex cath

2009 Rockcastle County and pulaski county game was crazy. Alot of big plays by both teams. Rockcastle started great a jumped up big on pc. Rock RB Clark Rowe and 342 rushing yards with 4 td. rock was up 41-28 with only 5 minutes to go. PC storms back and with some onside kicks and and some big plays took the lead with under 10 seconds to play. Pulaski 47 Rockcastle 41

2009 Rockcastle and Knox central. Big district game that almost got postponed due to bad weather. game was pushed back 2 hours. Knox central took control early but Rock came back and sent the game into overtime. Knox scored first in overtime and took the lead by 7. Two plays later Rock scored but with sloppy field condition they try for the win and went for two but was stoped. knox won 20-19. Knox became 2nd in district and got a home playoff game. Rockcastle was 3rd and had to travle to rowan.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:2004 Rockcastle County beat Lincoln County 18-13 on a last second hail mary pass. That win gave Coach Tom Larkey his 200th Win. That is one of the best games I have ever seen.

2005 First round of the playoffs. Rockcastle and Mason county. Mason county was down by 1 had the ball on the 20 yard line, and was going to try to kick the game winning field goal as time expired but the kick was no good. Mason kicker was kicking 40+ field goals before the game. Rock went on to the state semi finals and lost to state champs lex cath

2009 Rockcastle County and pulaski county game was crazy. Alot of big plays by both teams. Rockcastle started great a jumped up big on pc. Rock RB Clark Rowe and 342 rushing yards with 4 td. rock was up 41-28 with only 5 minutes to go. PC storms back and with some onside kicks and and some big plays took the lead with under 10 seconds to play. Pulaski 47 Rockcastle 41

2009 Rockcastle and Knox central. Big district game that almost got postponed due to bad weather. game was pushed back 2 hours. Knox central took control early but Rock came back and sent the game into overtime. Knox scored first in overtime and took the lead by 7. Two plays later Rock scored but with sloppy field condition they try for the win and went for two but was stoped. knox won 20-19. Knox became 2nd in district and got a home playoff game. Rockcastle was 3rd and had to travle to rowan.

I remember a great game between Rock and Whitley at Whitley in 99.
It was neck and neck the whole game and it was tied in the 4th qtr when Whitley took the lead but missed the extra point. I knew that was gonna kill us. So with a 20-14 lead, Rock scored late in the 4th and won the game 21-20 for the district championship. Both beat bell, knox, cawood, and knott county central in other district matchups to finsh 1 and 2.
However that year Whitley took a 8-2 record into the playoffs with there only losses coming to bellevue in the first game of the year when Whitley had several players out and the rock loss. But the first round pitted Whitley against a good Lawrence Co. team that steamrolled us 68-20.
Craziest games i was apart of:
1- LCC vs Clay County in 07. We was down at half 30-6 and won 40-37. 2 bad snaps on 4th and long actually helped us win with 1 going for a td run by the punter and the other was a 30+ yard gain.
2-LCC @ Whitley in 07- won in OT with a XP, Heat was crazy! Drained everyone
3-LCC@pcc in 08- bad snap on a field goal with 33 seconds left beat us. It was a very physical game.
4-LCC vs Shelby Valley(JV)- Close game up till the end. I put it on this list because the game was threatened to be ended before halftime because a sideline clearing fight with less than 2 mins before halftime. it was quite a game to be apart. i remember one of our coaches as i ran on the field grab me by my shoulder pads at one of the hash marks of the sideline and picked me off of my feet. If im not mistaken we had a freshman who jumped out of the stands w/o any pads to run onto the field until he was grabbed by another coach.
5- LCC @ Breathitt County (scrimidge in 08) It was set up as 3 quarters so the freshman could play the 4th. It was real close, i think the final was like 28 to 20 or something Breathitt won, but there was a huge sideline clearing fight that lasted like 5 minutes or so before the coaches and refs could get everything settled. i think there was like 6 ejections due to the fight. It was one of the most physical games i have ever played.