Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the most overated star in pro sports
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:No offense--but I know for a fact that my football judgement is just a tad bit better than yours. I wish I could sugar coat things for you--but that would be a waste of your time and mine.

Leadership? Yeah--I am sure that Manning doesn't have any leadership qualities. He leads by example--he studies, works, practices pretty hard.

Inspiring Your Team? Do you know anything about the NFL? If you have to be "inspired" to be there--then you aren't there. These guys get PAID to play. This isn't Pop Warner or High School. They play because they get paid. Pro players don't do the "get one for the gipper thing". Someone has been watching a little too much tv . . . . .

Leading your team in the clutch? If I remember correctly--the Colts were 14-2 in the regular season. That doesn't happen by accident. Also--if you will notice--the colts have been significantly better since Manner joined the Colts. How do you explain that again?

And before you say that Manning hasn't won any big games--remember this name JOHN ELWAY. He didn't sniff a Super Bowl win until his career is over. Therefore, your arguement carries NO WEIGHT.

As far as being "uninformed"--I will put my football background up against yours any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Bring it.

Leadership- yeah, all that matters, but if you can't lead in the game none of that matters. I'll keep on that topic: 14-2, ok, the Steelers didn't even win their division- went 11-5, they're in the Super Bowl- guess which team is going to have the more memorable year and the year that accomplished more?

Inspiring your team- you answered your own question, they get paid to play and because they have talent, not because of passion for the game. Take Tom Brady- great leader because he leads by example and the players konw that Brady will get the job done, so they do their job too.

And before you say that John Elway didn't sniff a Super Bowl until his career was over, remember that John Elway wasn't on teams that were loaded with talent like Manning has been. Manning's teams have been loaded with enough talent to beat any team in most years, and you prove that by saying that they went 14-2.

If you can't win the big games in the playoffs and Super Bowl, it doesn't matter if you go 16-0. You answered most of your questions by pointing out stuff with your football background, but think about the points I made, and bring your football background to the playing field.
"BFritz" Wrote:Leadership- yeah, all that matters, but if you can't lead in the game none of that matters. I'll keep on that topic: 14-2, ok, the Steelers didn't even win their division- went 11-5, they're in the Super Bowl- guess which team is going to have the more memorable year and the year that accomplished more?

Inspiring your team- you answered your own question, they get paid to play and because they have talent, not because of passion for the game. Take Tom Brady- great leader because he leads by example and the players konw that Brady will get the job done, so they do their job too.

And before you say that John Elway didn't sniff a Super Bowl until his career was over, remember that John Elway wasn't on teams that were loaded with talent like Manning has been. Manning's teams have been loaded with enough talent to beat any team in most years, and you prove that by saying that they went 14-2.

If you can't win the big games in the playoffs and Super Bowl, it doesn't matter if you go 16-0. You answered most of your questions by pointing out stuff with your football background, but think about the points I made, and bring your football background to the playing field.

When I bring my own background into the picture--you are correct--I did answer my own questions. And I guess I didn't explain things well enough. Simply because I thought I was pretty clear.

In regard to the first point--keep in mind---the win total may not matter--but you have to win games in the NFL or you don't even make the playoffs. Pittsburgh's record has a little more to do with the fact that their QB was out for a period of time. With him back there-they win more games easily.

Elway may have made it to the super bowl, but I think that most would argue that he had a lot of talent to work with as well. And their wasn't even anywhere near as much parity as there is now. As his career progressed, that is when things worked out for him (to the point where some of his skills were deterriorating).

In the end--if things stay the same as now--then your argument is valid. But now, at the very least, it is way too early to talk about Manning being over rated.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:When I bring my own background into the picture--you are correct--I did answer my own questions. And I guess I didn't explain things well enough. Simply because I thought I was pretty clear.

In regard to the first point--keep in mind---the win total may not matter--but you have to win games in the NFL or you don't even make the playoffs. Pittsburgh's record has a little more to do with the fact that their QB was out for a period of time. With him back there-they win more games easily.

Elway may have made it to the super bowl, but I think that most would argue that he had a lot of talent to work with as well. And their wasn't even anywhere near as much parity as there is now. As his career progressed, that is when things worked out for him (to the point where some of his skills were deterriorating).

In the end--if things stay the same as now--then your argument is valid. But now, at the very least, it is way too early to talk about Manning being over rated.

I don't think so because, like I said, Elway made it to a Super Bowl, and he may have had some talent, but he's not loaded with it like Manning is year in and year out
I don't see that BF. He had 3 receivers with over a 1000 yards in the same season. That sounds like a lot of talent to me!