Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has Co-Ed Cheerleading Hurt Participation In Other Sports?
Okay--this isn't about calling out cheerleading being a bad thing--

But, at the school where I coach, there have been numerous boys who have left other sports to become members of the cheerleading team.

Is this a growing trend across the state?
No it hasn't. 2 years ago, Belfry's Co-ed squad was comprised of 15 girls and 5 guys. 4 of those 5 guys were the starting linemen on the 2003 2A State Championship football team. None of them played basketball, so after football season was over, they began practicinge with the cheerleading squad for basketball season. It was something to keep them conditioned and in shape for the next football season.

If a boy chooses to participate in cheerleading instead of the "normal" sport that guys usually participate than that is his choice and should not affect anyone else at all or the sport that everyone else thinks he should compete in.
there are hundreds of coed squads acros the country. it was a growing trend about 10 years ago.
And before some of the guys come in and say cheerleading is for girls ...

Compare your average cheerleader with your average football lineman. Now seriously, who would you rather hang out with? Smile
That is funny too. I got injured my junior year cheering, and every doctor i went to see said that they had more cheerleaders in there than football players. How tough is that!!
Local newspaper ran a feature on cheerleading on the front of the area section two weeks ago ... the headline was "You can't spell cheerleader without ER".
haha that is great. It is sad that so many injuries have to happen though. But when you are throwing people 20-30 ft in the air and flipping about all the time its hard not to have an injury or two.
"PvilleCheerAlum" Wrote:That is funny too. I got injured my junior year cheering, and every doctor i went to see said that they had more cheerleaders in there than football players. How tough is that!!

In all fairness-I would also say that football players prepare theirselves for their sport a lot better than cheerleaders do. (I have never seen any cheerleaders in the weight room or running to get in better shape).

There may be some that do--but they are still not physically prepared in the same mode.

Also, as PikevilleCheerAlum stated (and it may be against where you were going), the activities are different. Collisions versus vertical injuries. That could also be the difference as well.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:In all fairness-I would also say that football players prepare theirselves for their sport a lot better than cheerleaders do. (I have never seen any cheerleaders in the weight room or running to get in better shape).

There may be some that do--but they are still not physically prepared in the same mode.

Also, as PikevilleCheerAlum stated (and it may be against where you were going), the activities are different. Collisions versus vertical injuries. That could also be the difference as well.

I know Belfry's cheerleaders used to have to take weight training classes and do run before practice (I'm almost positive they still do, as I'm sure many other squads do the same)
"Phoenix" Wrote:I know Belfry's cheerleaders used to have to take weight training classes and do run before practice (I'm almost positive they still do, as I'm sure many other squads do the same)

:thumb:
At Prestonsburg we run and condition. The summer before last we took aerobics twice a week and then right after class was over we ran a mile or so around the track. We also take gymnastics.
I've had 3 major injuries cheering (one required surgery and the others both on crutches) and one doctor I went to told me he thought cheerleading 'WAS FOOTBALL WITH NO PADS!!' lol
No offense guys--but I would be interested to see how cheerleaders lifting compares to the average football program. With the cardiovascular stuff may even be better than some football teams--but is the weight program truly designed to maximize performance AND prevent injuries?

My first inclination is to doubt that it does. But I could be persuaded with some workout examples.
most stunts involved with cheerleading arent as hard physically as they look. with cheerleading it is all about the technique. with good technique, some of the weakest members of the squad can hold someone their same size.

with bad technique, or in learning new tricks and the process of developing stunt technique is where most accidents and injurys happen with stunting.

they you have tumbling, and cheerleaders suffer just about as many injurys tumbling as any other person who takes tumbling classes. its just the risk you take when you tumble. (and you shouldn't try any new tricks until you have been spotted a sufficient amount of times or without a trainer present)
I guess training all depends on the caliber of the athlete. The good ones train hard, football, basketball and yes even cheerleading. The jumps, tumbling and stunting take years and years of training and practice.  I'd love to put a football player in for a 2 1/2 minute routine with jumps, tumbling, motions and stunts.  It takes alot of endurance and my guess would be those that train alot may be able to endure it but the skill level and how the skills are attain are different. so its kind of like comparing apples and oranges as far as how they train but the time and dedication are not any different.